RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: CCI 400 for AR15?

Boolit Buddy

CCI 400 for AR15?

The only small rifle primers I have are CCI 400,and I have plenty of them. I have used some in my AR that I bought not too long ago,and have had no issues,but I was looking at Speer data,and noticed they recommended CCI 450 with Win 748,which I assumed was due to it being ball powder,but just out of boredom I read up on the 450 primers,and a lot of folks seem to feel they are safer in the AR because they are harder..Have I just been lucky using the 400s so far,or are they alright to use? Thanks

Never drop a round into the chamber and hit the bolt release; always feed from the magazine and you should be fine. I've only used standard CCI and Winchester small rifle primers in the AR15. I have used 748 and H335 with no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Pay heed to what Texas by God said he knows what he's talking about

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Men!

That's all I've ever used never had an issue
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I to have used regular small rifle , and never had a problem , but there is the chance and that is why they make the others , magnum is for ball powders most of the time and the number 41 for the ar platform , but I had a lower parts kit that was made not to correct dimension and it would allow the hammer to ride the bolt closed , all it did was leave a very light dimple on primer . But I do not ever feed a round and then drop bolt , always load from magazine myself , be safe .

Boolit Buddy
    I thank all the folks on this sight that are so willing to share their knowledge.I learn a lot on this forum,and not only that I enjoy the friendly atmosphere as well.

Boolit Master
    Primers like the CCI-450 and Remington 7 1/2 (perhaps the most popular AR primer) aren't necessarily harder, they have thicker cups and lessen the chance for slamfires in ARs. I've used the CCI-400s and they work fine, but will show primer flattening before the CCI-450 or Remington 71/2 will, not something that really matters unless you're using hot loads or maximum 5.56 data rather than .223 data where there is a potential chance of piercing a primer. I don't shoot cast bullets in ARs, but I've done some limited comparison work with all three primers mentioned here using jacketed bullets. Generally, I've seen slightly better accuracy with the CCI-400 in comparison with the other two.

Boolit Grand Master

I also have used a large amount of CCI 400s in 223 loads in gas guns [ARs and Mini-14s] without any problems except in cold weather (below freezing) with ball powders (BLC-2, BR748 and H335). It's in colder weather where I've found the CCI 450 and WSRs to be beneficial. As mentioned always let the rifle feed the rounds from the magazine.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    CCI 400 -thin .020" cup, not recommended for AR15 use by CCI/Speer. Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.

I have used the CCI 400 in a Ar 223/ 300 Black But have noticed flat primers on med loads
    So now only used 450 in med/higher loads

see note

NOTE 1: According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size. Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness. Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound. They can be used interchangeably.

So the CCI 400 primer is a Mag Pistol primer.... so about 46k cup pressure..... Not what I want to use in High pressure loadsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02434  150 jacket.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	260120

Test loads 300 AAC Blackout... No max loads and cci 400 for me in the future .... these are low end for 300