RepackboxWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bucket list broomy

Boolit Master
    If you are talking about the .30 Mauser I would use Unique.

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If you are talking about the .30 Mauser I would use Unique.
    Oops.
    I will be reloading 9mm.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    5.0 x WW-231 is listed as a "max" load with the RCBS 115 and 124 grain cast bullets in the 1986-produced RCBS Cast Bullet Manual, No. 1. Out of an abundance of caution, I would start with 4.5 grains of 231, and if reliable function is produced I would leave things at that. If the pistol is balky due to low pressure, step up the loadings until reliable function occurs, and go no higher.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    5.0 x WW-231 is listed as a "max" load with the RCBS 115 and 124 grain cast bullets in the 1986-produced RCBS Cast Bullet Manual, No. 1. Out of an abundance of caution, I would start with 4.5 grains of 231, and if reliable function is produced I would leave things at that. If the pistol is balky due to low pressure, step up the loadings until reliable function occurs, and go no higher.
    Ok. Maybe I will start out at 4.0 grains and work up the load. Good tip.

Boolit Master

Nice looking Broomhandle.
    Congrats on the purchase!
    I have one of those in a "smoothbore" model.
    Chinese must have never learned to clean guns after corrosive (my guess)
    I kept saying I was going to send it to that outfit in Florida for a new barrel/rechamber, but never got off my duff until they disappeared.
    Now I have a large paperweight!
    Last edited by TCLouis; 05-31-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Add info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I kept saying I was going to send it to that outfit in Florida for a new barrel/rechamber, but never got off my duff until they disappeared.
    How sad. Shot out bore? Probably need additional parts too? You need to discard that unsafe chinese knockoff. I would be glad to assist in disposal.
    Imho I would put some $$ in it and have a fun time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post
    Ok. Maybe I will start out at 4.0 grains and work up the load. Good tip.

FWIW--I cooked up a "duplicator load" for the 9mm W-W sub-sonic 147 grain JHP load that my old shop still authorizes. It uses 4.1 grains of WW-231 and gives about 950 FPS to jacketed 147 grain HPs, which mimics the carry load pretty closely. 4.0 grains of WW-231 might make everything work with a 115-125 grain bullet, or it might be a little weak for full-function or bolt lock-back. 9mm pistols follow different rules than the 45 ACP or most revolver rounds do.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    FWIW--I cooked up a "duplicator load" for the 9mm W-W sub-sonic 147 grain JHP load that my old shop still authorizes. It uses 4.1 grains of WW-231 and gives about 950 FPS to jacketed 147 grain HPs, which mimics the carry load pretty closely. 4.0 grains of WW-231 might make everything work with a 115-125 grain bullet, or it might be a little weak for full-function or bolt lock-back. 9mm pistols follow different rules than the 45 ACP or most revolver rounds do.
    My normal load is 4.0 gr of 231 with a 115 or 124 fmj. 3.5 or so for lead.
    Also have a bunch of titegroup 4.0 gr with 124s fmj. I dont like the tg I feel it runs a bit hotter than the 231.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a 1920s commercial model in .30 Mauser, but I'd love to have one in 9mm just so I could shoot it more. I guess one of these days I'll have to get around to loading for 30 Mauser, but it seems like I always have another project waiting that gets in the way

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Redman's will reline it to 7.62 or rebore to 9mm- your choice. At least they used to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    I've got a 1920s commercial model in .30 Mauser, but I'd love to have one in 9mm just so I could shoot it more. I guess one of these days I'll have to get around to loading for 30 Mauser, but it seems like I always have another project waiting that gets in the way
    Get a set of dies and a mould for that pistol and start shooting. Reloading .30 Mauser is very easy, not fraught with toil and trouble as claimed by some.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Redman's will reline it to 7.62 or rebore to 9mm- your choice. At least they used to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I had one relined by Randy about 5 years ago. Tip: Call him first to make sure he has the capacity/time to take it in, don't just mail it off. He was glad I called first. He will add that if you send the bolt he will headspace it too. I got mine back in just over a month, IIRC, and the new bore and chamber were very nicely done.

BDGR

Boolit Master

Yes Redman's still does or did last I checked last fall or so.
    Trouble is I am a cheapskate and not sure I could get that much enjoyment out of it.
    Barrel is shot/corroded out.
    Would likely go 9mm even though I have a few hundred (I think) rounds of milsurp 7.6?X??.
    Only part that I know of needed is a firiing pin and I have a new one of those lying around "somewhere".
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    As long as it is German milsurp or is Mauser ammo then it would be ok. If it is Russian then might be subgun ammo and should not be used. Just about anything labeled 7.62x25 is suspect. Most Mauser ammo I have seen is labeled 7.63