RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: .22 RN on small game

.22 RN on small game

Team.

I have a very accurate load in my Rem 700 for the Lyman 225462 departing at 2600fps. I figure this would shoot flatish to the thick end of 200 yards.

Has anyone any experience with this bullet or similar on small game? Does it put down rabbits well and if so to what range at what speed?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    Jeff,
    I have that mould and it's one of my favourites. The only game I have shot with it was rabbits and it worked very well for that. The load I used was 6.0 GR of 4759 in the 22 Hornet. The rifle was a TC Contender carbine with a 12" twist. Bullets weighed 62 Gr. cast of WW's. It's been a long time now, but I think the load chronoed 1660 FPS and was very accurate.

WKAYE,

Does it flatten out and expand or does it just punch through? Are you using water quenched or as cast?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jameslovesjammie View Post
    WKAYE,

Does it flatten out and expand or does it just punch through? Are you using water quenched or as cast?
    Not sure. Never recovered one. I just used AC WW's. I haven't hunted rabbits for about 20 years, now I use Lino and just punch paper with that bullet. They come out around 56 Gr. and have been very accurate for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WKAYE View Post
    Jeff,
    I have that mould and it's one of my favourites. The only game I have shot with it was rabbits and it worked very well for that. The load I used was 6.0 GR of 4759 in the 22 Hornet. The rifle was a TC Contender carbine with a 12" twist. Bullets weighed 62 Gr. cast of WW's. It's been a long time now, but I think the load chronoed 1660 FPS and was very accurate.
    At last. A Hornet with a practical twist!

I also run 6.0gr Green Dot for 1700fps with ACWW and this is very accurate too. The 2600fps load is oven heat treated WW at 31 BHN.

I will load some and shoot some small game to see how the RN goes.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    At last. A Hornet with a practical twist!

I also run 6.0gr Green Dot for 1700fps with ACWW and this is very accurate too. The 2600fps load is oven heat treated WW at 31 BHN.

I will load some and shoot some small game to see how the RN goes.
    Jeff

Some years back (about 30+) I was using that bullet in a 14" twist M788 .222 at about 2500+ fps (working on memory, X-wife throew out records in '81). The bullets were cast of linotype and WQ'd so the BHN should have been up there close to yours. I shot a few jack rabbits and rock Chuck with it. Out to around 100 yards or so the bullets appeared to have shattered very shortly after impact. Made horrific mess of 'em and death was very quick. Past that to probably around 200 yards hits were through and through with quick deaths. Accuracy was 1.5 -2 moa for the first 20 shots or so. I would lightly clean the barrel after 20 shots and never had a problem. Recently picked up another 225462 mould and looking forward to trying it in my 14" twist M700 22-250.

Larry Gibson

Larry,
    Will lino heat treat? I have a borrowed mold and cast WW/Lino 50-50 and water drop. I have been shooting in an NEF handi Rifle in .223. I bump the nose a touch in the Lubesizer for hunting boolits. Even @ 1500 or so it punches a pretty nice hole threw bunnies. I used it a few years back with like 1+ gr Bulls Eye and dacron for shooting bunnies in a rose thicket from the tractor seat.Again noses bumped and hit in the head they were anchored fast and no meat damage. I just picked up a 788 in .222 for a cast gun.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Thanks Larry.

I figure even at 200 they are probably still doing 1800fps. Just curious to know who much terminal velocity is needed to cleanly down a animal when hit in the 'boiler room'. Rabbits and hares can be remarkably tough. I have only ever used the 225415 departing at 1900fps and it is hard to compare the two bullets given the 415's flat nose.

I think you have answered my question.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    Might be some tougher critters down under, but even a 50 grain 22 cal at 1800fps generates about 350 ft/lbs of kinetic energy. Should be more than enough juice.

I don't know if you have squirrles there, but here they are plentiful. In my opinion they are the toughest critters per pound that exists. They are regularly dropped with 22LR rounds that generate just over 100 ft/lbs energy.

My suggestion is to try one of those jokers you are making on a cat first. If it kills the cat instantly...great, if it takes a while, well at least a critter with a purpose didn't have to suffer.
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Grand Master

mroliver77

"Will lino heat treat?"

Yes.

'I just picked up a 788 in .222 for a cast gun."

I hate you!....just kidding though I am envious. The triggers can be worked over and they make very good cast bullet shooters. I formed my cases from .223 case which gave a thicker neck to better support the cast bullet during trasition into the leade. Let us know how she shoots.

Larry Gibson