WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what is a good reloading manuals for lead boolits?

Boolit Buddy
    Lee just pi- er makes me mad. The #2 book has very few Cast loads and none of them are listed by Lee#s. His .30-40 loads are all jacketed, despite the Krag being perfect for cast boolets. You would think He'd have included his own bullets?

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Lee manual and I look at it but it is not much help . If you can track down a copy of Rifle Sporting Firearms Journal fall of 2010 volume 42 by Wolfe publishing the whole magazine is about 30 caliber ammo and shooting cast in the old military rifles . like you said cast is perfect in a Krag .

Boolit Master
    Lee did not do any testing of any of his designs. The Lee load data is a compilation of data from everyone else. That is why there is no data on Lee bullets. I cannot fault him for that as producing load data with pressure information costs a lot in time and money. Heck, Lyman does not even list loads for all of their bullets in all of the calibers they can be fired in.

Part of the 'experimentation' with cast is that you are doing your own load data development. You can start with cast data for similar weight bullets, but, after that you are on your own.

FWIW, I think the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is the best place to start for anyone. After that then go to the powder company load data as they frequently have some cast bullet data.

When starting out with a new to me cartridge, I do the following:
    I have a RCBS cast manual and several Lyman manuals. I look at Lyman first, then maybe RCBS. Then I look at Ken Waters "Pet Loads" and at Loaddata.com. Sometimes there's articles in older Handloader magazines too.

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Master

My favorites are the Lee reloaded and Lyman cast bullets hand book. I also like a few of the older Lyman Manuals as they have pistol powders.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Mold
    Lyman data is great. Look at Hodgdon’s web site. They have data for both cast and jacketed bullets, with their powder of course. And it’s current data for common calibers.

On e-bay you can find new reprints of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3 and many more for bout $20. Well worth it.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    These manuals are a good foundation for cast reloading and should be in your reloading library.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Mold
    I found a surprising amount of lead boolit information in the Lyman 47th Edition So much that I've referred to it so often that it came apart and is now in a 3 ring binder.
    (I'm a newbie here to casting, but not to lead boolits.)
    NRA Life Member