Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: linotype to lead ratio

Boolit Bub

linotype to lead ratio

just picked up some linotype,and i was wonderin how much lino do i need to add to 10 lbs of lead to makke a decent not hard but not soft hunting bullet for 41mag,44caliber and 45 caliber. your input will be truly appreciated dan

dukers,

If you're going to mix it with straight soft lead, I'd try using 3 Lbs of lino added to the 10 Lbs of lead and see if that gets you close enough.

It will add enough tin to help fillout of the boolit, and a bit of hardness from the antimony.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Bub
    thanks murph. dan

Banned

the standard 3 lead to 1 lino is close to ww's.
    and will do just fine.

Boolit Master

OK..,,,.......now I was wondering how much lino to WW to get a medium hardness hunting boolit....35, 375, and 40 caliber for a 2000 fps GC boolit? or is there anything to be gained by adding lino?
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Banned

i run a 4/6 mix for bout 18 bhn. i do this if i need a bit more size over ww's
    you can get this with 3-1 ww's to lino and adding 3% more tin.
    you can also get this same hardness by water dropping ww's with tin.
    i use for hunting ww's with 2 % tin added and cut with 30% or more pure
    and then water drop.
    the 4/6 mix seems to be brittle and i use it on small game,, coyotes on down. and for targets.

Boolit Master

I normally mix my WWs with recovered (cleaned) range scrap...1 part WWs to 2 parts range scrap...which seems to approximate commercial Lyman #2 alloy (+/- 1 bhn) and use that mix for anything up to around 1100 fps. Going faster than that, I mix 3 parts #2 with 1 part Lino for around 18 bhn (air cooled) or 20-21 bhn if water dropped or oven heat-treated. This is my "standard" alloy for all my bottle-neck rifle cases which run from around 1850 fps to 2060 fps, depending upon caliber.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    dukers65, I sometimes use 1-3 (lino-pb) in my .358, which I water dropped and they run 21B in hardness. Several years ago, I tested these for penetration/expansion in wet newsprint against some Serria 200 grain RNs and found practically no difference.
    JDL