RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More 44 special ... err less

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C6BBEFF2-DE9C-4C56-A989-ADFB053B55C6.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	258029Just got a late 70’s-early 80’ blued 4” charter arms target bulldog 5 shot. I have been reading this well and if I make it to the skeeter loaf, I will go no further, for sure. I have only fired so far some 4.8 grains 700X loads behind Lyman’s 429383 classic round nose. Still seems plenty of power for my truck gun.
    Last edited by smkummer; 03-05-2020 at 04:36 PM.

a 210 SWC (200 would work also) with 5.0 BE works well and is mild.

Boolit Buddy
    Two NOE 150 grain wadcutters stacked base-to-base over 4.0 grains of Red Dot gives me about 600 ft/s from a 2-1/2" Bulldog. This might have some small potential as a short-range civilian self-defense load, but comes with the usual warning: Kids, don't try this at home!
    Last edited by pettypace; 03-05-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I like this little button nosed wadcutter for .44 Maggie paper punching. Should be even better in a .44 Special.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    What I seek is a tamer, easy on gun n shooter and accurate boolit loads. I do not desire to find the upper end with this lil rascal. Small game and targets of opportunity is my idea of usefulness for this little 44. Maybe larger 2 legged critters if the drastic need arises.

What say yee ... lite loads in the 3 inch 44?
    From the many excellent loads already suggested, I'm thinking the mild wadcutter load recommended by rintinglen (NOE 432-227 WC over 4.5 grains of Red Dot) best satisfies the OP's requirements. Here's why:

For the sake of discussion, I'll guess that load might leave a 3" barrel at, say, 650 ft/s. Then here are some characteristics of that load:

Name:	wc_43_227_650.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	258154

First, the "PF: 148" is calculated with the IDPA "power factor" formula and falls somewhere between "minor" and "major" for IDPA competition. The OP expressed no interest in IDPA competition. But according to Hatcher (Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers, page 302): "...if we take any given revolver used by the same shooter, the weight of the gun plus hand remains constant and velocity of recoil varies directly with wv, the weight of the bullet times the muzzle velocity." So, comparing power factors should help the OP find a "tamer, easy on gun n shooter" load.

As for an "accurate boolit," competitive bullseye shooting over more than a century indicates that wadcutter boolits can be pretty accurate out to 50 yards. So, at 25 yards, if that wadcutter doesn't dispatch small game or perforate "targets of opportunity", you probably need more practice.

For the "larger 2 legged critters if the drastic need arises," this load would be tough to beat -- at least for the first cylinder full. The predicted 19" penetration is just a bit more than the FBI recommends. But better a bit more than a bit less. And short of finding some sort of reliably expanding boolit, the predicted 37 grams of wound mass is about as good as it gets. At about 230 grains the bullet should shoot to point of aim, and the moderate recoil should make well-aimed follow up shots easier. What's not to like?

For the sake of comparison, here are the numbers for a .43 caliber, 240 grain SWC at 900 ft/s. That should be close to the famous "Skeeter Load."

Name:	44Skeeter.png 
Views:	20 
ID:	258153

For something like a charging grizzly bear, the extra recoil wouldn't be noticed, the 35 inches of "over-penetration" would be a good thing, and the actual wound mass calculated for full penetration would be over 50 grams. But given that the OP didn't mention grizzly bears, the lighter wadcutter load looks better to me.
    Last edited by pettypace; 03-07-2020 at 08:31 AM.

My favorite cast bullet for light recoiling loads in small .44 Specials is this one. At around 850 fps is very managable even in a 21 oz. Bulldog.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    My favorite cast bullet for light recoiling loads in small .44 Specials is this one. At around 850 fps is very managable even in a 21 oz. Bulldog.

35W
    That looks very cool. My wad cutters in 38 spcl. Are some of the funnest rounds I shoot in my 38 or 357's. I bet the 44 spcl would be no different with wad cutters.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Boolit Master
    Yup those wadcutters look like a top choice for a low speed 44 special round in a light gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Yup those wadcutters look like a top choice for a low speed 44 special round in a light gun.
    I agree. And I wondered how 35W's load (185 gr WC @ 850 ft/s) might compare in the gello simulation with rintinglen's load (227 WC @ my guess, 650 ft/s). Surprisingly, the two loads are practically identical except for energy.

Here's the heavier bullet at lower velocity:

Name:	wc_43_227_650.png 
Views:	15 
ID:	258220

And here's the lighter bullet at higher velocity:

Name:	wc_43_185_850.png 
Views:	17 
ID:	258221

I wonder how they'd compare against bone and/or "barrier penetration." Does the extra energy of the faster bullet trump the extra mass of the slower bullet?
    Last edited by pettypace; 03-08-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Lee makes or did make a 44 WC mold and I have one. Cast in mut alloy that is close to WW, it makes a 210gr wad cutter.
    I shoot those on occasion and it would make a very effective people bullet. However, maybe a poor choice if defending yourself from lawyers I gather.

My needs are more woods related and I have never made up my mind which I like more; if I like the 42798 bullet made for the 44-40 at 215 grains. Recoil is better in my S&W 696, or the Keith bullet, RCBS "K" 269grs, and load where I am slower recovering for follow up shots. Black bears and mountain lions are my main concern here or maybe the real threat is unknowingly getting in between momma moose and her calf.

The 44 special has been my woods friend in one form or another since the 1980'S and as of yet, never needed it. But, I still like to have a sidearm when I am out fishing a remote stream or in the highcountry.
    Chill Wills