Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Hull identification

Hull identification

I believe these are Cheddite, but I’m not sure. Had these a while. Same head stamp, two different primers.

What say ye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC 77, USRA 79

cheddite... although the star is a bit smaller then usual. arent the multi colored primers magnum or something???
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    cheddite... although the star is a bit smaller then usual. arent the multi colored primers magnum or something???
    Or something. I've never heard of a magnum shotshell primer. Some are considered hotter than others, on the brizzance scale, but there isn't a magnum shotshell primer. Manufacturers change primer cup colors from time to time, nothing unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    Or something. I've never heard of a magnum shotshell primer. Some are considered hotter than others, on the brizzance scale, but there isn't a magnum shotshell primer. Manufacturers change primer cup colors from time to time, nothing unusual.
    Fed 209A and CCI 209M is considered to be primers. The M actually stands for magnum.

Boolit Master

BT, the cheddite primers I believe are black when looking down into the primed hull. The cheapola plastic "Federal" hulls BPI sells are a pinkish color and are Fed 209s.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    There are magnum shotgun primers. The Federal 209a is a magnum primer. It makes more sense when you realize they used to make a standard primer numbered 209. Why they didn't use something less ambiguous, for example calling the magnum the 219, we will never know. I just checked, and the CCI 209M says magnum right on the box. I couldn't find any, but I think Winchester says magnum or standard loads on it. It kind of gets lost in translation, but the Fiocchi 616 is a magnum primer, they not only make a lesser known standard 615 primer, they apparently also make a nearly unheard of 614 primer.

As for the Cheddite question. I always assumed stars were the brand logo, as you do. While the primer colors are different, they certainly look like the same design to me. I think the copper/silver colored Fiocchi 616 has a flatter looking primer cup. As always, the best answer is to cut the shell open and compare the base wad. If the base wad is the same, it doesn't really matter what the outside of the shell looks like.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Fed 209A and CCI 209M is considered to be primers. The M actually stands for magnum.

True dat. Didn't think about it in those terms. We use the 209A and even the CCI 209M in colder weather applications reloading shotshells, where the other primers aren't "HOT" enough.

Contingent on quality of the nitrocellulose, flame retardants, other coatings, grain geometry, and general composition of the propellant (single-base, double-base, % of nitro in the double-based propellant, etc.) individual propellants respond differently to different primers. A CCI209M is called a "magnum" primer by its designation, yet you'll find examples (see Lyman's 5th, p. 45) where this "magnum primer" makes less peak pressure and velocity than a Winchester 209 or a Fiocchi 616. Flip the page for another example where a Federal 209A and a Fiocchi 616 behave almost identically, but a CCI209M makes more pressure and velocity. In one application, based on results, the CCI209M would be considered in the mid-range, the next example it seems high-powered. Same primer, though.

So, it's not as simple as just calling it a "magnum". And this has nothing to do with the OP's question I realize.

Ok, I figured out the mystery. These are Fiocchi hulls. Head stamps are identical to those listed for sale on BPI’s website.

Boolit Master
    so fiocchi hull gets a * and cheddite dont???

Boolit Grand Master

Cheddite still has stars, 4 apparently and Fiocchi 2. I wonder if these are Cheddite hulls made for Fiocchi? Not that it really matters, as they are so close as to be interchangeable. The copper/silver color is the color of the Fiocchi 616 primer, and yet the colors are reversed on the BPI website.

Boolit Master

Of the hulls I have, Fiocchi has 2 stars and 2 12s (in the OP pic), Cheddite has 4 stars and 4 12s.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Vendor Sponsor

Rio Hulls are also 4 x 4.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0641230Cm.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	257699 here you go .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

USMC 77, USRA 79

yep.. and them CCI 209M primers are multi colored, but who knows if they adhere to some sort of color standard...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9-E7-EB646-76-E4-4-BA4-9336-CAA00298353-C.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	257810
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.