Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .308 Boolit selection?

Boolit Master
    I have two 308's and each likes something different even though they have the same twist but different barrel length. The 22" barrel Remington likes anything round nose at about 160 gr (either the Lee or an old Lyman Loverin style) run at about 1900 FPS with 2400 powder. That rifle will shoot those sub-MOA all day long. The 16-1/4" barrel Mossberg likes heavies (180 gr and up) run slower or even sub-sonic as long as the powder is fast burning. My favorite in the Mossberg is the old Loverin style mold that drop at 196 gr with my alloy.

Super Moderator

The RCBS 30-165-Sil is another good boolit in 308W, as is the Lyman 311299.

Boolit Buddy
    Things are REALLY thin on the used market.

All I have found so far are Lee C309-200-R and C309-180-R.

Unless I find something superior shortly, I am going to order one of those to get started and order a custom mold based on my slugging results.

If anyone has one of the above discussed non-Lee molds that you want to part with give me a yell

Boolit Grand Master

My pet 308 Win. load :
    Lee C309-170-F , cast 50/50 COWW / range scrap , air cooled , sized .309" w/ GC , Lithi-Bee bullet lube :

12.5 grs. Red Dot @ 1565 fps .
    12.5 grs. Unique @ 1600 fps .
    30.0 grs. imr - 4895 @ 1860 fps .
    35.4 grs. imr - 3031 @ 2284 fps .

For what it's worth !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    My pet 308 Win. load :
    Lee C309-170-F , cast 50/50 COWW / range scrap , air cooled , sized .309" w/ GC , Lithi-Bee bullet lube :

12.5 grs. Red Dot @ 1565 fps .
    12.5 grs. Unique @ 1600 fps .
    30.0 grs. imr - 4895 @ 1860 fps .
    35.4 grs. imr - 3031 @ 2284 fps .

For what it's worth !
    Gary
    I would not have thought of Red Dot or Unique for .308 ; Those are powders that I have used quite a bit loading pistol.

The lead that I am casting with is essentially "new" range scrap. It is the fall off from a bullet manufacturer. No wheel weights. Is there something in the WW that is needful? I have tin and antimony on hand but have not been adding it for my pistol boolits.

I have also read some about adding 2% copper to strengthen the bullets. They explained how the copper affects the grain of the metal making the bullet harder without making it brittle. Any thoughts on that practice? As I begin to cast rifle boolits it sounds good but I have a little healthy skepticism. What do you all think?

Boolit Master
    Alloy. Range scrap can be quite soft and need some tin added. Antimony is useful to make the bullets a bit harder if you are using lube. You can look up the lead pencil test to see how soft it is. Adding copper is an advanced technique and not really needed for 'normal' cast velocities.

While the Lee molds you found are good designs, I'd never buy a used Lee mold without examining it in person (and maybe not even then). They are typically 'abused' a lot.

Boolit Master

The NOE / Ranch Dog tumble luber gas check is specifically designed for the short neck of the .308W case and is profiled for the SAAMI-spec throat. I believe the last iteration was a 178 grainer (NOE's site not coming up for me at present). It's designed as a flat-pointed hunting bullet, so it may not be your best choice for distance, but it is REALLY GOOD at destroying things. It is my primary off-hand practice bullet for my hunting rifle - feedback from milk jugs and other water bottles is. . .considerable.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.