RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FN 5.7x28 reloading

Boolit Master

one more try... waste of my time trying to relaod multiple times here. this happens at NO OTHER boards I post at....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5728.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	287580

Boolit Master
    I wasn't planning to lube the cases for this first test. I cleaned em with simple green instead of tumbling, so the coating should still be mostly there. The gun is rough on the cases, so some had quite a bit scraped off, but I just took the 20 best cases to test load.

I also had to hand charge from the pan.

The Lee dies didn't size the neck much, but it was enough to seat jacketed.

I don't plan to cast for this one, I plan to make my kid buy the components and do the case prep, assuming I can come up with a good, consistent load, and I'll just load em up once in a while.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I shot those test rounds yesterday. They seemed really noisy and had an awful lot of flash, but everything cycled right. Then I shot some factory for comparison; also noisy and lots of flash. Basically the same on the smaller charges, a little more on the larger ones.

I was shooting at 10 yards, standing unbraced, mostly checking for function and pressure signs. One set did group noticeably tighter, at 6.6gr of #7. I'd put that off to my shooting, but it was a noticeable difference.

Since that's only 0.1gr over the book minimum, I think I'm happy to load a bunch there and see how a larger group works. I'll switch to 20 round sets and try to get chrono readings and a more realistic look at the spread from a bench.

Now the problem is finding brass. The Five-seveN kicks the brass so far forward it's out past the line where I can pick up at the indoor range, and outdoors they're so small they get lost in the grass. I think he needs a brass catcher for that pistol if he wants me to be able to reload for it.

Anyone selling 5.7 brass?

Boolit Master

Yours kicks forward? Mine kicks back about 45 degrees over my shoulder....equally hard to find.
    Yours a fn or ruger?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Yours kicks forward? Mine kicks back about 45 degrees over my shoulder....equally hard to find.
    Yours a fn or ruger?
    FN. Outdoors it seems to go pretty much straight sideways, but at the indoor range they bounce off the wall mostly forward and go out past the safe line.

Boolit Master

Mine is a ruger. Dang hard to find without a spotter.