MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Modern Combat and the 30-30

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    The Duke and Deano in Rio Lobo (?). Yeah, it's just a movie, but,... OH, the lever guns.
    Would that be Rio Bravo which included Angie Dickenson?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Mighta been, along with Ricky Nelson and Walter Brennan, as Stumpy. Ward Bond was it.

Lots of lever guns. Really good oater...

Boolit Buddy

Just pulled this off Netflix:Sheriff John Wayne has a problem: He must keep killer Claude Akins from escaping the town lockup (with outside help from his brother and a cadre of hired guns). The only people Wayne can call on for support are an alcoholic Dean Martin, a well-meaning Angie Dickinson, a crippled Walter Brennan and an eager Ricky Nelson.

It's loading on to my computer now, I think I have to see this.

EDIT: Well heck, I thought I was loading, but I ain't. You have to order it, not Watch Instantly. Oh well. In the Queue it goes for later.
    Last edited by 45&30-30; 01-30-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

Boolit Master

While some may disagree there was an article in a Western magazine I get and an article rated Rio Bravo as one of the Dukes best westerns I would tend to agree a good cast and the Duke at his finest. Ol Angie is not hard on the eyes either. I have it in my collection I have a moderate collection of Wayne movies on tape.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

In Remebrance

The Duke did two that had the same story line as Rio Bravo- The one mentioned had Duke, Deano, Ricky, Walter and Angie. The other had Duke, Robert Mitchum, James Cann, an old actor whose name I forget in Walters role and a hot chick I forget. Ed Asner played the bad guy in the 2nd one. Both good, I prefer James Canns "Mississippi" with his sawed off, holstered double 12 to Ricky Nelson.

On the 30-30, etc. If you hang out at THR, Frugal Squirrels, Time Bomb 2000, etc you'll see that everything is geared towards the arrow, not the indian. Gear makes the man at all those places. You don't have a 30-30 or 270, goodness no. You have a MBR ( main battle rifle) or EAR (enhanced assault rifle). You don't have a local neighborhood, you have an AO (area of operations). You must never, as an OPERATOR (!!!) let your LOA (level of awareness) drop below Condition Yellow. You BOB ( bug out bag) contains enough supplies, gas masks, knives, flares, C4, Det Cord, shelter haves and MRE's to outfit Grants army.

After a little while you realize 99% of the posters have never ventured outside their condo or their mom's basement without wearing a Haz Mat suit and SCBA, at least not willingly. The other 1% keep you coming back and giving you faith there's a least a couple folks out there with enough common sense to stay alive after the sun goes down.

BTW- Cast Bullets? They're patently unsafe and unusable.
    Last edited by Bret4207; 01-30-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Thanks, guys! Just added two movies to my queue!

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    The Duke did two that had the same story line as Rio Bravo- The one mentioned had Duke, Deano, Ricky, Walter and Angie. The other had Duke, Robert Mitchum, James Cann, an old actor whose name I forget in Walters role and a hot chick I forget. Ed Asner played the bad guy in the 2nd one. Both good, I prefer James Canns "Mississippi" with his sawed off, holstered double 12 to Ricky Nelson.

On the 30-30, etc. If you hang out at THR, Frugal Squirrels, Time Bomb 2000, etc you'll see that everything is geared towards the arrow, not the indian. Gear makes the man at all those places. You don't have a 30-30 or 270, goodness no. You have a MBR ( main battle rifle) or EAR (enhanced assault rifle). You don't have a local neighborhood, you have an AO (area of operations). You must never, as an OPERATOR (!!!) let your LOA (level of awareness) drop below Condition Yellow. You BOB ( bug out bag) contains enough supplies, gas masks, knives, flares, C4, Det Cord, shelter haves and MRE's to outfit Grants army.

After a little while you realize 99% of the posters have never ventured outside their condo or their mom's basement without wearing a Haz Mat suit and SCBA, at least not willingly. The other 1% keep you coming back and giving you faith there's a least a couple folks out there with enough common sense to stay alive after the sun goes down.

BTW- Cast Bullets? They're patently unsafe and unusable.
    LOL!

Flashbacks to ARFCOM Mall Ninjas...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Rio Bravo had John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Walter Brennan, and Angie Dickinson.
    The other was El Dorado, with John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, and James Caan. The "old coot" was Arthur Hunnicut. His "gimmick" in the picture was blowing a trumpet. The "chick", and she was a real looker, was Charlene Holt.
    Two really excellent movies. Hollywood doesn't have a high opinion of the intelligence of it's customers, so "copying" movies is a very common thing to do. All those old western TV series we had back in the 50s and 60s like Cheyenne, Maverick, Big Valley, etc, are being served again on cable/satellite, in this case on Encore Westerns. I saw one show on Cheyenne, made in '56 or'57, and the very same script made again 2 or 3 years later on Maverick. They even had the effrontry to use the same actress, Diane Brewster, to play the same character in both shows. She later became better known as "the Beaver's" second grade teacher. Another looker.

