Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement metal for reloadable cartridges cases meant for extremely high pressure?

Boolit Bub

Replacement metal for reloadable cartridges cases meant for extremely high pressure?

So I found an interesting thread on another forum talking about a custom BFR in a custom .50 caliber wildcat that is designed for a working pressure of 95k PSI, its a slightly tapered straight walled cartridge, that headspaces off a belt instead of a rim like most revolver cartridges. Would brass still be a viable casing material for pressures that high? Or would you need to make the cases out of a totally different metal? Would there be a metal that could be used in cases for this cartridge that would be re-usable for the common reloader?

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong area.

I think yore leg has been pulled off at the hip. Unless someone knows something i don't. Ultra mags run at 65000 psi
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Bub
    Well according to the dude that made it, the material the cylinder is made from is called vascomax 350, and its supposedly good enough for "95k psi and more". I can link the thread on the website in question if that ain't against the rules.

Well if he wants to touch off something like that he can go ahead. I own a bfr in 45-70 and it will sprain wrists ask me how i know thats loaded to ruger #1 pressures. Did you ask him about the rest of the frame or how he plans to deal with primers not to mention case thrust. And ect.....

Boolit Bub
    I have no idea, I only read the thread, I didn't participate in it. I was chasing after information on a harder recoiling firearm than a .500 S&W shooting max pressure 700gr loads, found out about .50 Alaskan & 50 B&M Alaskan converted BFR's and then managed to stumble my way into that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadingNoob View Post
    I have no idea, I only read the thread, I didn't participate in it. I was chasing after information on a harder recoiling firearm than a .500 S&W shooting max pressure 700gr loads, found out about .50 Alaskan & 50 B&M Alaskan converted BFR's and then managed to stumble my way into that thread.
    I have been trying to get my hands on a 500 but everyone i know who has one downloads em. I just wanted to compare mag loads to my bfr but have been unsuccessful. I can tell ya if ya want recoil mine will give it to ya. Besides all ya will get is a flinch out of the deal

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    I have been trying to get my hands on a 500 but everyone i know who has one downloads em. I just wanted to compare mag loads to my bfr but have been unsuccessful. I can tell ya if ya want recoil mine will give it to ya. Besides all ya will get is a flinch out of the deal
    What barrel length on that .45-70? How much does it weigh? I have a Performance Center 3.5" bbl 500 S&W that weighs about 3.5lbs unloaded.

7.5 bbl @ 5lbs i use it for grizz and moose but carry it everywhere 500 grn wfn @ 1500 is all i need any more and it starts hurting. Makes my sbh 44 mag 5 inch bbl with 310s seem like a rimfire gun

Boolit Grand Master

Traditional brass case design and material would not stand up to those pressures. When the AMU was using the the V-8 load for 5.56 shortly after the 80 Sierra's came out they used LC brass with the harder GI crimped primers. They were running 77K or 78K and the primer pocket were stretched beyond use for second loading.

At 95K with brass I believe pressure welding would become and issue.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    7.5 bbl @ 5lbs i use it for grizz and moose but carry it everywhere 500 grn wfn @ 1500 is all i need any more and it starts hurting. Makes my sbh 44 mag 5 inch bbl with 310s seem like a rimfire gun
    I think the grip shape might contribute a bit to that, I've fired a .44 mag Ruger Blackhawk and that grip angle just sucks IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Traditional brass case design and material would not stand up to those pressures. When the AMU was using the the V-8 load for 5.56 shortly after the 80 Sierra's came out they used LC brass with the harder GI crimped primers. They were running 77K or 78K and the primer pocket were stretched beyond use for second loading.

Would there be any good replacements for brass cartridges then?

Never had a problem with the plowshare grip kinda perfer it same thing on the bfr just bigger

Boolit Bub
    Never had a problem with the plowshare grip kinda perfer it same thing on the bfr just bigger
    I don't like em at all, feels weird not having the web of your hand pushed up against the beaver tail of a grip.

Boolit Grand Master

Would there be any good replacements for brass cartridges then?
    They are taking these up to 80K

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...n-inside-look/

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/2...y-demystified/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Had a BFR in 45-70 w/10" barrel. Shot real well, but the recoil was more than my hand wanted so it went down the road. My 50 AE BFR has all the recoil I want and more.

Boolit Master

I'm wondering what the barrel life is going to be with that cartridge.

I'm guessing 1000 rounds or less.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I'm wondering what the barrel life is going to be with that cartridge.

I'm guessing 1000 rounds or less.
    A lot of folks consider rifle barrels to be a consumable item. Many competitive shooters know exactly when they'll have to replace their current barrel to maintain competitive accuracy, and subsequently have replacement barrels prepared in multiples.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Everyday machines use 60,000 psi run through flexible hoses,some hydraulic tensioners use up to 100,000 psi ,so where an application is needed ,materials are developed to cope .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post

HAHAHA remember those days, the Army team would leave their brass and that is the only stage where nobody else ( brass rats) would pick it up. For that matter the old 600 yd garand loads too, one and done.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Buddy
    Well according to the dude that made it, the material the cylinder is made from is called vascomax 350, and its supposedly good enough for "95k psi and more". I can link the thread on the website in question if that ain't against the rules.
    Vascomax is very strong and would fail at maybe twice that pressure. But that's not an operating pressure, it's failure. But you're right, the case would be the weak link, and brass wouldn't take it. I would also be nervous about the barrel cylinder gap at pressures a good deal higher than rifles run.

Boolit Master
    Wouldn't make more sense to ask the dude who made it what kind cartridges he is using?

How many max pressure 700 grain loads have you shot?