Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: i made me some clangers!

Boolit Master

Wink i made me some clangers!

i made myself some clangers for .22 and cowboy guns today.
    i have 2" T bar pipes in the ground and hang these from them at 50 /80 100/130 yds.
    i as you can see i made 5 sizes.

Those look great!
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Boolit Master

Talking

THEY SHOULD BE FUN
    i like whackin em with my 45's
    pow pow!

unclebill, how are you going to hang them? I made portable targets that knock down flat to haul in my Tahoe. I welded a pin on the end of each bar to go into the T bar stand. They work really well.
    Last edited by crabo; 12-02-2008 at 04:22 AM.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    ive got permanent T bars in the yard.
    so i just slide them over the ends.

Boolit Master
    i need some steel with a brinell hardness of 500 for rifle

Boolit Master
    no fair!
    i just got crappy ol circles!

Boolit Master

cool and can be used in the "yard" no less. I wish I had that kind of yard.

I make alot of these on a pin table with a plasma cutter and when the shapes are welded onto the arms I put them on a downward angle so the bullets are deflected into the ground under the gong. I dug a 4'x3'x2' deep pit where the targets are placed and then line it with heavy plastic or weedblock and fill it with about 2' of play sand. Than after a few thousand shots you can sift the sand under it for recovering the bullet lead for later use. Just a little trick I found to save some lead and I invite all my friends over that shoot cast boolits so I get their lead also.LOL. You dont need high strength steel and you need thick steel plate and I use at least 5/8" thick for larger calibers and the angle helps so theirs no passthrus.
    Last edited by mikenbarb; 11-14-2008 at 09:15 PM.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Boolit Master
    i took my homade clangers out and started nailin em using my S.A1911A1 @ 50 yds. .45acp with fmj factory ammo.
    as you can see those rounds did nothing but knock the paint off of them.
    i think these will hold up for a good long time.
    when i hit the smaller one it twirled around the T bar THREE OR FOUR TIMES!
    (that was kinda fun...)
    im getting a lil better at this.

those rounds didnt even leave a dimple in that steel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenbarb View Post
    I make alot of these on a pin table with a plasma cutter and when the shapes are welded onto the arms I put them on a downward angle so the bullets are deflected into the ground under the gong. I dug a 4'x3'x2' deep pit where the targets are placed and then line it with heavy plastic or weedblock and fill it with about 2' of play sand. Than after a few thousand shots you can sift the sand under it for recovering the bullet lead for later use. Just a little trick I found to save some lead and I invite all my friends over that shoot cast boolits so I get their lead also.LOL. You dont need high strength steel and you need thick steel plate and I use at least 5/8" thick for larger calibers and the angle helps so theirs no passthrus.
    these hang at a slight downward angle because of the weight of the plate.

Boolit Master
    I love shooting steel.

I'm in the process of building a steel backstop for shooting in the shop during winter. The back stop is 3/8"AR500 plate 8'x12' at a 60º angle over a 4.5'x12' sand box built out of 12" I beam for a frame. Will post pics when it's set up. Have to go get a half truckload of sand to fill er up and weld one more plate on.

Me and my shooting partner used to build steel ringers and knock down plates out of scrap 1/2 and 5/8" AR500 that I always had around from heavy equipment projects. All kinds of pepper poppers and plates from 4" square blocks to IPSC target sized ringers. They're great for pistol but if you shoot them much with a rifle they tend to break down. For rifles we like old suitcase tractor weights or 1 to 1.5" steel plate. One trick for rifles is to angle the plate fairly severely and allow it to move or swing on a chain. That allows it to deflect the energy down and not absorb it.

One ranch that we shoot at has them set up on posts hanging from chains at intervals up to a mile from the bench. They get holed after a while from some of the safari stuff they shoot sometimes but we feel really good when we can ring them with a light rifle. Pretty impressive when you drive down his driveway and pass the plates with big .50 cal holes in them and can barely see the house where the benches are set up.

Did I mention I like shooting steel?

Brian.

Boolit Master

Question

brian
    you werent very clear on one point.
    do you like shooting steel or not?
    this is no time to be wishy washy..

Boolit Master
    I'll post pics of the backstop in a day or two. In the winter it's sometimes too cold or too hard to find the brass in the snow around here. Our plan is to shoot inside the shop (120' long) so as to avoid annoying the neighbors too. They are quite a ways away but gunshots are fairly loud up the canyon.

I may not be accurate but I'm really slow.

B

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappy View Post
    I'll post pics of the backstop in a day or two. In the winter it's sometimes too cold or too hard to find the brass in the snow around here. Our plan is to shoot inside the shop (120' long) so as to avoid annoying the neighbors too. They are quite a ways away but gunshots are fairly loud up the canyon.

I may not be accurate but I'm really slow.

B
    that sounds ideal!

BTW
    my motto at work is
    im sloppy and slow
    but well paid!

Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    i need some steel with a brinell hardness of 500 for rifle
    No, not really. You can try getting a Box Car Coil Spring bottom plate and it will last for 15-20 years....or so. Give or take. The one in the first photo below we put up in 1992. It's the same plate as the center photo, but cut in half. Still going strong. These plates or pads are pretty common around any rail terminal that repairs box cars. I asked for one and they gave me 5 as a gift.

This is what one looks like after 10 years of Ball. AP, API, APIT, in .30 caliber.

This is what it looks like when you get it from the railyard:

And this is what is looks like after only a few years of use:

The hardest part with these blocks is suspending them. The chains work pretty well, but odds are after 6 months or so you will be replacing a chain after its been hit a few times by 7.62 x 51 or 54R projectiles.

The one in the bottom photo is perfectly capable of taking Incendiary rounds from .50BMG. They can take hits from .50BMG AP, API and Ball, but the AP or Ball cores will rebound sometimes as far back as 250 yards. We stopped shooting at steel with .50BMG under 500 yards after the 4th or 5th incident of a core whistling over our heads after a solid hit at <200 yards.

FWIW......
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    brian
    you werent very clear on one point.
    do you like shooting steel or not?
    this is no time to be wishy washy..
    I dunno if I'd take this guy out shooting steel... Might be one of them wusses that thinks the clangs are too loud, or something...

Of course, a lot of them think punching paper makes too much noise, too...

You need to pick somebody for a shooting buddy who loves shooting lead............

at steel........

Are you an American? Or do you just live here?...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thewanderingmind View Post
    I dunno if I'd take this guy out shooting steel... Might be one of them wusses that thinks the clangs are too loud, or something...

Of course, a lot of them think punching paper makes too much noise, too...

You need to pick somebody for a shooting buddy who loves shooting lead............

at steel........

i adore that noise i get when i nail steel with one of my more powerful wheelguns!

Boolit Master

You know they call that "instant gratification."

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    i even like the sound of that term.
    instant gratification
    mmm mmmmmm!