Boolit Master
    The reason stated is why until I found this site I had almost quit forums THR , AK, whatever were driving me up the wall

Boolit Bub

Smile

If you hang out at THR, Frugal Squirrels, Time Bomb 2000, etc you'll see that everything is geared towards the arrow, not the indian. Gear makes the man at all those places.
    VERY well said.

Boolit Master
    5 or 6 years ago when the idea of 3 gun matches and "Tactical" rifle matches was just getting going at Big Pine Gun Club up in central Maine, I shot in a number of the early ones. There was quite an assortment of redneck assault rifles entered. Generally it was an AR that won the match, but there were AR's that lost as well.

These matches were a mix of close up stuff, 100 yard targets and 200 yard steel targets. There were generally a couple of 20 yard dashes involved and at least one setup forcing you to go prone.

I entered twice with my "truck" gun, a cut down Swede using stripper clips. I didn't win, but I think I stayed in the top half of the finishers in the first match, and I was in the top 3 for the sections I completed in the second match before I dropped out to let the barrel cool after 30 rounds. There were a few guys shooting levers who stayed in the running as well. I think it was after dropping out in the second match that I borrowed an AR and finished 2nd.

After that I did buy an AR, but I really don't feel unarmed with the old swede, and in the type of trouble we're likely to see domestically I think I'd prefer the ability to send out the 140 grainers.

Interestingly, in those early matches when none of the participants really had a clue, with one exception it was older guys shooting the rifles they were familiar with who put on the best performances. The exception was one guy in his 20's who was in excellant shape and had really put some time with the AR. Pretty much anyone shooting anything could dump 3 rounds into a IDPA target at 10 yards. It was the 200 yard targets that sorted things out, and the "hunting" rifles were smoking those.

BD

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    The reason stated is why until I found this site I had almost quit forums THR , AK, whatever were driving me up the wall
    What? Are you saying that tacticool ninjatude isn't your thing?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Actually there were three movies that were pretty much alike.

Rio Bravo 1959 with the crew mentioned above Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson Some consider this Howard Hawks best western even better than Red River

El Dorado 1967 with James Cain Robert Michum Arthur Hunnicutt ect an other Hawks western pretty much a rehash of Rio Bravo.

Rio Lobo 1970 an other Hawks western which was a rehash of the other two only this time it starred Jack Elam as the side kick that in the other movies Walter Brennen and Hunnicutt played the parts. In this one Chris Mitchum played the same sort of part that Ricky Nelson and James Cain played in the earlier movies.

Of course all three had the girl Angie Dickenson in the first one, Charlene Holt in the second and Jennifer O'Neil in the third.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

In case your wondering how I know this I got lucky one time at a flea market and bought a magazine for 5 bucks (Cover price was 2.50 LOL ) that was a tribute to the Duke and had every movie he ever made listed along with who starred in it and a brief synopsis of the movie. To me it is a priceless piece of info.

Seen them all many times. And if they was all on back to back tonight, I'd be setting there watching them again...

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Darn tough to beat Rob.Mitchum @ playing a drunk with little left to lose.. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Buddy

Allright, I can't take it anymore, I'm moving the movie to the TOP of my Netflix Queue, I'll see it in a couple of days...
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    Actually there were three movies that were pretty much alike.

Rio Bravo 1959 with the crew mentioned above Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson Some consider this Howard Hawks best western even better than Red River

El Dorado 1967 with James Cain Robert Michum Arthur Hunnicutt ect an other Hawks western pretty much a rehash of Rio Bravo.

Rio Lobo 1970 an other Hawks western which was a rehash of the other two only this time it starred Jack Elam as the side kick that in the other movies Walter Brennen and Hunnicutt played the parts. In this one Chris Mitchum played the same sort of part that Ricky Nelson and James Cain played in the earlier movies.

Of course all three had the girl Angie Dickenson in the first one, Charlene Holt in the second and Jennifer O'Neil in the third.

Rio Lobo! I knew I was forgetting one! Jen O'Neil was just a baby then and sooooo good looking. Of course that was before she went anti-gun.....

Moderator Emeritus

We toured Old Tuscon in 1990 and AIRC the guide said Ricky Nelson was hot stuff on the Ozzie & Harriet show so he negotiated a deal with the producers that included 3 movies to re-up for the Ozzie & Harriet show. This was the first.
    It is still one of my favorites though not because of him. Walter Brennan shows the appropriate role of a handicapped person working without any affirmative action. The Mexicans shown are hardworking business owners and accepted as friends and equals by Wayne and others. Angie D is flat out smoking. Community people take sides and take action. No wonder they don't make them like this any more.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Yea even though Rio Lobo was not accepted as well as the other two I liked it Jack Elam is a hoot. Even the worst John Wayne movie if there is such a thing after Stage Coach is still heads above some of the crap they put out today.