Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Winchester LP primer problem

That was all I needed to know. Wanted to know what to watch for.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That was all I needed to know. Wanted to know what to watch for.

No sweat. There are lot numbers on some of the links in case you change your mind.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Master

In addition to primer cup dimensions, I suspect that cup hardness comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    In addition to primer cup dimensions, I suspect that cup hardness comes into play.
    Good thinking!
    That's what I like about this forum.........so much input & different points of view.
    Henry

Winchester/Olin responds

I left a voice mail message Friday (08/22) in the A.M. & attempted to follow up with an email through Olin's web site, but it would not go through.

On 08/23 A.M. through a different internal contact email (limited to 253 characters) I sent another message that apparently went through. The 253 characters did not allow a detailed explanation.

Later in the late PM of 08/23 through olinwinchesterinfo@olin.com I was able to get a detailed message sent & also was able to send the 08/22 message.

08/28: no response.

Today @ 11:30 AM (EST) I left another voice mail message.

At about 2:00 EST Haley from Olin called. She was very courteous & seems genuinely interested in our problem. She listened patiently throughout my entire explanation.

She's sending a shipping label & special container for the return of the 1,700 remaining primers from the 5,000 primer sleeve. Winchester will examine them to find out the problem. She also said they'd reimburse me for the primers. I explained that in all honesty the majority of the forum members were well satisfied with their primers. I also explained that even those experiencing problems now, had never had problems in the past. It seems that the recent purchases are giving the problem

She says the entire process may take a while.

She knows that I'll share the findings with the forum.

If any forum member wants to furnish lot# (or contact info) on any of their primers, I'll send that info with the primers I'm returning.

I'll document when mail label/shipping carton is received & shipped.

Henry

Boolit Master
    Although I have not yet run into any issues with the Win. primers I have been using & have yet to use in unopened boxes, I would like to thank you for your efforts to help everyone here & your keeping folks informed as things go along.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    I left a voice mail message Friday (08/22) in the A.M. & attempted to follow up with an email through Olin's web site, but it would not go through.

On 08/23 A.M. through a different internal contact email (limited to 253 characters) I sent another message that apparently went through. The 253 characters did not allow a detailed explanation.

Later in the late PM of 08/23 through olinwinchesterinfo@olin.com I was able to get a detailed message sent & also was able to send the 08/22 message.

08/28: no response.

Today @ 11:30 AM (EST) I left another voice mail message.

At about 2:00 EST Haley from Olin called. She was very courteous & seems genuinely interested in our problem. She listened patiently throughout my entire explanation.

She's sending a shipping label & special container for the return of the 1,700 remaining primers from the 5,000 primer sleeve. Winchester will examine them to find out the problem. She also said they'd reimburse me for the primers. I explained that in all honesty the majority of the forum members were well satisfied with their primers. I also explained that even those experiencing problems now, had never had problems in the past. It seems that the recent purchases are giving the problem

She says the entire process may take a while.

She knows that I'll share the findings with the forum.

If any forum member wants to furnish lot# (or contact info) on any of their primers, I'll send that info with the primers I'm returning.

I'll document when mail label/shipping carton is received & shipped.

Henry
    Henry,

Thanks for all the work you've put in. Winchester has reimbursed many reloaders for the bad WLR primers and made repairs on scarred bolts which were affected by them. I believe they will get this problem squared away too.

Thanks again, Walt

Boolit Buddy
    New production update. I received my 30,000 count Winchester primer order today. All are bright in color, not that tarnished look that the troublesome WLPs had.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    New production update. I received my 30,000 count Winchester primer order today. All are bright in color, not that tarnished look that the troublesome WLPs had.
    Good news!
    Let us know how they seat.
    Henry

Boolit Buddy
    Good news!
    Let us know how they seat.
    Henry
    I'll let you know Henry. I'm going to the NHRA Nationals though so it may be next week before I do.
    Walt

I'll let you know Henry. I'm going to the NHRA Nationals though so it may be next week before I do.
    Walt
    Have fun @ the NHRA Nationals. I'm not into drag racing (I'm into MX & Hare Scrambles), but last year I was near Ocalla, FL & my motorcycle riding buddy and I stopped by The Don Garlit's Museum & spent the better part of a day there. It was time well spent. Us "gear heads" are basically all the same.

Henry

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    A real sport involves either gun powder or gasoline..........anything else is just a game

Boolit Buddy

I have used several thousand Win. primers that fit the description here, and have had no issues as yet. FWIW
    John

Boolit Master
    Same here, I have used thousands of WSPM & WLP that are dark colored with out any problems, if I have a problem seating primer it is because the pocket needed swaged.

I use alot of WLP and no problems and also some WLR also and dark ones also beside WSP . If there is a problem it is because like just stated the pocket needed work I use a reamer. That take care of the problem.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I have been using WLP primers for some time in my 45ACP loads using the discolored primers. They all go bang so far. That said, they are significantly more difficult to seat than other brands. The CCI and Federal primers I have used, seat MUCH easier than the Winchester primers. If I were using a hand priming tool, I would be having difficulty getting them to seat.
    Since the other brands of primers seat easily, I don't believe it is a brass problem. The difficulty only occurs with the Winchester primers.
    I guess it depends on what you define as a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I just ran 100 of my new batch of "bright and shiny" WLPs through a 550. I was loading 200 grain #68 style LSWCs using Winchester 45 Auto brass. I'm happy to say that they seated smoothly and bottomed nicely.

Excellent.
    Good to know this issue won't continue.

I just ran 100 of my new batch of "bright and shiny" WLPs through a 550. I was loading 200 grain #68 style LSWCs using Winchester 45 Auto brass. I'm happy to say that they seated smoothly and bottomed nicely.
    Walt,
    Glad to hear it.
    I'll be looking for some "bright & shiny" WLPs.
    Henry

Boolit Buddy
    Have fun @ the NHRA Nationals. I'm not into drag racing (I'm into MX & Hare Scrambles), but last year I was near Ocalla, FL & my motorcycle riding buddy and I stopped by The Don Garlit's Museum & spent the better part of a day there. It was time well spent. Us "gear heads" are basically all the same.

Henry

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    A real sport involves either gun powder or gasoline..........anything else is just a game
    I'm very lucky to have a good friend that builds Super Stock Hemi racing engines and runs a Super Stock 1964 Plymouth Savoy, a real classic! He hosts my daughters and I when he runs. It's a real treat to hang out in the Sportsman Pit Area. The icing on the cake is his BBQ, he's quite a cook too!

Banned

I had a strange problem with ww large pistol this summer. I was shooting my glock 20 and 29 about daily. Loaded a pile of ammo with ww primers and had about one in 10 that didn't go off on first strike. Reset the firing pin and most went off the second time. Now both of those guns do have wolf spring kits. I shot it up and loaded some with ccis and federals. the feds as expected went off every time. I was really curious what the ccis would do because I was allways under the impression they had harder cups then ww. I shot probably a bit more then 500 of them between the two guns and never had one misfire. Just to satisfy my curiosity I loaded up some more with ww out of a different lot and again had the misfires. Havent got around to seeing how they act in my other guns yet and with back surgery this week probably wont get a chance this summer. Just thought id throw it out there though because it was some pretty odd results.