Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which die set do you prefer for 45 colt?

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS Carbide dies with a spray from Hornady one case lube.

Boolit Master

I favor the steel sizer for .45Colt, and the Lyman M-Die for expanding any cartridge to be loaded with cast.
    And if you trim all your cases to Minimum after their 1st firing, you can use a seat/crimp die from then on. A roll crimp is always better in my opinion.
    Of course you need a bullet with a crimp groove for that. Except the .44-40 with the old Lyman #42798. I crimp it over the ogive and it works fine in my Uberti 1873 24.5" Rifle. Takes 14rds in the Mag Tube, not 13 as the catalog says. Shorter O.A.L. allows for one more round in the Mag Tube.
    And I have never had a bullet forced back into the case under spring tension or recoil. Been shooting that Rifle for 32yrs. Only 13rds with the Magma 200-225gr bullets though.

And the old Lyman #454190 in .45Colt. Same thing as goes for that Bullet/Cartridge combo as goes for the .44-40.

But I do shoot the Lee #452-230-TC in .45Colt, hafta use a Taper Crimp on that Bullet/Load.
    You just CANNOT beat those old Lyman ALL AMERICAN Dies from the early 1960's.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I don't think the 45 Colt should be loaded with carbide dies, either for accuracy or longevity.
    All I ever used, are RCBS carbide dies, on 45 LC. Been loading that round since the 80's in my BH. I get over 20 reloadings out of the brass with cast and Ruger only loads. I do use a Lyman "M" type expander for .454 diameter bullets.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    If you have flat base bullets, care is needed to assure they seat straight and don't wipe the base edges. My seater stem is drilled out with a 3/8 bit so it only touches the shoulder of the slug. No adjustments are needed for other slug length or weight .

For sizer, l use eithe Hornady new dimension 454 casull die or a Lee FCP die minus the guts. The larger id of the sized brass allows a fb slug to enter 1/16th inch by hand and it can seat straight.
    Regards

Vendor Sponsor

So far no one has asked as to what level of performance the OP is loading for, which would have a bigtime affect on the type and amount of crimp needed.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Had to check, Lee Carbide Sizer, Lyman 'M' Expander, Lee Bullet Seater, Herter's Seater/Crimper set-up as Crimp Die, max load is 20gr IMR4227, Lyman 454424 (.454). Herter's Die provides roll crimp without bullet moving issues in 'Colt' clone weight revolvers or Taurus 2" Titanium 5 shot Model 460 (NOT a Judge). The Taurus will pull Remington 225's so that cylinder won't turn.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a hodge podge of dies also .

I have RCBS steel and carb . The first set of carb way over sized the bodies and I took to neck sizing . The steel dies solved that .

As for crimp dies i don't have an easy with 2 ACP , 4 Colts , a S&W and a 460 sets from Lee , Lyman , and RCBS plus a loose taper and gutted FCD I use as a body sizer for a really fat chambers . The old Lyman ACP/AR seat and crimp makes a gentle roll crimp . The Lyman and RCBS steel and even the carbide make good crimps . .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Lee does make a collet crimp die for 357,41,44 mags and 45 Colts .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Lee does make a collet crimp die for 357,41,44 mags and 45 Colts .
    https://leeprecision.com/reloading-d...ory-crimp-die/
    https://leeprecision.com/reloading-d...ory-crimp-die/

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm an odd duck out here and a little bit anal to boot. I use the Hornady dies for all of my revolvers. However, I use an M die for expanding, and a Redding Profile Crimp die for the crimp. This is for 357, 44, 45 Colt, and 454.

I really like the Hornady seater, just not without the crimp function used.

I prefer the Dillon pistol dies for my 45 colt. I have been very happy with them, I really like being able to take out the seating punch and being able to clean it without having to unscrew a stem. I do use a touch of lube on my cases to make things easier on me. Separate seating and crimp dies is a blessing I think.

WashingMike

Boolit Grand Master

My 45 Colt dies are RCBS and work fine with cast bullets. I would look at Dillon if I didn't already have the RCBS set. Theres probably not a wrong answer here, most any brand should work.

My .45 everything dies are RCBS carbide labeled .45 ACP/Auto Rim. I did happen to acquire a .45 Colt sizer so it's what I use for crimping the longer cartridges without having to adjust.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    My .45 everything dies are RCBS carbide labeled .45 ACP/Auto Rim. I did happen to acquire a .45 Colt sizer so it's what I use for crimping the longer cartridges without having to adjust.
    You must mean seater die?

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member