RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Bullet Shape vs Accuracy

Boolit Bub

Bullet Shape vs Accuracy

Generally, what is more accurate, semi box cutter(Keith), rnfp, or trunkated cone say out to 50 yards. Maybe at at that distance there is no difference ?

Generally, I haven’t seen a difference. However, some bullets just fly better than others. I think a good bullet is where the accuracy comes from. I use alot of semi wadcutters because they are good hunting bullets. I have a noe rnfp mold that is deadly accurate with any load I put together.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Within 50 yards with appropriate load workup you won't find much difference. I will say though, some designs are "easier" to find accuracy and are also more forgiving with finding the right bullet to powder combination.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies. I'm loading for my new to me 44 special probably a Missouri or Acme 240gr coated.

I would try missouri first. I got a batch of very poor quality bullets from Acme.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Within 50 yards with appropriate load workup you won't find much difference. I will say though, some designs are "easier" to find accuracy and are also more forgiving with finding the right bullet to powder combination.
    This has been my experience as well. The rnfp seems much easier to find a load that is accurate and usually can find several. The semi wadcutter can be very accurate if you have the patience to find a load that works. Just my experience but then I am special ymmv

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I believe from my testing round nose bullets may be the most accurate, though they are often a poor choice for hunting and for paper.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

So much depends on your particular handgun and how everything lines up. Some nose shapes are slightly better at getting good accuracy with less than perfect alignment that others. If everything is perfect, any boolit should work well.
    As MT Gianni said, round nose tends to be the easiest to get an accurate load with. This would be followed by RNFP and then SWC. Bullet choice will also depend on what you are planning to use the gun for.
    Some work better for paper or hunting than others.
    If you are looking for a one type, do it all boolit, probably the RNFP. It is a good general purpose design.

Boolit Master

I did some testing with a model 14 S&W. I used 158 g. RN and SWC at 50 yards with a ransom rest. Of course this was a .38 Spec.
    All in all I could find no major difference in accuracy between the 2 boolit configurations. I think the worst group was around 4" and the best was 1 5/8",but most fell in the 2-3 inches. There was not enough difference to say one was better than the other.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with Bigboredad on post # 6. In my testing with 38 special with light loads the round nose or round/flat over the swc. On high end loads the swc will often do better. One load that don't fit the previous statement is the Lee 105 swc. I load 4.1 grains of HP-38 crimped heavy in the crimp groove and with a 6 inch barrel it is the same zero at 50 and 25 yds. It is also a one hole group at both yardages out of a model 14 with an ultra dot off sand bags rest. My 4 inch model 15 it is a little low at 50 with a 25 yard zero. If I could only have two molds it would be the Lee 105 swc and the Lee 158 rf.
    But!!!!! there is always exceptions but I push the 105 at mid range and the round nose I can get to go slow and the round/flat is accurate from mid to high speed and the heavy swc I have to push them hard for top accuracy.
    Have fun,
    Tony

Boolit Bub
    I orderd 300 Missouri 240gr RNFP Smasher coated. I will load them in the 900 fps rang and see how they do. Will do another post after the test.

Boolit Master
    The best answer is to test out a few to see what your gun likes best.

Some guns prefer round nose, some like LFN, some like Keith/SWC nose....

Not unlike a JHP, I would say the TC would have a slight accuracy edge @ 50y, more wt to the rear. Then again, All guns are not the same with all bullets.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol