Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Casting copper or ? bullets

Boolit Bub
    The anti gunners thought hard about this,they know its hard and costly to make any bullet but lead and you won't ever convince me it is because of any other reason,lead is cheap,comparitively,,easy to melt,soft enough to flow with hydraulic power and heavy,like many metals it is toxic,so are cars,cities and many things used by men.

I would say zinc or a babbit of some kind.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ThomR View Post
    I'd start stocking up on zinc wheel weights. Just be careful how fast you are pushing a zinc bullet. From what I understand if you push a zinc bullet faster than 1,900 fps it causes the bullet to make zinc gas, and that is toxic.
    I’m gonna drop the BS flag in that one. Even if it is true 99% of folks are shooting outdoors or in a properly ventilated indoor range. Normal primers have lead in the mix that causes lead to be atomized in the air and just the same if you aren’t shooting indoors with poor ventilation everything is fine.
    90% professional 10% mature

The zinc thing is partly true yes it exists yes it is toxic. I have welded enough galvanized steel to be dead x 100 if it was as bad as everyone says. I have thought about zinc but lead is easier to find around here.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    So, I am from California where we now have a law that you cannot use lead for hunting ANYTHING.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks
    California has gone too far. There is apparently a new law that tire pressure must be checked and adjusted any time a vehicle is serviced. Every shop prints it on their tag, No One Does It.

They cannot possibly prosecute all the stupid laws they have on the books, screw them.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 08-29-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Silver bullet? They always worked for a certain masked man from Texas.

For big, heavy game, solid bronze bullets in very large calibers would work well they make a big wound channel. For small game, however they wouldn’t be all that great. As we come up with alternatives for lead shot, it’s amazing how they come up as “hazardous to the environment” too... in fact it appears that all metals have been placed on that list in Kalifornistan from some of the product warnings I’m seeing in ads these days.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"