Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another book release thread (sci fi)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I can't believe it has been four years already. I got your book when you first posted on this thread. Wow. Where does time go?
    MrWolf - yes, as we said on submarines, fun flies when you're doing time.

Earlier for previous book a synopsis was requested. Here is the lead in for the virtual inner cover of the book:

What is WISLOD

WISLOD is an acronym derived from “What IS Left Of Deimos”.

Construction of the first Space Cable (space elevator) in the Solar System requires relocation of the Martian moons Phobos and Deimos. During those moves, the moons provide raw materials for construction.

The rubble pile remnant of Phobos is encased in the Counterweight, which exerts tension on the Space Cable.

The solid remnant of Deimos is parked in stationary orbit at the intersection of the Martian Space Cable and Mars synchronous orbit altitude.

During Space Cable assembly, WISLOD becomes the informal name for any and all of the various facilities, machine shops, administrative offices, and private enterprises carved into the remnant of Deimos. The Shuttle Dock and Space Dock provide conditions allowing safe transfer of personnel, hardware, and cargo between docked spaceships and Martian Habitat One.

Completion of the Space Cable ushers in fuel-economic exploration and development of the Martian surface. WISLOD becomes the hub of Martian commerce. With less than five percent of its volume in use, WISLOD orbits Mars, ready to support humanity’s expansion into the Outer Solar System.

The WISLOD Bar & Grill welcomes spacers, tourists, and resident Martians to mingle over fine drinks and Worlds Class dining in a microgravity environment.

WISLOD is host to the Regency/Barsoom, a 5-Star microgravity hotel unlike hotels in Low Earth Orbit, or the Earth-Moon Lagrange Habitats. Both the WISLOD Bar & Grill, and the Regency/Barsoom hotel share panoramic views of Mars unequaled anywhere in the Solar System.

WISLOD is the signature destination for tourists, scientists, engineers, and business people from the Inner System.

WISLOD is the jumping off point for Asteroid Belt exploration and development.

WISLOD is the nexus for a growing population of young Martians, writing their own chapters in Human History.

Welcome to WISLOD!
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Retired = every day feels like Saturday EXCEPT Saturday

Moderator Emeritus

Grabbed the kindle version! I have a couple books cued up ahead of it so will be a week or two before I get to it...

MaryB

Be truthful in any reviews and if you liked it let your friends know. Kindle's advertising process is a little on the complicated side for me, and I was trained on nuclear submarines, so go figure. Guess I'm getting old!
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Boolit Grand Master

I'm the second book in on a 4 book series right now that is quite good. I'll be happy to download it and give it a review. Nice to see people on here writing books.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Congratulations! Even if it is four years too late...

I published my own murder/mystery on Amazon and it has gotten great reviews. Hoping to start on the next book in the series soon.

It's a great feeling to complete a novel and have it released, even though you never feel it is completely perfect. The local library has a copy available and has wanted to do a book signing event, but I would feel totally embarrassed to take on such an endeavor. I wrote the thing for fun and was mildly sauced for most of it.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Jonp - thanks, every little bit helps. The actual Fantasy and Sci Fi Facebook group I belong to has shown zero interest. Don't know who I p--sed off, but there you have it.

I'm particularly interested in whether people want the story to continue beyond this volume or give it the quiet thumbs down. Time will tell.
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Idaho45guy

Yes, sitting and signing books would feel awkward. Being mildly sauced can also be framed as 'writing with a sufficiently liberated imagination'.

I tried paperback publishing and ended up buying back the rights to the book when the publisher went bust. Then I did what any good author would do - I rewrote and expanded the story. That is now titled "An Alien's Task" (also on Kindle).

Completing a novel for me leaves this curious feeling that something got left behind and it will catch up to me sometime in the future when I start writing more of that story line. I don't think a story is ever actually ended. It just have too many other things in the way. (A sequel to "Nelf Rings" is trapped on my hard drive. I think it might get needed attention soon.
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JackQuest View Post
    Jonp - thanks, every little bit helps. The actual Fantasy and Sci Fi Facebook group I belong to has shown zero interest. Don't know who I p--sed off, but there you have it.

I'm particularly interested in whether people want the story to continue beyond this volume or give it the quiet thumbs down. Time will tell.
    Sometimes continuing a series can lead to strained reading... like the writer worked way to hard to continue it... Honor Harrington series has been that way in the last few books.

Boolit Grand Master

Finished it. Couple of comments - first, this is an intricately plotted novel that has many threads and not all of them are resolved. Clearly set up for a series. Second, characterizations are excellent. People you can believe, may want for a neighbor, or maybe not given the character. Probably under estimated the long term and comprehensive effects of PTSD, but that would take a textbook to delve into, so I understand why it was done. Very well written, the kind of book you don't want to put down. It is not an 'easy read' - life is not easy and neither is this book. The ending seemed a little hurried, like you didn't know exactly how to end it. If this is part of a series that I understand - if it is a stand alone then the ending and unresolved characters and themes are a problem. This is one of the better books I have read this year, perhaps the best. If you can maintain this level of writing - go for it. The series, I mean.

