Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    So I printed out a 7mm die even though I have nothing to load with it, and tested it with 55grain .223 and they actually were captured and ran thru it fine. So I am confident they will run 6.5mm-7mm.
    I will have my ball bearings tomorrow to confirm that it works with 6.5mm.
    Forgive me if I'm a little slow but I guess I need to print the 7MM drop tube to put on top of the 7MM bullet feeder die right?
    I've been running in and out all day on emergency calls (no heat) since 6.30am.

Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    I will have my ball bearings tomorrow to confirm that it works with 6.5mm.
    Forgive me if I'm a little slow but I guess I need to print the 7MM drop tube to put on top of the 7MM bullet feeder die right?
    I've been running in and out all day on emergency calls (no heat) since 6.30am.
    That should work best yes.

Boolit Mold
    I know this thread moves fast and its tough to keep up, but yes v1.3.8 required supports. It was discussed to quite some extent.
    Yea I see that now a few pages back. It does move quickly. Sorry for my ignorance. Unfortunately this is not the primary forum I use for all my reloading affairs. However, this forum does have a big following (and lurkers) on other platforms and a lot of people are printing this stuff out. It is pretty cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by lostpilotz View Post
    Yea I see that now a few pages back. It does move quickly. Sorry for my ignorance. Unfortunately this is not the primary forum I use for all my reloading affairs. However, this forum does have a big following (and lurkers) on other platforms and a lot of people are printing this stuff out. It is pretty cool to see.
    Understood.

I happen to lurk on a few other boards myself, one which starts with an "a" and ends with "5" in particular. I did post some links to that board a few times but that was a long time ago. I am glad to hear people are discovering the project, while at the same time keeping it low key.

Just to keep everyone up to date, o416 has been working on adding a GUI to the parts generator for collator plate generation. It is pretty cool, and is actually out there in the latest release. It is still in a bit of a beta phase so its not fully documented yet, but its pretty cool.

Nice to have your very own database guru! Worth his weight in gold....

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Nice to have your very own database guru! Worth his weight in gold....
    I've said it before, but I will say it again. He has really done so much for the project. My hats off.

Boolit Mold
    Was there a size problem with plates in 1.3.8? The two I printed with the slip clutch seem just slightly increased in overall diameter and now bind up in 2 places in my collator body (printed using 1.3.3 files)

Also, finally got around to starting to wire everything up and was wondering if anyone could share pics of the wiring for the prox sensor and/or how to determine appropriate wiring using the info sheet included with the sensor. Wiring diagram shows +/-/S but I'm not clear on how that maps to the wire colors for https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Funny how that link on amazon shows it commonly purchased with power supply + relay)

Quote Originally Posted by 31QjVP View Post
    Was there a size problem with plates in 1.3.8? The two I printed with the slip clutch seem just slightly increased in overall diameter and now bind up in 2 places in my collator body (printed using 1.3.3 files)

Also, finally got around to starting to wire everything up and was wondering if anyone could share pics of the wiring for the prox sensor and/or how to determine appropriate wiring using the info sheet included with the sensor. Wiring diagram shows +/-/S but I'm not clear on how that maps to the wire colors for https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Funny how that link on amazon shows it commonly purchased with power supply + relay)
    Yes, I went from 179.5 to 180mm Should still leave plenty of clearance, and if not it may be that you need to tighten up the shaft hole. You can generate your own plates back at 179.5mm if you need to.

Please check out the manual. It has several wiring diagrams in there.

I also suggest as above to move to 1.3.9
    Last edited by TylerR; 02-06-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks TylerR. I ended up sanding down the edges of my printed plate to unbind it and I'll use generator for next plate I do. Or, since its only two places on the body, I may just sand down those places in the body itself. Once my Prusa arrives I'll be printing a new body for my 2nd collator anyways so will likely just use that in the end.

On the wiring diagram the issue I had is just my ignorance on proximity sensor wiring. I was going to post that I don't see how the brown + blue + black wires on the sensor map to the manual's wiring diagram +/-/S- notations. But now that I look at the wiring diagram in color instead of B&W printout, I see that + is brown, S- is black, and - is blue. sorry for dumb question. Hopefully this post can help someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by 31QjVP View Post
    Thanks TylerR. I ended up sanding down the edges of my printed plate to unbind it and I'll use generator for next plate I do. Or, since its only two places on the body, I may just sand down those places in the body itself. Once my Prusa arrives I'll be printing a new body for my 2nd collator anyways so will likely just use that in the end.

