Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS Chargemaster WOW!!

Boolit Master
    I just got done wrapping one up for my 2 sons it will make a great xmas present. I have had one for a few years one of the best things I have ever bought for reloading.

Boolit Master
    I really like my RCBS Chargemaster 1500.

There was one thing I never really understood though, and I didn't pick up on it while going through the instructions either.

The clear plastic draft protector cover.

I never really understood how one would use this. When I have the clear cover snapped in place, I can't easily pick up the powder pan. So I pretty much only attached the draft cover while the unit was off. Using it as more of a dust cover than anything else.

Then I saw this picture on the web.

It never occurred to me to only attach one side of the draft cover, and use it like a swinging hinge. (like in the above image) Maybe I'm just dense, but it would have been nice if someone had put that picture in the instructions for people like me.

I still mostly use my Chargemaster without the wind/breeze/draft plastic cover on, as there's not much of a draft present in my loading room. I'd already learned long ago not to exhale heavily on any reloading scale.

Figured it was worth mentioning in case there's any other Luddites out there like me, that don't watch a lot of videos.

- Bullwolf

Hey Bulls....hows the snow pack up there? Still fall down on this side of the mountain!

That hinge thing..."It's one of those..."NO DUH ! (slap yourself in the forehead things)"

Don't fret...the older you get...the more you do it! . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    I like mine. Another tool to do a specific job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170729_134738.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	208466

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Wonderful scale/dispenser. The only way to load the big RL powders.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the heck out of mine. It's a huge upgrade over the powdermaster I replaced that took years to calibrate and start dispensing compared the chargemaster.
    It doesn't get along with some powders. I was throwing 76 grains of 4831sc today and got .2-.4 over several times. I will add a straw to the dispenser tube to reduce this someday. I won't be without one when loading most rifle rounds though.

Banned
    I'm kinda surprised as most of you guys would walk across town to save a nickle yet you will blow your money on simething like that you could DIY yourself and have a better piece of equipment.

The unit in post #10 can be easily made by anyone that can read and follow a simple wiring diagram and save you several hundred dollars in the process.

You don’t even need to know how to read, I made a video of the wiring on one.

The “why” is the same reason people pay more dollars at a fast food drive through than they would if they bought a steak at the store and went home and cooked it to their liking, one is no work at all and does the job they want done.

Banned
    I'm a steak person. I'll buy a good steak for the same price someone else paid for french fries, burger, and a coke. In this case the cost of the materials and possibly one hour of their time was way less than the cost of a few items ordered off ebay.

Between the two of us we provide several different ways to wire it a cheap source of motors, power supplies, and sensors. I just don't understand how someone would consider a ready made product that really has some flaws and costs so much more.

I understand there is “a butt for every seat” though. I own a couple of the CM’s and eat fast food from time to time too, even if I can’t find a flaw in your assessment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm kinda surprised as most of you guys would walk across town to save a nickle yet you will blow your money on something like that you could DIY yourself and have a better piece of equipment.

The unit in post #10 can be easily made by anyone that can read and follow a simple wiring diagram and save you several hundred dollars in the process.
    I didn't buy the RCBS Chargemaster 1500. It was a Birthday gift from a shooting and reloading buddy.

He called it the most selfish gift ever, because he intended to get some use out of it as well when we load for rifles together... He said he was tired of watching me hand trickle out charges of poor metering stick rifle type powders, like IMR 4831. He liked using the one he got me so much, that he bought another one for his own use.

Previous to the Chargemaster, I got along just fine with a balance beam scale, and my hand operated powder trickle.

Except I used a RCBS 505 beam scale, and a RCBS older aluminum powder trickle.

When I first started reloading, I don't think the RCBS Chargemaster even existed. There was no internet yet, and I'd never seen anything like it in a magazine or reloading manaul, so I didn't think much about an automated electric powder trickle and scale combination.

Affordable reliable electronic scales weren't around, or were priced so high that they may just as well not have existed for me.

Eventually, I encountered one of the early Dillon D terminator electronic scales (at work of all places) that I was actually impressed with. It cost quite a bit when it first came out too. I didn't trust it at first, and still double checked and verified all my charges with a balance beam scale. It was many years before I purchased my first digital scale for my own use.

I seriously wanted to dislike the Chargemaster in the beginning. It used another electrical outlet, and it's somewhat largish foot print, took up precious room in my already small reloading area.

I was extremely comfortable with the method I'd previously been using, even though it was a little slower than the Chargemaster, it had worked just fine for years.

Turns out I ended up loving the Chargemaster, despite the extra room it took up. No more crunching stick powders in my Uniflow measure, or having to throw light charges and trickle up the rest by hand.

Whenever I'm ready for a powder charge for my next case, the Chargemaster always seems to have a full perfectly trickled out powder pan waiting for me. The rare times that it's over, are when I bump the pan into the nozzle by hand myself.

