Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are you a dipper?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I only dip with my Rowell ladles when I need to. Too slow going for me! Only 3 of my many molds are fussy and need to be used that way. Otherwise, I crank 600-800 perfect boolits with bottom pour and 6 cav brass molds.

And do not forget "pressure casting" using the 4-20. By forcing the Pb into the mold under its own head pressure in the pot, you can many times get excellent drops and forget the ladle slow-down. Just put the nozzle right down in the sprue hole..................and watch out for squirting Pb!!!!!!!!!!
    This is correct and also important when pressure pouring from a pot is the speed the alloy comes out of the pot and how high the lead level is. If the stream is too fast it may give you a void in the base and if the pot is too full, it may squirt out past your connection between the mold and the spout. For large BPCR bullets, I always pressure pour with a homemade ladle that holds quite a lot of lead for more pressure and if shooting in competition with pistols I always pressure pour my pistol bullets from the bottom but for just typical shooting, I bottom pour without pressure but even then, temperature, which bullet size, alloy, bullet length, and what the mold is made of matters. After a while you can get to where you can decide what is necessary and make your changes as needed.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Dipping was the only way I stopped smoking 20 years ago, now if only I can stop dipping. At least I gave my lungs a break.

BTW, I only cast boolits from the bottom, save the ladling for rendering wheel weights.

Slim
    A good friend has been on his last can of Copenhagen for the twenty five years.

Boolit Buddy
    Started casting 20 some odd years ago with a small cast iron pot on an ancient Coleman stove converted to propane. Did pretty well for years casting with a dipper. Scored a well seasoned Lee bottom pour furnace in a trade deal and gave it a try. Second time I used it , it damn near electrocuted me, back to the cast iron pot. 7-8 years ago I bought a new Lee 4-20 pot and got comfortable with the bottom pour but the dripping just kept getting worse over time no matter how much I fussed with it. I also started casting big bullets for .45-70 BPCR loads and bottom pour wasn't getting it done. took the bottom pour mechanism out of the Lee pot and sealed the hole with a big screw, back to dipper casting.
    Now that I'm retired I'm looking at getting a bigger Lyman or RCBS furnaces and just can't quite make up my mind on a bottom pour or dipper furnace.

I used the Lee 10 and 20 lb bottom drippers for about 20 years. I did what I could trying to keep them from constantly dripping and eventually seized up and just used them as ladle casting.

About five years ago I bought the rcbs easy melt. It is a ladle casting pot and has been excellent. Set to your desired temperature and cast away.
    I think there is a place for both, I mostly shoot military rifles so it works for me.