Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45 ACP seating die that does not crimp?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunwonk View Post
    Now you've done it. My OCD is hiding under the house, and won't come out.
    That's OK ...but drag him out when it comes times to measure powder and to get 1 and only 1 charge in a case ... It's fine to be OCD when it comes to charging cases ...
    I get kinda OCD myself and check the charge 3 times before a bullet gets seated ... when I first started reloading I once didn't put a charge in a case ...the primer powered boolit stuck in the forcing cone ...
    been OCD about that ever since .
    Carry On and Load Safe
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I do not think Lee dies crimp, but I would just get a 45 Colt die set as was mentioned. Additionally, you can normally get away with the 45Colt sizing die instead of the ACP sizer.

For the roll crimp: Redding Profile Crimp Die 45 ACP, 45 Auto Rim

Boolit Master
    Use your present seater normally and don't sweat the very tiny details. Agonizing over precisely consistent OAL and crimping is usually an exercise in futility, especially so for handguns. Handguns aren't Bench shooter accurate to start with so they just don't care about it all that much.

Boolit Buddy
    If your die set included an expander die and you're not using it, you may be able to remove the seating stem and install it in the expander die body. The seat/crimp die without a stem becomes a crimp-only die and the expander body with the seat stem installed becomes a seat-only die.

Boolit Buddy

First off, Thanks! to the folks who suggested using the seating die for a longer .45 cartridge, such as .45 Colt (or Schofield, or .45 Win Mag). I happen to have an extra RCBS .45 ACP seat & taper crimp die, and will be posting a "WTT" for a taller .45 die, in the Swapping & Selling forum.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra1911 View Post
    If your die set included an expander die and you're not using it, you may be able to remove the seating stem and install it in the expander die body. The seat/crimp die without a stem becomes a crimp-only die and the expander body with the seat stem installed becomes a seat-only die.
    Brilliant! I've got an extra expander die, and I've checked for interchangeability of the seating & expanding stems -- which doesn't always work, depending on whose reloading dies you have, but in my case it does -- so this will be my fallback method unless & until I come up with a suitable taller-.45 seating die.

(My OCD points out that there's a little more diameter inside the expander die body, so a proper seating die would give slightly better control of cartridge position, but I sent him back under the house.)

Thanks again, everyone!