On the wiring diagram the issue I had is just my ignorance on proximity sensor wiring. I was going to post that I don't see how the brown + blue + black wires on the sensor map to the manual's wiring diagram +/-/S- notations. But now that I look at the wiring diagram in color instead of B&W printout, I see that + is brown, S- is black, and - is blue. sorry for dumb question. Hopefully this post can help someone else.
    Awesome! Yes basically with an NPN sensor, you feed it low current + and -, and the signal (black) wire puts out - .

I want to make something very clear here. Recently I have been PM'd by a number of people who are not part of this board about getting all the source files or monetizing this project. I am posting a recent PM as well as my response. I want everything to be above board with the purpose of this project and what it represents.

Hi,
    I found this project through the reloading discord. There has been quite a bit of interest in the designs here, and someone suggested making collators to sell to the other discord members. Are the designs and files here free to use for that purpose or are there license fees/royalties? Most likely I would be making <10 unless there is more interest.

The license is posted and clear in the project as well as the manual.

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

This project at this point represents over a thousand hours of work, largely from me, and I will not allow it to be monetized. If anyone were to attempt to monetize this project it would be me, but I am very much against exactly that. I will also let you know that monetizing this project will potentially open you to lawsuits. You can direct anyone who is looking to purchase this as a turn key solution to this thread which has directed and built it, or just buy one from DAA.

That is this thread and this board. And I will fight tooth and nail against anyone who looks to monetize this. This is staying true to AmmoMike83's original wish for this project, and it needs to be respected.
    Last edited by TylerR; 02-07-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Question, I know I can make the collator plate for the original ammo mike design size but can I also do the same for the slide plates?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskJ View Post
    Question, I know I can make the collator plate for the original ammo mike design size but can I also do the same for the slide plates?
    You would have to use the original AM slide plates. They are not compatible with the larger design.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you! I can do that.

Boolit Buddy
    Tyler should be posting version 2.0 of the manual soon which documents the new Collator Plate Generator application.

You can still manually modify the .scad via OpenSCAD, but my app just makes the process much more user friendly.

Hope you guys enjoy it

Boolit Buddy
    I've said it before, but I will say it again. He has really done so much for the project. My hats off.
    Just glad to give back

Boolit Bub
    I want to make something very clear here. Recently I have been PM'd by a number of people who are not part of this community or board about getting all the source files or monetizing this project. I am posting a recent PM as well as my response. I want everything to be above board with the purpose of this project and what it represents.

Hi,
    I found this project through the reloading discord. There has been quite a bit of interest in the designs here, and someone suggested making collators to sell to the other discord members. Are the designs and files here free to use for that purpose or are there license fees/royalties? Most likely I would be making <10 unless there is more interest.

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

This project at this point represents over a thousand hours of work, largely from me, and I will not allow it to be monetized. If anyone were to attempt to monetize this project it would be me, but I am very much against exactly that. I will also let you know that monetizing this project will potentially open you to lawsuits. You can direct anyone who is looking to purchase this as a turn key solution to this thread which has directed and built it.

That is this thread and this board. And I will fight tooth and nail against anyone who looks to monetize this. This is staying true to AmmoMike83's original wish for this project, and it needs to be respected.
    Bravo Tyler! I’m sure everyone would agree that we all appreciate your hard work, along with many others who have contributed to the project. I design racing drone boards and contribute to the open source firmware. Same licensing. Time consuming and rewarding as well. Keep up the great work and let me know if I can help out with anything!

Boolit Master

I want to make something very clear here. Recently I have been PM'd by a number of people who are not part of this community or board about getting all the source files or monetizing this project. I am posting a recent PM as well as my response. I want everything to be above board with the purpose of this project and what it represents.

Hi,

This project at this point represents over a thousand hours of work, largely from me, and I will not allow it to be monetized. If anyone were to attempt to monetize this project it would be me, but I am very much against exactly that. I will also let you know that monetizing this project will potentially open you to lawsuits. You can direct anyone who is looking to purchase this as a turn key solution to this thread which has directed and built it.

Hell yeah. Couldnt agree more. I am huge fan of open source.

The only person I know who has permission to sell is Karl Bibbs. He has permission from ammo mike to sell the original design. But they agreed on design and quality and printing specs.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Hell yeah. Couldnt agree more. I am huge fan of open source.

The only person I know who has permission to sell is Karl Bibbs. He has permission from ammo mike to sell the original design. But they agreed on design and quality and printing specs.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    I actually cross posted to the discord 3d printing chat. Hopefully my message gets across in a positive way.

I just want this to stay true to the open source community philosophy and spirt. I don't mind people helping others out, like having a friend print something for cost. But that is much different than trying to start a business off of my designs, as well as the people that came before me, such as AM. For a truly turn key solution there are already companies that people can go to and pay money. This project is about the spirit of open source sharing for non commercial reasons, and it needs to stay that way.