Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Are Small Pistol Magnum & Small Rifle Primers Safe in 9mm?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I have a bit of a different take, someone previously said that active or avid shooters will be using small rifle primers in pistol loads so they can keep on shooting.
    I don't think so it will the inexperienced and careless that will be making all types of substitutions so they can go to the range and blast away as fast as they can pull the trigger, that's just what I've seen at public ranges.
    avid and competitive shooters will most likely have plenty of supplies put away to do whatever shooting they will want to do and continue to reload, shoot and hunt in a responsible manner.
    Yes, I expect that you are right for the most part unless this drought goes on for years. I wonder what will be safe loads with home made primers?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Won't know unless someone tests them with an instrumented system.

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Which SRP's did you use? I think it makes a difference. Some SRP's are much hotter than SPP's and some are not.

It seems your practice is not much different than Larry's suggestion of using only starting loads if using SRP's. I know you did not stick with starting loads but "mind I seldom load to maximum so I do have some wiggle room." A load with thousands of rounds fired is likely a safe load in that gun. What guns did you use it in? Can you tell us the powder even if you don't want to share the charge weight?

Tim
    I have used CCI, Win, Fed, Rem & Tula SRP and have found no significant difference in velocity or performance from one brand to another. When they are available Tula primers often are a dollar cheaper per hundred and they work just as well. I don't play with my guns much and leave the trigger pull the way the factory set them. Guys who do, chase Federal primers. My go to load using 356402 lead bullets is 4.1gr of Win 231/HP38.. I want to get to 130 - 135 Pf and that load is there. I use 4 gr of Titegroup or 5Gr of CFE Pistol when using plated or FMJ bullets. I have found no significant difference using SRP over SPP using these loads. I have used SRP in a lot of 38spl cases with the same observations.

Farmbif - I think most guys who shoot competitively buy in bilk. I try to buy 5K - 10k of primers over the winter depending on how many primers I go into winter with. Finding primers at a decent price right now is not easy with most of my usual sources out. Happens just about every time you folks elect a Democrat President. LOL. In any event I don;t expect to have to go to SRP this year. I load for a friend though and he uses SRP exclusively. They generally are more available up here and often at a lower price.,

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"