Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion Poll

Boolit Bub

Opinion Poll

I'm interested in learning what most people think about caliber popularity. So, here's the question: What would you say is the single MOST USEFUL caliber? By that I mean what caliber can you do the most with? That includes recreational shooting, competition, hunting, home defense, etc.. Kinda like that "What if you could only have one?" question.

You need not expound on your answer, but are welcome to if you are so inclined. Thanks to all for contributing.

IMR

Boolit Grand Master

30-40 Krag
    I can load bullets from a 310 r/b at 650 fps to a 220 grain bullet at 2000 fps. I can asicly duplicate the 22lr, 22 mag, 32 rimfire, 32 and wesson lon, 32 magnum 32-20, 32-40 and still get a full velocity 30-40 Krag. I can kill everything from mouse to moose and still use it for indoor tagret practice. I use round ball, 32 acp 71 gr bullet the soupcan and abut 11 different bullets from 130 to 220 grain, and all these bullets will group better than needed for the intended purpose.

30-30 would by my # 2

Boolit Master
    30 cal, weather its 308, 30-30, 30'06...........

David

Boolit Grand Master

.357 Magnum.

It's pretty hard to pack a concealed carry rifle. The mag can be loaded down for a great plinking and target round or stood on for self defense applications. Carbines loaded with heavy bullets will take pretty much any game from black bear down at reasonable ranges and some have taken much larger game.

Boolit Master
    45/70
    Lots of shooting games , hunting big and small game, shot loads, multi ball loads, wax indoor loads, yata yata yata you get the idea.
    I have boolit weights ranging from 165gn to 550gn and from 2 ton energy to indoor mouse loads with b-wax and primers. I dont see anything else even close to the vercitility of my old pard the 45/70!!!!!
    BIC/BS

Banned

I have to agree with some of you. A large bore like the .44, .45 or 45-70 can be made to do anything from shooting meeses (mouse to most of you, hee, hee.) to bears.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    "The .30/06 is never a mistake." Col. Townsend Whelen.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master
    Ok, I'm partial to the 7.62x54R in the various moisin nagants. First mil surp I ever tried cast bullets in and get really good accuracy. I only use one bullet, lymans 314299. But I have to agree with Bullshop, the 45-70 is another fun caliber to shoot in my ruger #1. Frank

I'd have to go with the .308. While it wouldn't be my first choice for home defense, for recreation, competition, & hunting it does everything I could ask. Plus, as with most of the .30 cals, the ammo is available everywhere if you run short in an emergency or (perish the thought) don't load your own.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by IMR
    I'm interested in learning what most people think about caliber popularity. So, here's the question: What would you say is the single MOST USEFUL caliber? By that I mean what caliber can you do the most with? That includes recreational shooting, competition, hunting, home defense, etc.. Kinda like that "What if you could only have one?" question.

You need not expound on your answer, but are welcome to if you are so inclined. Thanks to all for contributing.

IMR
    By caliber, I assume you mean cartridge.....only one, heaven forbid, but it has to be a 30-06 bolt rifle for me. Quote KCSO for the reasons. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    just outside Sulphur Springs in north east Texas
    I like the 30 cal. No matter if 7.62x54 or 30 06 or 3030 It will kill what ever I have that needs killing thats with cast boolits. Of course thats here in my part of the world.I don't have many bears or moose that needs killing.Matter of fact I can't remember the last time I saw a bear or moose not to mention elk. For deer,wild pigs,coyots and such like,30 cal is king. with cast boolits.I have made do with 22 rim fire.And could do so again.But for my application 30 cal.rifle and 357pistole is the deal.
    God is good all the time

In Remebrance

If I could only have 1 rifle- 35 Whelen.
    1 hangun- 44 Special
    1 shotgun- 16 ga (just 'cuz I like it)
    But without a 22, it'd be a big problem.
    To do everything in the original post- 12 gauge.

Boolit Master
    .22 RF. sundog

Boolit Bub
    Well, so far, the .30 caliber seems to be the favorite. Thank you all for your responses.

IMR

Boolit Master
    Second choice is 12 guage. sundog

Boolit Buddy
    just outside Sulphur Springs in north east Texas
    Sundog
    Got to have a 12ga.Lee slugs at 1400fps is a good thing to have in a md 12 with the pulg out. When you get in the middle of a bunch pigs.that are messing up your pasture.
    God is good all the time

Boolit Buddy

Thutty-thutty is my pick for all around. FWIW, moodyholler
    WTB single shots.

Boolit Bub

Talking

38-55 or 375 win. Maybe when I get around to getting a 45-70 my opinion will change.

Like several guys said, any standard power level .30 caliber. .30-06 would be my choice.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

"One Cartridge" ain't fair!

Now, if you'd said one HANDGUN and one RIFLE cartridge, no problemo.....

I think the choice of cartridge also involves the choice of the firearm in which the cartridge will be used.

My personal choice for cartridge AND RIFLE, would be my NRA 1899 Krag .30-40 carbine, because it performs well with cast or jacketed bullets, handles like lightning, and OOZES class, quality, and history. Also, I've killed enough big animals with the very similar .303 British to have complete faith in the Krag's utility on game.

For a handgun, I'd have to opt for my first-year (1989) S&W .44 magnum Mountain Revolver, my well-used companion in some of the wildest places left on this Earth of ours. It has never seen a jacketed bullet, near as I can recall, nor a factory load. ALL cast boolits, and many of them! Its flexibility makes it a winner for me. I was sure torn about naming a S&W N-frame .357 instead, though.....
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen