RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    I actually cross posted to the discord 3d printing chat. Hopefully my message gets across in a positive way.

I just want this to stay true to the open source community philosophy and spirt. I don't mind people helping others out, like having a friend print something for cost. But that is much different than trying to start a business off of my designs, as well as the people that came before me, such as AM. For a truly turn key solution there are already companies that people can go to and pay money. This project is about the spirit of open source sharing for non commercial reasons, and it needs to stay that way.

Tyler i fully agree that no one should be monetizing this (except you, maybe post the files to cults if you ever get to a final version lol) ... and i've never been particularly happy about the karl bib situation ... partially due to him not releasing his dropper dies, then having to actually pay him for one that broke before it ever dropped a bullet.

i will admit i have made 2 of these for friends (who don't have printers) but the only money that exchanged hands was for physical parts like the motor speed control and stuff like that (one even supplied me with a roll of filament) i don't charge for printing time, assembly or wiring.

i believe i'm ok under the license doing that. (please correct me if i'm wrong)

personally i believe this unit is better than the daa unit, which is why i never purchased a daa unit ... i had to get a couple running right for other friends and knew it could be better (and already owned a printer so ...)

i started by modifying the RVB opensource feeder to suite my needs then found the ammomikes one and now yours ... (which basically had all the modifications and more that i did to my RVB variants)

Quote Originally Posted by impala68 View Post
    Tyler i fully agree that no one should be monetizing this ... and i've never been particularly happy about the karl bib situation ... partially due to him not releasing his dropper dies, then having to actually pay him for one that broke before it ever dropped a bullet.

i will admit i have made 2 of these for friends (who don't have printers) but the only money that exchanged hands was for physical parts like the motor speed control and stuff like that (one even supplied me with a roll of filament) i don't charge for printing time, assembly or wiring.

i believe i'm ok under the license doing that. (please correct me if i'm wrong)

personally i believe this unit is better than the daa unit, which is why i never purchased a daa unit ... i had to get a couple running right for other friends and knew it could be better (and already owned a printer so ...)

i started by modifying the RVB opensource feeder to suite my needs then found the ammomikes one and now yours ... (which basically had all the modifications and more that i did to my RVB variants)
    Absolutely! Helping a friend out for the cost of your supplies is all part of open source sharing. It just becomes a problem when people start trying to turn a profit.

Boolit Mold
    Tyler,

Thanks for all that you and the rest of the team do. If I see anyone trying to monetize this project I will let you know directly, I hope everyone else is on the lookout as well.

I am finally ready to print a Case feeder large version and the "Downloads" link is giving me a 404 error. Is there a new version coming or is something else wrong? Latest version I have downloaded is 1.2, I would like to grab the latest before I start printing. Thank you.

Boolit Bub
    To be completely honest with you. Over a year and a half ago I thought about selling bullet feeders. As matter as fact I have enough hardware to built 30 of them. I have redesigned most of Ammo Mikes original bullet feeder parts to suit my needs. I also have permission from Ammo Mike to sell his design but decided not to. To me it is not worth selling these things. I have made a couple for friends and charged them for parts. Even at that I didn't want to. I just like to tinker with stuff. I have not even printed Tylers system yet just bits and parts for testing. Usually by the time I get to print something and test it. Tyler has all ready either fixed the problem if any or made a new version. I don't know how he does it. I do commend all the hard work that everyone has put into this project. It's a great little project and in my opinion should stay non-comerical. That is part of the reason why I decided not to sell mine. You can buy a Creality Ender printer and everything to build this and still pay less than what DDA is selling theirs for.

Quote Originally Posted by stlmacgeek View Post
    Tyler,

Thanks for all that you and the rest of the team do. If I see anyone trying to monetize this project I will let you know directly, I hope everyone else is on the lookout as well.

I am finally ready to print a Case feeder large version and the "Downloads" link is giving me a 404 error. Is there a new version coming or is something else wrong? Latest version I have downloaded is 1.2, I would like to grab the latest before I start printing. Thank you.
    Thank you, I am hoping the community can help a bit in that manner.

The files are down temporarily. They will be back up with the latest version 1.4.0 in a day or so. Just keep an eye out on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage 01 View Post
    To be completely honest with you. Over a year and a half ago I thought about selling bullet feeders. As matter as fact I have enough hardware to built 30 of them. I have redesigned most of Ammo Mikes original bullet feeder parts to suit my needs. I also have permission from Ammo Mike to sell his design but decided not to. To me it is not worth selling these things. I have made a couple for friends and charged them for parts. Even at that I didn't want to. I just like to tinker with stuff. I have not even printed Tylers system yet just bits and parts for testing. Usually by the time I get to print something and test it. Tyler has all ready either fixed the problem if any or made a new version. I don't know how he does it. I do commend all the hard work that everyone has put into this project. It's a great little project and in my opinion should stay non-comerical. That is part of the reason why I decided not to sell mine. You can buy a Creality Ender printer and everything to build this and still pay less than what DDA is selling theirs for.
    Great feedback. The best part is, what if you want a second or third feeder? Now you just saved even more. Not to mention all of the other cool things that are out there that can be printed. The thing is, learning to operate a 3d printer is not the big mystery it used to be. Just about anyone can do it with a little time spent. It's not like the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by kc10kevin View Post
    Bravo Tyler! I’m sure everyone would agree that we all appreciate your hard work, along with many others who have contributed to the project. I design racing drone boards and contribute to the open source firmware. Same licensing. Time consuming and rewarding as well. Keep up the great work and let me know if I can help out with anything!
    You have my interest, since RC is my other major hobby. Which firmware are you talking about? I have been out of the loop for sometime but did use CleanFlight and OpenPilot quite a bit, as well as APM for fixed wing.

Boolit Man
    @TylerR I added to the bullet compatibility xlsx for 30 cal using the new clutched collator and the #11 plate.
    These are added:
    300BO NOE 247-FN
    Nosler BT 125gr
    Nosler BT 150gr
    hornady .308 150 SP #3031
    Sierra 308 165 HPBT
    Sierra 308 175 HPBT

I tried the Speer 30 cal 125 TNT and they wouldn't work will try with other plates for grins, the lip on the plate's ramp was too far away (they're rather small).

Boolit Mold
    speer 30 cal 125 tnt should use the large rifle plates. They work great.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by tanders View Post
    speer 30 cal 125 tnt should use the large rifle plates. They work great.
    Ah cool. I don't really load those but tried some random 30 cal for the large rifle plate #11. Was on a roll testing them.. That plate changed my life for my cast 300blk subs.

Boolit Bub
    I finally finished the feeder, works like a charm for 9mm... While working on this, I came up with few ideas that I thought I share;

- Needed a square post for the mount base (legacy 3/4" square post from AM design). Designed one on Fusion 360 and printed, use the same Mount currently available for the round post. Happy to share the design.
    - I was thinking why not separate the wall from the base, just like the feed ramp? Screw them together when putting it together. I think it would help reduce some frustration when something fails 10 hours into it; sorry if it was discussed earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by djinnpb View Post
    @TylerR I added to the bullet compatibility xlsx for 30 cal using the new clutched collator and the #11 plate.
    These are added:
    300BO NOE 247-FN
    Nosler BT 125gr
    Nosler BT 150gr
    hornady .308 150 SP #3031
    Sierra 308 165 HPBT
    Sierra 308 175 HPBT

I tried the Speer 30 cal 125 TNT and they wouldn't work will try with other plates for grins, the lip on the plate's ramp was too far away (they're rather small).
    This is great. Thank you.
    Yes the #11 plate is really for "long" bullets. Regular rifle plate should work better for the shorter ones.