Mary, I agree about the Honor Harrington series. I haven't even looked for one of those books for the past three or four years.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Wayne: thanks for the kind words! Yes, this is the first part of a 3 book series. I am in the clean-up phase for the 2nd and 3rd books, and will post when they come up on Kindle.

If you have not read it, you might enjoy my novel "Nelf Rings" as well.
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Boolit Grand Master

Hold It, it was the "Neff Rings" that I was reviewing! - are there more to that series? I'm gonna have to see if the local library carries your books!

I remember reading a writing commentary by Robert Asimov where he was commenting on his Foundation series where he expressed his amazement that it sold. Three whole books, he wrote, where nothing happens! You are not guilty of that!

BTW - I looked at your location. East edge of which bell curve?
    Wayne the Shrink

Wayne:

Thought I replied to your post, guess I did something wrong. East edge of the dumb as a box of rocks Bell Curve.

If you liked the format of Nelf Rings you should like "WISLOD 1 - Nyla & Scylla". Books 2 and 3 are in the finishing stages. I read some of Asimov's works - slow and dull. Could never understand why everyone thought they were great. I really like reading Jack Vance. His Planet of Adventure books (which is a terrible title for the series) are some of his best but also almost unknown. I'd like to see Peter Jackson or the guy doing Dune to make a 4 part miniseries out of it. And I like Larry Niven, particularly The Mote in God's Eye.

Anyhow, thanks for the review. And pass along your reviews to your friends. Word of mouth is great.
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Moderator Emeritus

Actually had lunch with Isacc Asimov as he was the speaker at our graduation and I was in charge of paying him. I ended up drinking more than I should have but he was interesting from what I remember. Should have gotten him to sign my copy of I Robot, but was young and dumb.

Boolit Grand Master

You might look up H. Beam Piper - was a very good writer (Fuzzy series, time line series) but thought himself a failure and committed suicide.

I hoped you continued the Neff Rings series since you left so many threads unresolved. I read the first of your first series but thought the idea of a civilization that could manipulate genetics and clone but did not understand the XY chromosome somewhat disingenuous.
    Wayne the Shrink

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JackQuest View Post
    Wayne:

Thought I replied to your post, guess I did something wrong. East edge of the dumb as a box of rocks Bell Curve.

If you liked the format of Nelf Rings you should like "WISLOD 1 - Nyla & Scylla". Books 2 and 3 are in the finishing stages. I read some of Asimov's works - slow and dull. Could never understand why everyone thought they were great. I really like reading Jack Vance. His Planet of Adventure books (which is a terrible title for the series) are some of his best but also almost unknown. I'd like to see Peter Jackson or the guy doing Dune to make a 4 part miniseries out of it. And I like Larry Niven, particularly The Mote in God's Eye.

Anyhow, thanks for the review. And pass along your reviews to your friends. Word of mouth is great.
    Niven's Ringworld series was excellent reading also!

Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper is a great book, particularly for the younger reader. However, his short story Omnilingual is perhaps one of the best stories of a possible Mars, now long gone with human "aresologists" digging up their cities submerged in sand. It's about "cracking the code" on ancient Martian texts. I believe both are available thru the Gutenberg Project.
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Boolit Grand Master

Do you know the story of Ring World? Niven published it, writing based on Dyson's sphere which made Dyson a famous name in some circles. Next SiFi convention there was a group of scientists with signs and chanting "Ringworld is unstable, Ringworld is unstable". Larry Niven sat down with them and, they were right! So he published Ringworld Engineers!
    Wayne the Shrink

Have read Ringworld series several times. The characters are a little on the "cartoony" side for development, but that has to go to the future when being or not being at the top of the food chain is forgotten.

Rather liked The Mote in God's Eye more as the Moties (primary aliens) are probably in the top 3 species in Science Fiction. Top of the list is Tweel by Stanley Weinbaum, written in the 1930s, then the Moties and after that I'm not sure. For a 3rd alien I think Niven's puppeteers come close. Most aliens in written fiction are just the same "human in foam rubber" that Star Trek aliens are on TV. Boring and predictable because they aren't aliens, they are humans in silly suits. Just my opinion. Same goes for AI from Hollywood. A human "soul" trapped on a circuit board.

I tried very hard to make the Nelf (Xxnnff) leave behind incomprehensible but possible technology. Things that humans accidentally activate because we really are better at breaking things than at making things.

BTW: Asimov was supposed to have liked the Tweel character very much.
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die