Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMR 3031 and the 45-70

Boolit Master
    Mike Venturino tried Uncle Elmer's 45/70 loads in an 1895 MARLIN 45/70 back in the 1970s. He got a scope cut over his eye and split the skin on his shoulder with the first round. Mike probably out weighted Elmer by 50 pounds plus and 40 years younger.

Boolit Bub
    C'mon. No way.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmann View Post
    40 grains of 3031 pushing a 405 cast FN.... Would this be a doable easy on the shoulder load?
    Any approx idea what 49grains would do FPS wise??

Quote Originally Posted by rhead View Post
    I shoot the Lee hollow base using 40 grains of 3031 and like the accuracy. It also shoots well with that load when paper patched. I have heard of others getting good results with heavier loads and this bullet but my shoulder indicated that it was not interested. I use a Marlin 95 and Ruger #1.
    I started/stopped and shoot, very successfully/happily/comfortably with 38.5 grns IMR 3031 pushing the Lee 405 HB bullet (WW + 2% tin, Pan Lubed) at somewhere in the neighborhood of 1350 fps. Ballistics are something like zeroed at 85 yds, .4" hi at 25 y and ~2" lo at 100 yds. Near creampuff on my rebuilt shoulder in Marlin 1895, and flat out slobber knocks a deer (flipped one) inside of 100 yds. All I will ever need!

PS: You really won't find this low end load anywhere - except Waters' Pet Loads! It is below book, but he lists it as a Pet Load, and I agree! Could prob cast 30-1 or even soft and do fine. I would not hesitate to shoot a pig or black bear (or sick cow or the like) inside 100 yds with it at all

Boolit Master

Has anyone tried this powder with the 320 grain Mihec boolit? Been looking at an 8lb jug of 3031 for a while but not sure how it would do with these boolits in my ruger #1.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Bub
    40 gr. 3031 in my 1895 with 405 gr. HB IS an accuracy load and anything you hit with it will show the effects in a serious way,I have shot loads that hurt but settled on accuracy as more important,however,your Shilo sharps,your load,no sweat.but less is more accurate normally.
    I once forgot my ammo,and seen a big bear,well I had a 405 slug in my pocket,and threw it hard and it knocked him out long enough for a picture by my friend,but I lost the dang Polaroid back in the 70's,no bull.

Boolit Master
    Elmer used as much as 60 gr of IMR3031 behind a 400 gr bullet. I got up to 50 grains of 3031 (a published max load), and said never again. 40 gr of Reloader 7 or Ramshot Exterminator was enough. I do shoot the occasional Buffalo Bore round, but not often.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Elmer's load for the 405 grain JSP was 51 Grains of 3031 in a Marlin 95. I tried that load and it kills on one end and cripples on the other.
    Elmer's load was 53 grains of 3031in 1886's and modern Marlin 1895's.

Boolit Bub
    Even with 51 gr. My Marlin IS tougher than me and it and me figgered that out awhile ago,and I am ok with that..!

Boolit Master

Im facing the recoil issue too. Im casting a MP 462-420, weighing 390-410 depending on which HP pin I use.
    I tried a book trapdoor load using Benchmark at 46.5gr (.5gr under start load) and the scope scraped my forehead. That start load read 1694fps on my chrono from my 22” No.1.
    I plan to drop back to 40.0 of Benchmark and also try 40.0gr of 3031. Im hoping to make Benchmark work, as I have a good supply of it.
    "In GOD We Trust"

I Just acquired some PCoated 420 W/O GC.
    Shot them over 34.0 3031, avg. 1260 FPS, in My Pedretti Sharps Replica.
    Good Group, shot a little higher at 50 yards
    Next Wkend hope to move out to 100, then 200 yards, should be just about Correct Elev.
    Used the same Charge 34.0 in my 405 MO. Boolits, there I got 1131 FPS.

Barman54
    Out