RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: convert to 25-35

Boolit Master

convert to 25-35

I really want to mess around with a 25-35. The older I get the more I appreciate older cartridges. Does any one have experience with converting a 336 or a 94 to this cartridge. I try do most of the work myself but I don't have to reinvent the wheel on this project. thanks
    Look twice, shoot once.

I did a 94 to .38-55 from .30-30. I did have to relieve the guide rails a bit for the straighter case but you shouldn't need to do that with the .25-36. It should be a simple rebarrel job for either Marlin or Winchester.

Boolit Master

I had Dennis Olson in Plains,MT rebarrel a 336 to .25/35. He used a Douglas 1-10 twist premium grade barrel. It's a shooter and I'm glad that I made one./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    I had Dennis Olson in Plains,MT rebarrel a 336 to .25/35. He used a Douglas 1-10 twist premium grade barrel. It's a shooter and I'm glad that I made one./beagle
    Beagle , I had thoughts of getting a Marlin 336CB and having the octagon barrel relined to 25-35 WIN or 25-36 Marlin . But before I could get my hands on an extra 336Cb donor I ran across a nice old Marlin 1893 in 25-36 Marlin of 1906 vintage if memory serves !

It is a neat old cartridge no doubt !

I shoot the Lyman 257325 115 grain RN GC and the NEI 114 grain FP GC . One of these days if I ever get to it I'd like to kill a deer with the rifle and one of these bullets . But at the moment there are quite a few others in front of this one
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Although I never did a 25-35 conversion I do have a old Marlin "Glenfield" 36G I bought to rebarrel to 7-30 Waters . But as of yet I haven't brought myself to having the job done
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

The .25-35/.25-36 is the best farm gun going.

Just heavy enough for deer and light enough for varmints.

I've sure enjoyed the one I had made up./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    thanks guys for the input. I really wanted to hear from someone who actually did it and now i have. I am surprised how little info is around concerning the 25-35. I was sure Paco would have info on pushing the 117 around 2600 fps but could not find anything. My thought is once the conversion is successful to improve the cartridge. I am not a speed freak but i do believe in newer actions these old rounds have a little more to give than average minds have been educated on by the magazine writers.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Nekshot. I do have a Mod 1894 win that I can change back and forth between 32-40 and 25-35. Guide rails and cartridge carrier work fine on both for me. Your head space should be fine but check for sure.
    As far as the 25-35 improved cartrige goes P.O. Ackley uses the words "suprisingly efficent". I'd work up slow with some of P.O.'s max loads but he does list the 100 gr. bullet to 3130 fps.
    Kevin

Boolit Mold
    I wouldn't recommend the Ackley 25-35 Imp if you wish to shoot lead. The neck is quite short. I have one on a 94 and it is a whiz with jacketed bullets, but limited to fairly short ones in lead to keep the OA length OK and not let the bullet intrude into the case below the neck. The ICL version had a longer neck and would be better in my opinion. I use 250-3000 starting data reduced about 10% and work up. The Ackley Imp has the same case capacity as the 250.
    Jim