Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: .226 and .227 boolits

.226 and .227 boolits

Anyone tried bullets sized to .226 or .227 in rifles cambered in .223,5.56,or .223 wyled ( bolt ,semi auto what have you) ? Any interesting findings ?
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    I went from sizing 225 to 226 and groups shrunk. I then started powder coating and gained a bit as well. This from AR's and a bolt rifle.

Thank you ! Just what I was hoping
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy
    Throat dimensions might be the key to this. I had a 9x56 MS with .353" groove diameter and a long throat that began at .359". Bullets sized .354" wouldn't shoot worth a pinch of the proverbial, but .360" were tack drivers.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Master
    As Wilderness said, throat dimensions are the key. Also, the as cast dimensions of bullets from your mold. As a rule, I use the largest diameter bullet I can that will chamber easily, not just .22 caliber, but in all calibers. Quite a few are used as cast, without sizing. I make my own sizing dies, about .0005 larger than the bullet, and just use them to apply lube. I also make my neck expanding dies, so that I don't squeeze the larger bullets smaller when seating. So far, all my rifles shoot their best groups with as large as will chamber easily bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

My go to "sizing" is .226 - .227 for most of my factory/military chambered .22 cals. The exception being one tighter match chambered rifle. Most of my .225 moulds drop bullets cast of #2 alloy at .227 - .228. I seat and crimp on the GC in a .225 H&I die in a Lyman 450 using the GC seater. That does not size the drive bands. I then lube those in a .228 H&I die which does not size them. Those give the best accuracy in my 22 Hornets, my 223/5.56s and 22-250. In the one match 223 with a tight minimum spec match chamber, I then size the GC'd and lubed bullets in a .225 Lee push through sizer.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Another piece of the puzzle , interesting
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master

In rifle chambers the bullet should be a tight slip fit into, but not larger than, the throat of the chamber.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

I use a .226 sizer for 223/556 and 22H
    But my new CZ-527 (222rem) prefers .225
    When I bought the custom 226 sizer, I also bought a .227, but that one has never got used.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001