RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Source for 45-70 barrel kit for egyption 43 cal rolling block action

Boolit Buddy

Source for 45-70 barrel kit for egyption 43 cal rolling block action

Anyone know of source for barrel kit to convert a 43 Egyptian rolling block action to shoot 45-70?

Boolit Master
    I don't know of any kits but Green mountain has barrels. The round one may have to be contoured but the tapered octagon would only need threaded, chambered, blued etc

If I ever get retired I plan on putting one of those on a Swedish 67/89
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Barrel kits? Better forget that idea, and simply fit a barrel or have one fitted. Even if you found a barrel already fitted to another Egyptian 43 it would likely not fit and headspace correctly on the next one it was screwed onto.

Boolit Grand Master

The tapered octagon can be made contoured into half octagon barrel contour also. If using the octagon blank then thee threads need to be timed so the flats line up right. Not a big deal but its there. Another thing is these are normally square threads not a big deal but a different cutter and slightly different set up to cut.

One thing I always thought would look interesting was on the half round barrel intead of the wedding band at the junction between round and octagon just let it low out into the octagon on the taper of the round section.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post

One thing I always thought would look interesting was on the half round barrel intead of the wedding band at the junction between round and octagon just let it flow out into the octagon on the taper of the round section.
    I've seen it done a few times and it looks horrible to my eyes. A wedding band is a neat option, but I prefer just a simple clean transition like most makers did in the 1800's.

Boolit Grand Master

The big reason I never turned it on a scrap piece was the hand polishing involved on those tapered radiuses flowing into the octagon section keeping edges sharp and true would be a big problem.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Call CPA Rifles ... Phone: 1-570-828-1669
    Regards
    John

How about buying a Marlin Barrel from Gun Parts Corporation and turning it down to use as a liner to reline the existing Barrel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I bought a 43 Egyptian for $200 bucks that looked like it spent its life on a camel and dropped in the sand a lot. But it had a great bore. Converted 32 brass shotgun shells into brass and it’s a wonderful 200 yard steel plate shooter with Lyman’s 385 ( 45-70) grain bullet downsized to .451 to fit and 13 grains unique. I still only have 24 cases ( one didn’t survive the forming process) and that is enough for now as it’s not the only gun I bring to the range.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    At one time Numrich sold threaded and short chambered barrels for the rolling block, and a handful of other rifles. Haven't looked to see if they still do or not.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.