RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Casting for 25-20

Boolit Buddy

Casting for 25-20

Is anyone here casting for the old 25-20. I have been and I am having some issues. I just seam to be shooting all over in a 4-5" diameter. Mostly high. If anyone here has some good load info it would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am shooting out of a winchester 1892 lever gun.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by slk View Post
    Is anyone here casting for the old 25-20. I have been and I am having some issues. I just seam to be shooting all over in a 4-5" diameter. Mostly high. If anyone here has some good load info it would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am shooting out of a winchester 1892 lever gun.

Steve
    If it’s a vintage gun there is a big variance in groove diameter also this old guns had a lot of corrosive ammo shot through the the the smaller the bore the worse it was. Anyway slug your barrel. You may need to bump your bullets to fit the groove. I have a 38-40 like that I had to make a gas check maker to fit over a plain base bullet and size accordingly . Just do some tinkering you’ll get there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned you need to know the groove diameter of the barrel so you need to slug it.

Also unless we can figure out the "issues" you're having by knowing;
    the bullet used
    the alloy
    GC'd or not
    the sizing of the bullet
    the lube
    the load used

any "load" we might give probably won't help.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I have a Savage Sporter in 25-20.
    I haven't shot it much YET because I also got a box of Old Western Scrounger's reloads with it.
    I DID buy moulds and brass and dies for it however, and it is on my list to get to cast and reload for.
    What I HAVE found out, in addition to the SHARPSHOOTER3040'S INFO, is that 25-20 seems to shoot better with heavier bullets.
    When you get it dialed in they shoot very accurately....or so I have been told.
    Bore diameter is very important as he said.
    Keep this thread alive - I will follow it also.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I use a load of 7.5gn of Win 296 behind a 80gn plain base boolit. Very accurate and cheap to feed.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

What mould(s) do you use for that 25-20?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    I am using a lyman 257420 GC. Sizing to .258. The barrel slugs out at .257. I have been using 4.5g of unique. I just do not seam to have any consistency. I am not interested in fast loads. Just easy accurate ones. I had heard that IMR 4227 was the choice back in the day because it was slow, but I do not see any info on that powder and the cast 257420 GC bullet.

Steve

Boolit Master
    7 grains of 4227 with spp and 257420 will go about 1350fps in 22" barrel, its pretty darn good for getting rabbits out of the garden

Boolit Master

I suggest you go to the Marlin Owners website and look at the 25-20 reloaders thread which is a walloping 78 pages or so - and will take you days to get through. More valuable information there on 25-20 than any other place i know. My 92 tends to like 70 to 80 grainers in cast. My suggestion is to try sizing to .259 and try other powders mentioned in above website thread. You will find more load data there than any place else
    Being human is not for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I use a load of 7.5gn of Win 296 behind a 80gn plain base boolit. Very accurate and cheap to feed.

And what mould(s) do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I suggest you go to the Marlin Owners website and look at the 25-20 reloaders thread which is a walloping 78 pages or so - and will take you days to get through. More valuable information there on 25-20 than any other place i know. My 92 tends to like 70 to 80 grainers in cast. My suggestion is to try sizing to .259 and try other powders mentioned in above website thread. You will find more load data there than any place else
    What a great source of information on the 25-20.
    Thanks!

Boolit Master

I just wish i could find a descent way to print the whole thing off - I am just not to computer savy. It would be worth while to get it in hard copy. One of these days it's all gonna disappear.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok guys I loaded up some rounds last night and tried them today. I used the IMR 4227 with 7.1 grains, and small pistol primers. What a difference it made. I was all of a sudden shooting 1/2" to 1 1/2" groups. I would have never guessed that combination would make that kind of difference. I am a happy camper now....

Steve

Boolit Master
    Glad you made some progress!

I second the suggestion that one sign up for the Marlin Owners Forum if you are interested in loading, casting for the 25-20 Win. Once there, go to the reloading section and find the sticky for the cartridge. You will be very well rewarded for the time you invest there!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    have you tried looking at the patents? they might have load data

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post

It is an 80 gn boolit from CBE

https://www.castbulletengineering.co...693-257-80fnpb
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!