MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching the Children to Shoot

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivergaci View Post
    Spending time at a gun club is a fun way to bring your family together. I remember when I considered adopting a kid due to my inability to have children and what we would do in our free time. As I decided to adopt a boy with the help of https://fosterplus.org, I asked him about what he would like to do together, and he said that shooting sounds gripping. We have visited different gun clubs since then, and the most exciting part is that my husband wasn't fond of this activity, but we somehow convinced him to try. Now we are having so much fun together.
    Just saw this. Brings tears to my eyes. How blessed you all are to have each other!

I started my youngest grandchick Sammy, with the Red Ryder in the back yard. The light weight rifle was about all she could hold at that age. I think maybe 6 years.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1141.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	295533

First 22 action was with this little Remington #6 boy's rifle. It was a little heavy though.

Name:	IMG_1706.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	295534

I put her behind a full sized Rem 511 with a bi-pod. Even though the scope was too far from her eye, she made it work, and really tore it up. This day really got her down with target acquisition and trigger control. She could literally nail anything out to 50 yds.

Name:	IMG_2124.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	295535

FINALLY -- I got her a dedicated rifle of her own. Lil Cricket.

Name:	IMG_3253.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	295536

The stock was still kind of low for her iddy-biddy face, so we made a redneck Monte Carlo riser, and the fit was perfect.

Name:	IMG_3822.jpeg 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	295538

Sam has been able to shoot this little gun pretty durned well, and this is where it all lead to. This is her first kill, at over fifty yards, and I just about cried tears of joy. I'm a lucky guy to have spent the quality time I have with her, and it's not over yet. Some day maybe I'll have a pic of her first buck. jd

Name:	IMG_3813.jpeg 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	295539
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The most important thing we can do for our hobby/passion is to get youngsters involved in it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Yup, 13 is the age Boy Scouts can qualify for their Riflery merit badge. I've had them casting their own round balls the night before if they want to qualify with muzzle loaders! They love it, get to make their own balls and then shoot them.

We qualify them during a camping trip, so they are casting outdoors over a Coleman stove.
    fwiw- since BSA became Scouts USA , I thing the girls can join and participate in Scout shooting , something the girl scouts did not do.

Boolit Master

Awesome ! Reminds me of my daughter 30 years back at 8 with her little Chipmunk(peep sight only though) . Used the same one to start the grandboy out with when he was 6 . Good times !

Way back when, I had the privilege of teaching my 5-year old niece to shoot with a Beretta Minx in .22 short. She was able to operate the tip-up barrel on her own and was shooting very well at ranges up to about five yards. The smile on her face made it all worth while!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    deadpan: Don't know the area you live in but try these numbers, they are Single Action Shooting Society members that run clubs in Alaska. They should be able to help you with info and maybe a club to shot at close to you.

907-982-5017. Flaco Joe. Mat-Valley Sportsmans Shooting Range Palmer. Alaska 49ers

907-982-5097. Flaco Joe. Mat-Valley Sportsmans Shooting Range Palmer. Alaska 49ers Wild Bunch

205-616-9395. Derringer Di Old York Shootists Cowboy Action Shooting Range. Fairbanks. Golden Heart Shootist Society

907-500-9735. Coho Cowboy. Hank Harmon Rifle Range. Juneau. Juneau Gold Miners Posse