Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: third deer with a 327 federal, first with a solid bullet

Thank you for all your OP is , this is the info I been wondering about for this cartridge, I know it can do the job on what you can use it on but do not know about the end use and the size boolit to use and the alloy to use. You use the 32-20 data for your heavy boolits for data?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Thank you for all your OP is , this is the info I been wondering about for this cartridge, I know it can do the job on what you can use it on but do not know about the end use and the size boolit to use and the alloy to use. You use the 32-20 data for your heavy boolits for data?
    If you search, you might be able to find the first deer I shot with a 143gr HP I think 3 years ago. There wasn't much to see, as he stood up as I was coming in for lunch about 10 yards from me. I drew and fired, ended up hitting the spine and he dropped on the spot. Bullet passed through. Another good one was I think Sixguns took a nice pronghorn with the 135gr hp "sledgehammer", and I think he has good pictures of the lungs and such.

For data, I originally started off going from the 140gr (135gr HP) MP "sledgehammer" data other guys had figured out. I now more or less do all my own load workups. I have a thread called something like "327 federal heavy bullets", where I test a number of bullets and powders in the 130 to 167 grain range. I think I might even have some 120 gr data in there. Most powders I can recall are Bluedot, AA#9, H110, and later on 300-MP. I find best accuracy with Bluedot and H110 for the most part.

Ok thank you for letting me know . It helps.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned
    not to be a spoil sport, but how would you compare this to a 158 grain swc over a full alliant load of 2400?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    not to be a spoil sport, but how would you compare this to a 158 grain swc over a full alliant load of 2400?
    I'm going to assume you are talking about a 357 magnum. I have identical 5" GP100's, one in 327 federal, and one in 357 magnum. The 327 federal with 148 gr bullets can get up to about 1300 fps max with H110. The 357 magnum with 158 gr, I've clocked bullets up to 1450 fps. I have never loaded tried Alliants max of 2400 with a 158gr. They list 1265 fps with a 10" barrel, but I have a hard time believing they are that slow. Let say with a 158gr SWC in 357 magnum and 2400, it's running 1200-1250 fps, same as the 327 federal. If that is the case, I really doubt you will notice any differences between the two cartridges at all. I've compared deer side by side shot with hard cast 357 magnum (keith bullet), and hard cast 44 magnum (cast core), and I couldn't tell any difference at all. Both made about 44 caliber holes all the way through.

If you are willing to make ammo to optimize the gun, then that's a whole other ball game. A 180gr HP in a 357 magnum is a nasty thing, and if you lean on it a little up to that European CIP pressure, I'd bet you could tell the difference between a 140gr HP at 1250 fps in a 327 federal, to a 180gr HP at 1350 fps in the 357 magnum. I'm really surprised this plain base load shoots as good as it does. I still recommend a gas check bullet for both calibers, if you are trying to get softer alloys to shoot good at high pressures.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Very true. I am especially guilty of being "over gunned" using the .308.

There are a handful of people who poach deer in my area and the .22 gets the job done for most of them. I was at a friends house a couple of weeks ago and his nephew showed up for a drink before he going out to get a deer. He brought his "big gun"...a .22 Mag. Not condoning either the act of poaching, or having a drink before using a gun but that is the reality in many rural areas.
    We are in the same “rural area” for sure- deer beer and 22 mags. And in Kalkaska the opener for rifle season falls anywhere between the 10-14 of November while the rest of us have to wait for Nov 15th.
    To the OP very nice write up- I e been on the fence about the little .327 as well, but being that we are so .357 and 44 heavy it’s just not in the cards now.
    The final move down south may have us pairing down the arsenal and picking up a few new tools to play and hunt with.

Boolit Buddy
    All I can say is at first my thoughts were the 327 is a little small. Guess not. A 30 carbine works at 100 yards so why wouldn't a 327 work closer. I see it does. It would not be legal here in Iowa. Keep shooting and showing the results. I like 2400 over H110. To me it is more accurate.
    Steve

Boolit Bub
    I’ve wanted a 327mag since ruger announced them a bunch of years ago. Wasn’t in the cards then, and now I don’t know how I’d use it in the field. glad you’re enjoying yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please tell us about the muzzle blast. Is it similar to a .357 Magnum in a similar length barrel? Because of my shooting I have lost a significant part of my hearing. Tinnitus. I would not like to lose more.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    Please tell us about the muzzle blast. Is it similar to a .357 Magnum in a similar length barrel? Because of my shooting I have lost a significant part of my hearing. Tinnitus. I would not like to lose more.

Jim
    Yes, it's just like a 357 magnum. The only way to stop hearing loss is to use hearing protection. If you find any that isn't garbage, let me know. This year I tried out some hearing aids someone recommended, and during early goose season It felt like the world was spinning. No sense of direction at all. Best thing I've found for deer hunting is to simply have those cheap banded ear plugs around your neck. If you have time, put them in.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the write-up. You definitely have my attention.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy

That's a great write up, better reading on here than anywhere else in the world. At least it's a subject I'm interested in. Great shooting and great performance of the shooter and the boolits!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Buddy
    If .357 weren't the minimum legal bullet diameter for deer in our state I would have to load some of those for my .327 Blackhawk.