Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester 94 Trails End Takedown***info wanted***

Boolit Master

Winchester 94 Trails End Takedown***info wanted***

I haven't bought a rifle for several years now and I guess I got the itch. Recently I've been interested in the Winny takedown 94 made in Japan. They call it the Trails End. Seems like that is what they called my little 94 in 44 mag I bought in the 90s? Anyway, Trails End is the takedown version now. They offer it in 30/30, 38/55, and 450 Marlin.

Anyone have any real world advice or knowledge of this gun?

I've heard they are a real nice quality piece. I have several old 94s, I realize I could go and buy a pre WW2 94 for less.

I have been looking at the 38-55. What boolits are you using in them? Is the 15" twist alright? I only have experience with older rifles with 18" twist.

My eyes have gotten real bad in the last five years or so, I'd have to mount a low power scope. Does the mount affect takedown?

I'd appreciate your help or dropping by to offer your thinking.

I am also probably going to buy a BLR in the takedown model too. Just because. I will post another thread on that one maybe.

Take care.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

I have a Trails End Win. 94 made in Japan, but it is not a take down. It looks very much like a standard carbine. Mine is in .44-40. A very nice piece of equipment, smooth operating, and accurate. It does have the rebounding hammer, but that's an easy fix if you don't like it. Mine was purchased about 2005, and disassembles exactly like most '94s. Other than the take down feature, I suspect that yours will be mechanically the same. It is an angle eject and came drilled and tapped.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some time ago, there was an article on how to machine the standard Mod 94 to make it a take down. Above my pay grade, to be sure, but after reading the article, it didn't seem like black magic or voodoo was involved. Perhaps the more knowledgeable will chime in.

Boolit Master
    I'm looking on Winchesters website and it looks like I'm wrong. There is a Trails End 94 no takedown and a Trails takedown.

Do the new production guns have a rebounding hammer?

I see they are making the 1866 again starting this year.

As noted above, new Winchester Model 94 rifles do have a rebounding hammer. Personally, I like this feature. Also, while I see no need for it, the tang-mounted safety is not very noticeable.

Boolit Master
    Does anyone know if you can take the gun down while a scope is installed?

I would expect the forend would hit the scope on the way around. I have a 1905 made 94 in 38-55 and anything out past the action would not clear the wood as it's turned off. what do you mean SCOPE on a lever gun.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    I have the 450 Marlin I will go take it down and see how much turn you need and answer your question.

Boolit Master
    You will be able to run a 30mm optic on the gun so long as it does not have a huge bell on it. The fore arm only comes slightly under 90 degrees and the barrel releases. The mag tube takes 8 turns and turn the barrel to left and wella. I will absolutely tell you I am very pleased with the Winchester take down in 450 Marlin the work is exquisite and the accuracy is fantastic.