Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lawn reseeding

Boolit Master

lawn reseeding

i live is SW pa. my lawn is terrible. i don't want to put poison on the lawn. just want some advice about reseeding. what is best seed to use, when to use it, how much to use ect. ??

Boolit Man
    I bought seed from all the name brand companies and spent way to much money on the non working gimmick crap that's out there. I finally went to a local farm supply store and asked them what was the best grass seed. They had a bulk type seed that was like $5/lb. I had them give me about 20lbs and it's the best grass I ever had. I would go and talk with a local place and see what they have and recommend as every area is just difference enough soil/light/moisture wise where what works here may not work there.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Call your county extension agent and ask them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a little south of you, but the big state universities have agricultural departments that have been very helpful in trying to pick a grass based on your soil and zone. They may even be willing to run a soil sample and tell you if you need to put down iron or another material.

Boolit Buddy
    Usually the big box stores have seed that is correct for your region. The Ace hardware in my area has a deal on seed and fertilizer at the start of spring, which is what I get.

Boolit Buddy
    Tall Type Turf Fescue. Not creeping or chewing fescue. It is drought, sun, shade tolerant. Goes dormant when there is no water. Hard to find at the big box stores...try a landscape supply. If you read the bags at the box stores, almost all versions (sun/shade, full sun, dense shade, etc) have the same proportions of Bluegrass/rye/fescue. Be prepared to pay. I typically spend between $65-85 for a #50 bag. There is one bluegrass mix that I use for one customer that is $210 #50, but she pays.

Almost as important as the seed type is the way it is put out. If you just spread it over the existing lawn most of the seed will get caught on the existing turf. Soil contact is key. You should be able to rent a slice seeder (aka Slit seeder, overseeder, lawn renovator). It cuts slits in the soil and drops seed into the slits. You get good soil contact and the seed is hidden from birds.

Good luck

Moderator Emeritus

Good advice. Look at fertilizer also depending on your soil. Use organics if you can like fireplace ashes, not cardboard or paper ashes.

Boolit Master
    My lawn is pink gravel so I can't help you. Grass lawns are discouraged in Commiefornia. Not enough water...
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 03-17-2021 at 06:20 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    My lawn is pink gravel so I can't help you. Grass lawns are discourage in Commiefornia. Not enough water...
    Bet that's rough in mower blades.

Boolit Grand Master
    The absolute best way I have found to grow grass is to throw some gravel on and call it a driveway.

Second best is to plant a garden.

Robert

Banned

A friend of mine in PA took care of his lawn with Roundup!

Moderator Emeritus

I will be seeding an area that causes a lot of dust in the house due to some construction. Just waiting for continuous rain and will use the huge bag of seed I have laying around. Will just rake it in on some top soil i am spreading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    i live is SW pa. my lawn is terrible. i don't want to put poison on the lawn. just want some advice about reseeding. what is best seed to use, when to use it, how much to use ect. ??
    If the dirt ain’t around the seed your are throwing money into the wind, literally. You do not want to bury the small seeds but they must be lightly covered.

The soil must be kept moist. A sprinkler on a timer saves time.

We need to get Michael Bloomberg to write a handbook on farming ‘cause he said, “Being a farmer is easy! You just throw some seed on the ground and that’s all there is too it, you don’t have to be smart to be a farmer!”

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Knowing PH of soil is a must so get soil test then right chemical(s). Removing weeds ect is a must, find out what they are then get right “ weed and feed” or spray that targets your weeds. As mentioned your local farm and garden stores will tell you which grass(s) to plant. Good luck, down here sod is the best bet.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

There is a trade off, effort for effectiveness. This time of year, with freezing nights and sunny days is ideal for a technique called frost seeding. It utilizes the effect of the changing temperatures to make that soil seed contact that works in your favor.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    I'm a little south of you, but the big state universities have agricultural departments that have been very helpful in trying to pick a grass based on your soil and zone. They may even be willing to run a soil sample and tell you if you need to put down iron or another material.

Soil sample is good way to go if you really want to know what the soil needs. They even provide you with the bag for the sample. If your serious it’s the best 1st step. Everything else is a gamble.
    You could ask the neighbor with the pristine lawn what they use and I’m sure they give you the name of the lawn service ! ��

Good luck, Mike

Boolit Master
    I'll trade ya, gotta start mowing here soon.
    county extension service is usually rock solid info. they are the mobile library and testing and educational service of your state land grant college.

Boolit Master
    Depending on what kind of grass you end up using you may be better off to renovate in the fall. You won't be watering to keep it alive. Soil test helps; you may need lime as much as you need fertilizer. I had good luck with the fescues as long as the soil will support a thick growth of it.

Boolit Grand Master

My plan for tomorrow was to run down to the local ag farm supply and get a 50# bag of rye and 50# bag of fescue. I overseed my lawn almost every year and about July/August wonder why I bothered and made more work for myself. The rye will burn off as the fescue really takes hold. But that’s in GA. The winter “rye” is also not a true rye

Recommendation to the county extension office was spot on.

Boolit Bub
    I live in sw pa. penn state mix is the way. Run a verti cutter, top dress with top soil, spread seed.