Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 1858 Bison Revolver .44 cal Brass Frame 12" bbl FR185812

1858 Bison Revolver .44 cal Brass Frame 12" bbl FR185812

HEY GUNSMITHS
    I AM THINK OF BUYING THE 1858 Bison Revolver .44 cal . Brass Frame 12" bbl FR185812 CAP & BALL REVOLVER BUT I HAVE HEARD OF SOME PROBLEMS THAT COME WITH THE BRASS FRAME MODELS IS THEY ANY WAY TO INSTALL SOMETHING WHERE THE CYLINDER ROTATES SO IT CAN "SHOOT OUT IN TIME " I JUST WATCHED A YOUTUBE VIDEO & THE FELLA WAS SHOWING HOW TO CORRECT THIS ON A NEW BRASS FRAMED REVOLVER I CAN GET IT IN STEEL BUT THAT BRASS IS SO SHARP BUT I DON'T WANT TO HAVE A REVOLVER THAT I CAN'T USE THE MAX LOAD IN IT WHEN I NEED TO LET ME KNOW GUYS I DO PLAN ON SHOOTING IT A GOOD BIT BUT NOT 100'S OF ROUNDS A WEEK I CAN'T AFFORD THE LEAD LOL LET ME KNOW FELLAS THANK YOU
    Last edited by trapper44shooter; 03-08-2020 at 05:17 AM.

Boolit Master

Hurts my eyes trying to read what you're shouting.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

If you want it to last, don't buy the brass frame.

Boolit Buddy
    Be careful with a brass framed Remington. Loading oversized balls or harder than pure lead can bend the frame. With a steel frame, you will avoid imprinting from the cylinder and, as you point out, you can shoot full power loads without worry.

Mike

Boolit Master
    I have had bp pistols since I was 12 or 13 and saved my grass cutting money to buy my first one, a 1851 colt navy. Glad I went with 36 instead of 44 back then. I got the brass frame one because of price. I could get the revolver ,powder starter kit for the same price as the steel frame. Use only soft lead but I have also used ww lead. There a pain to load with hard lead and no you won’t bend your frame using harder than pure but it’s very hard on the gun. My 36 I have loaded very hot had to shave the ball to get the cylinder to rotate. it did finally increase the cylinder gap to the point I have to get it fixed. I have shot this pistole thousands and thousands of times in my teens. It would go every where with me back then. If you only shoot hot loads every once in awhile it will be fine with a brass frame. There not that week. 44 might be harder on the brass frame loaded hot than the 36. I Don’t know . I usually use the powder flask that came with the gun. It’s a non adjustable nipple on it so I can’t overfill. They usually shoot better at the lower charge anyway. Load all 6 chambers with powder . Then ram six balls on top of powder then I use crisco on top of the balls. I have tried the felt wads but my 36 dosent seem to care . I also can shoot the 36 better than the 44,s I have. The 36 in the colt or the Remington is just fun to shoot. If you want to shoot hot loads a lot get the steel frame. But a brass frame will be fine and it also looks cool after a good polish. My brothers pistole did shoot loose in his 44 1851. But he always did load it hot all the time.

Boolit Master
    IS THEY ANY WAY TO INSTALL SOMETHING WHERE THE CYLINDER ROTATES SO IT CAN "SHOOT OUT IN TIME . Didint understand what you where trying to ask here. There are a few good videos on checking timing and lock up on the colts and the Remington’s. On the net. One I like is this one not a video but still very good Competition Part 1: Diagnosing the Problem Areas By
    Larsen E. Pettifogger look up his part 1,2,3 and 4 series arrivals very good read
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 03-08-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, YOU won't bend YOUR brass Remington loading hard and or oversized balls/conicals . . . but I did. So never mind I guess . . . I don't know what I'm talking about lol !!!

Mike

Boolit Master
    I have loaded some oversized balls in my 36. The 44 seems harder for the oversized balls to seat. If your looking at the Remington instead of the colt open top pistole. The Remington don’t have the problem as the colt with hot loads. On the brass frame colts the hot loads can over time pull out the base pin from the frame that it’s screwed and pinned to. The Remington’s pin is not part of the frame and comes in and out to unload the cylinder. 45 dragoon that must of hurt putting that much pressure to bend the loading lever ouch. That would always hurt really bad the inside of my hand. It didint help I got the wrong size balls on day

Boolit Buddy
    Nope, didn't hurt and it didn't bend the lever. I posted that I bent the Frame! The frames are too weak to put that much stress on repeatedly. It also shows the weak side of the "top strap design". The only way to make that design stronger is to increase the size /thickness of the top strap and surrounding frame.
    Another poster (on another forum) had the same experience, so I'm not the only one. As far as Colt open top revolvers go, none are set up correctly from the factory. They will all be damaged if shot a lot with full loads. But set up correctly (as designed) they are more than capable of full heavy loads with Triple 7 as a regular diet. The only exception are the current made Pietta's (since around 2010). They listened to shooters and corrected the problem. It would be great if Uberti would follow suit.

Mike