WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me powder

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Cleanest burning powder of choice for .38 Special, .45 Colt standard pressure and .45 ACP up to full hardball, but not +P is WST.

This was Olin's replacement for 452AA, which we used in competition for many years. Meters like water in the Star.

TiteGroup also very good in any application where you would use Bullseye, including rifle "cat sneeze" loads, but burns much cleaner.

For applications where you would normally use Unique in full-charge loads, such as .38 Special +P, .45 ACP and 9mm hardball level, 7.62x25 Tok, .30 M1 Carbine Olin AutoComp works very well.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Shhh. Outpost. That’s my sleeper powder. Clays is nice too, don’t run to max though. I stumbled onto clays with .45 ACP in match loads. I happened to have a big jug from 28 ga.

Sport Pistol and BE 86 are also in testing.

Thanks fellers. Gives me some food for thought. Will have to get a couple and begin experiments. Lots of variants but a couple shine thru.

I have been shooting Red Dot in everything for over 5 years now.
    New calibers keep getting added and it keeps working in all of them.

The exception is in cycling Semi auto rifles. It simply does not cycle my Yugo SKS.
    Of course I always have the option of turning the gas off and treating it like a straight pull bolt.

It does cycle all my pistol caliber carbines, Hipoint's in 9mm, 40sw, and .45acp show no problems at all.

If you go too low, you will find sooty cases. Just go up a half a grain until it quits.
    Found this is both .40sw and .45acp.

Recently found a 4 lb jug at a decent price, local store, so no hazmat or shipping. So I am back up on the plus side of 30 lbs of Red Dot/Promo.

I stock a few others but 99% of my shooting is with Red Dot.

I find it very economical, reasonably clean, reasonably decent to meter.

YMMV

Depends on how light or heavy you want to load those cartridges. And how many powders you want to keep on hand

1 powder, W231
    2 powders, Clays and Power Pistol
    3 powders, Clays W231 and Power Pistol
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

There are some good powders in your list, but the only ones that compare to Unique for versatility are Universal and Green dot.

It really depends how heavy you want to load those cartridges. Most of the powders you listed are fast target powders. If that's what you want, I'll add American Select as a very clean, affordable, and available powder.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve used RedDot, Bullseye and TiteGroup for all the calibers you listed except 40s&w which I have no experience at all. Of those I use Bullseye the most, fallowed by TiteGroup.

I use Bullseye with great results in 32auto, 32S&W Long, 32H&R mag, 327FM, 32/20, 38LC, 38spl, 357mag, 44/40, 44 Russian, 44spl, 45 Auto Rim, 45acp, 45 Schofield, 45 Colt and reduced loads in 30wcf.

I like Bullseye because it and Unique are the first powders I ever bought, also I have a ton of it, but TiteGroup works well and meters like water.
    Last edited by Wheelgun; 05-01-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Buddy
    I load 9mm, .38 special, .45acp and .44 special with Titegroup. I also load light .357 and light .44 magnums with Titegroup. Burns clean, is very consistent and a little goes a long way. Meters very well in a Dillion 550. My go to powder for most of my reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Universal is a ballistically inconsistent mistake in any large cases low pressure round like 38 Special, 45 Colt, and modest pressure 357.
    I agree, I found Universal to be terrible with 125gr bullets in 38spl when i bought a pound of it 25 years ago.
    About 15 years ago i revisited Universal and tried it in 45 acp. (This time i had a chrono) Worked up to 850fps and had 100fps extreme spread. No thanks, other powders light off and burn consistently at lower pressures.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master

Don’t know about 357 mag & 45 colt but TiteGroup works well for me in the others you listed. I switched to TG from Unique 3 years ago when TG was $4.00 less per pound. It does run cleaner and meters well. Down sides: clings to plastic powder measure hopper & it is a dense, low volume powder so it doesn’t come close to half-filling large cases. If you’re neurotic like me about visually inspecting charged cases you’ll understand.

Well did it. Bought three powders today ... bullseye, red dot and titegroup. Will begin my load experimentation shortly. Thanks to everybody for your experience and recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by slughammer View Post
    I agree, I found Universal to be terrible with 125gr bullets in 38spl when i bought a pound of it 25 years ago.
    About 15 years ago i revisited Universal and tried it in 45 acp. (This time i had a chrono) Worked up to 850fps and had 100fps extreme spread. No thanks, other powders light off and burn consistently at lower pressures.
    Universal works great for me at 850 to 1050 fps. Clean burning, 40 fps. spread and plenty accurate with 125 grain plated bullets in .357 brass.

Boolit Master

I have used a lot of Titegroup in the calibers you have listed, with good results.

But I have started using Alliant BE-86 in those calibers and I like it even better! Meters accurately, burns clean, low flash and same velocities. What’s not to like. YMMV
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Man
    Universal for 45 acp and 45 colt. 6.2gr for 45 acp 230gr jhp.(my hunting round) and for the colt 11.0 gr for a 230 gr jhp. Those are for ruger only loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shift Universal near bullet deliberately just before firing, chronograph five shots. Shift near primer deliberately, fire five shots over chronograph. Brace for disappointment.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of TiteGroup. Like Unique in that you can make something fly out of about anything using it. It's faster and cleaner burning than Unique but just as versatile. Be careful when working up loads with TG it goes from just right to too much very quickly. 32 S&W through 454 Casull and everything in between, my go to powder. Gp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I'm a big fan of TiteGroup. Like Unique in that you can make something fly out of about anything using it. It's faster and cleaner burning than Unique but just as versatile. Be careful when working up loads with TG it goes from just right to too much very quickly. 32 S&W through 454 Casull and everything in between, my go to powder. Gp
    And they sell it at the WalMart in Moscow, ID...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    If you're looking for a cleaner burn, then WST is a good choice with the same burn rate as Green Dot and 700X. VV N310 is very clean with the same burn rate as Bullseye, but it's pricey. Titegroup is a good choice; clean and lives up to its name. The flake powders like Red & Green Dot tend to be dirty.

Boolit Master

ALL POWDERS you have listed will work and have there merits!

My choice is Power Pistol and Clays.

I just started using PP last year and I am really liking it!!

Been using Clays for years its clean burning is its bet asset to me.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Goex 3F in a Navy Colt will prompt an appreciation of dirty old nasty Unique.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.