Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Forty smith round nose mold?

Boolit Man

Forty smith round nose mold?

hi all,
    is there a design out there for a 40sw LRN akin to its 45acp cousin??
    cant seem to find one,and dont know why not?
    thanks

bushka

Boolit Grand Master
    The closest thing to a "round-nose" 40/10mm mould design is the Lyman round flat-nose #401403, designed for the 38-40 WCF.

The 40 S&W and 10mm calibers both arrived on scene after gunmakers and gunsmiths largely figured out how to make autopistols run reliably on bullet designs other than FMJ RN profiles. I suspect that has something to do with the absence of the RN designs you ask about in 40 S&W.

The RN isn't real great at cutting clean holes in target paper or into assailants, although a bullet of any shape doesn't do its recipient a lot of good. Truncated cone or hollow-point designs carry a bit more "street cred" than does plain old hardball--but again I stress my strong preference for "Choice C--none of the above" when it comes to potential exchanges of finality. Better to not be there at all, if possible.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Yep you'll find everyone has a TC design for the 40!

Lee even offers a SWC if you want that, but a Round nose? Nope!

Honestly you won't see a difference in how the TC feed over a RN. I've fire both through 9's and the 45 's for years. If you get your C.O.L. correct the will feed forever as long as you keep the gun clean!