Sure it's lazy, but I really enjoy it now. If it ever broke, I would not hesitate now to pony up the cash for another one.

If you had asked me if I really needed one before using it, I would have called it extravagant and an unnecessary addition. I'd have likely bought reloading components, or another gun instead of the Chargemaster.

Now I can hardly remember what it was like loading large charges of stick powder (or other difficult to meter powders) without it.

I like that the Chargemaster is all self contained too, because I still use my 505 scale to verify charge weights, and I occasionally still use my hand powder trickle as well. Both are mounted above my reloading press on a dedicated shelf. I just use them much less often now, but they sure are convenient with that last little bit of powder that's left in a can.

I'm personally not very good with electronics, but with some struggle, maybe I could eventually manage to build something similar with an electric motor and an optical sensor, like our resident wizard jmorris assembled for less. Assuming of course I could source all the parts online or something.

But since the Chargemaster cost me nothing, I figure I'm already ahead of the game.

I've spent more money on lots of things that turned out to be much less useful.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

I bought one when my buddy took his away from my reloading room after about a year of getting very used to having it. Both matched my 5-0-5 scale every time. I agree that either a table isolated from the press bench or timing the bullet seating stroke is critical for good results. The time needed to throw the amount of powder I was using allowed me to seat the bullet while the CM was throwing the fast part of the next charge. I turn my air conditioner off while using it. The least little air current makes them unreliable.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have a chargemaster. I got one NIB on here for $200 shipped from a member.

For me, the intimidating part of the DIY system isn't the wiring, but mounting all of the stuff. Where do I get a powder measure stand with that handy little ramp on it? And I don't even own a powder measure. What holds the little motor in line with the trickler, where do I get one, and how is it attached to the trickler tube? Where do I get one of those nifty clear reservoirs to put on top of my custom trickler? (and where do I find a trickler like that?) Where do I get one of those adjustable stands to hold the photo switch unit and how do I attach the unit to the stand? How do I store all of this awkward looking setup when I'm done?

Those questions make someone like me love the out-of-the-box neatness of the Chargemaster system. Take it out, play with it, put it away when you're done.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I have a chargemaster. I got one NIB on here for $200 shipped from a member.

For me, the intimidating part of the DIY system isn't the wiring, but mounting all of the stuff. Where do I get a powder measure stand with that handy little ramp on it? And I don't even own a powder measure. What holds the little motor in line with the trickler, where do I get one, and how is it attached to the trickler tube? Where do I get one of those nifty clear reservoirs to put on top of my custom trickler? (and where do I find a trickler like that?) Where do I get one of those adjustable stands to hold the photo switch unit and how do I attach the unit to the stand? How do I store all of this awkward looking setup when I'm done?

Those questions make someone like me love the out-of-the-box neatness of the Chargemaster system. Take it out, play with it, put it away when you're done.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...owder-trickler

Check out the link and it may answer some of your questions.

The term DIY Do it Yourself means bluntly that some of the pieces you will make yourself. Both Jmorris and I put links to different parts to allow one to buy a power supply, buy the sensor and the trickler motor. Some of us aren't as lucky as jmorris to simply start up a mill and machine a part for example. Thus the DIY ...you get an idea and make it work using your own innovative ideas. Don't own a mill to make the powder chute..well a piece of plastic tubing heated and formed will work nicely. Making it fit on your RCBS powder trickler? Own a drimell tool/ a little grinding a slit here along with a clamp and it will work as well as the machined metal chute it just won't look as pretty. A trickler motor bracket? Got a piece of aluminum that you can drill several mounting holes in addition to a shaft hole? YYou can make your bracket. Got an extra piece of aluminum to mount the sensor to? I used some epoxy to mount my sensor to the piece of aluminum and then used a small c-clamp to attach the bracket to the scale for alignment so I could drill several mounting holes. Anything can be made..jmorris proves this to us every month or so as he keeps coming up with new ideas and ways of doing things. I suggest that you use your immagination and you can figure just about anything out.

The charge master is a good tool when properly used and used with caution. Any air movement can change the honesty of the unit. While nice to have and certainly a great gift I would have to think twice before buying one especially after DIYing the automatic powder trickler.The money that I saved went to purchasing several conversion kits for my 650 Dillon. While I spent about the same amount of money my mileage differed.

That’s where I was going with my fast food analogy. We know it’s not going to be as good but good enough, the convenience and fact that we don’t have to do anything except chew to not be hungry anymore, is what drives sales.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had mine for quite a few years. I use it to check the Dillon "throws" and do both rifle and pistol. Speed is not a concern but accuracy is for my reloads. If the charge is off a bit I just redo it. I do use loading blocks to hold all of the charged cases for a single stage press before seating bullets and don't worry about a slight delay between cases. The plastic Lyman funnel replaced the "metal pan and funnel" shortly after I got the CM. My CM has been very accurate from the get go, so if I had the space I would get another one.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.