Boolit Bub
    You have my interest, since RC is my other major hobby. Which firmware are you talking about? I have been out of the loop for sometime but did use CleanFlight and OpenPilot quite a bit, as well as APM for fixed wing.
    Betaflight is the major firmware right now I play around with. Contributed more in the earlier days of it. More on the hardware side now. Worked with Cleanflight, OpenPilot, iNav. I've been into RC since I was a kid (over 40 years) pretty much every platform...fixed, wings, Heli, drones. I've played with probably every platform out there too...OP, ArduPilot/APM, DJI, BF, CF, now big into the FPV/racing drone scene. Designed/built the Fury and Mamba racing drone line of flight controllers currently released by Diatone.

Again...happy to help out if you need anything.

EDIT: BTW...built 2 full setups. 1 Case and 1 bullet feeder for the 750. Work awesome!! .380, 9mm and .223 work great. 300BO testing to come. Still 2 more to go for the 550 and the LEE APP.

Betaflight is the major firmware right now I play around with. Contributed more in the earlier days of it. More on the hardware side now. Worked with Cleanflight, OpenPilot, iNav. I've been into RC since I was a kid (over 40 years) pretty much every platform...fixed, wings, Heli, drones. I've played with probably every platform out there too...OP, ArduPilot/APM, DJI, BF, CF, now big into the FPV/racing drone scene. Designed/built the Fury and Mamba racing drone line of flight controllers currently released by Diatone.

Again...happy to help out if you need anything.

EDIT: BTW...built 2 full setups. 1 Case and 1 bullet feeder for the 750. Work awesome!! .380, 9mm and .223 work great. 300BO testing to come. Still 2 more to go for the 550 and the LEE APP.
    That is really cool man. I have a lot of respect for the flight controller firmware/hardware and software open source developers. A lot of really smart people working on those projects, and to me represents what its all about. It's kind of crazy, but I know through personal experience that our own government has learned a lot from that community.

Boolit Bub
    That is really cool man. I have a lot of respect for the flight controller firmware/hardware and software open source developers. A lot of really smart people working on those projects, and to me represents what its all about. It's kind of crazy, but I know through personal experience that our own government has learned a lot from that community.
    Appreciate that! Personal experience? Government? You work for them now? Just wondering cuz I'm retired AF and a DoD civilian now. Work out of Scott AFB flight managing the AF mobility mission.

Appreciate that! Personal experience? Government? You work for them now? Just wondering cuz I'm retired AF and a DoD civilian now. Work out of Scott AFB flight managing the AF mobility mission.
    I do not work for the government no. I work for a private software company.

Boolit Mold
    Could someone clue me in to where the information for this project is kept. Just getting up to speed on what you all have been working on in here. Started with cobbled together case and bullet feeders way back before 3D printing them became available. Now getting involved with 3D print AM version and have some questions/information needed for sensors, wiring, plates etc. Thanks in advance. Wish I had run across this project months ago to look over all of it before jumping into the thingiverse projects.

Boolit Bub
    I do not work for the government no. I work for a private software company.
    Got it. Hopefully the pay is better!! lol

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by yoterunner View Post
    Could someone clue me in to where the information for this project is kept. Just getting up to speed on what you all have been working on in here. Started with cobbled together case and bullet feeders way back before 3D printing them became available. Now getting involved with 3D print AM version and have some questions/information needed for sensors, wiring, plates etc. Thanks in advance. Wish I had run across this project months ago to look over all of it before jumping into the thingiverse projects.
    Looks like Tyler might be updating the manual and files. Keep checking his Downloads link on his signature. All the information you need is in that great manual he has.

Is anyone using the Double Dillon 750 mount to hold 2 feeders? Just wondering if I should print that or if someone found another way to install 2 printers using the 750 casefeeder pole.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Falcon, I had seen those but when I went to them had not much access/info I’m able to see. I’ll check again later. Appreciate the reply.