Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: New to Reloading need good loads

Boolit Mold

New to Reloading need good loads

I have a 9mm Ruger P89 and a .357mag Taurus Tracker and I'm looking for some good loads to start out. I've bought a Lee 356-120-TC mould and I bought some 147gr TMJ Berry's and I picked some 95gr Speer and Horandy JHP at a yard sale. I have plenty of load data for but I'm want your idea's of which powders are best for each bullet. Most of my reloads will be for range & plinking. I have lots of factory ammo for self defense. Thanks.
    Have a Grateful Day

I'll keep my guns, freedom & money........
    You can keep the "Change!"

I would suggest looking at Midway or one of the other reloading supplies and get a couple of load data books or go to the powder mfg sites.

Ratt

Quote Originally Posted by tumordude View Post
    I have a 9mm Ruger P89 and a .357mag Taurus Tracker and I'm looking for some good loads to start out. I've bought a Lee 356-120-TC mould and I bought some 147gr TMJ Berry's and I picked some 95gr Speer and Horandy JHP at a yard sale. I have plenty of load data for but I'm want your idea's of which powders are best for each bullet. Most of my reloads will be for range & plinking. I have lots of factory ammo for self defense. Thanks.

Here are some places I've found:

http://www.loaddata.com/home/index.c...TOKEN=62702870
    http://www.handloads.com/
    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/

I've done some loads for a 9mm but off hand I don't remember the data. The sites above list the load most accurate that they have found and other info (pressure signs etc). Hopefully that helps.

Boolit Master
    You'll find powders like Bullseye and Unique are a good starting point. These are very popular and should be easy to get.

Depending on barrel length you may decide to move up to a slower powder in the magnum but these two powders will get you started.

Boolit Master
    Good reloading requires ............... GOOD BOOKS!

Three 44s

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Good reloading requires ............... GOOD BOOKS!

Three 44s
    Amen!

It also requires that you read ALL of the contents of the books, especially the "how to" sections and the information regarding the individual components, i.e., the Case, Primer, Powder and Bullet. There's more to this venture than just picking a load and stuffing it into the cartridge.

Safety first!

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Mold

Thanks for the input guys.

I appreciate the info, I've picked a Lyman Handgun Reloading manual and reading now. Will probably have more questions later as I get more into it. I've just decided factory ammo is to expensive for as much as I like to shoot.
    Have a Grateful Day

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tumordude View Post
    I appreciate the info, I've picked a Lyman Handgun Reloading manual and reading now. Will probably have more questions later as I get more into it. I've just decided factory ammo is to expensive for as much as I like to shoot.
    Have you tried cast bullets?

Please don't read all that stuff in the Lyman Handgun Reloading manual....

I started casting bullets to save money --- then found out that my "home made" stuff shot far better groups than store bought....

Then I discovered that my "Home Made" stuff killed deer real good....

By then it was too late....

....and then I noticed that cast bullets just shined up the bore of my revolvers.....

Hooked....

Boolit Mold

Casting my own

I've got one mold so far for each caliber so far. My first batch of homemade bullets didn't turn out so well, about 6 good bullets out of about 60. My second batch went a lot better and I cranked out about 300 bullets and only about 10 weren't keepers. Now I need to invest a little money into a good way to lube them. I loaded 60 9mm that I lubed by hand, that was a mess. But it's a good way to keep busy and save money at the same time and it's kind of fun too. I can't wait to see how they shoot.
    Have a Grateful Day