RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder/primer rule of thumb

Boolit Master

powder/primer rule of thumb

little worried with this whole north Korea thing and the way its escalating so want to stock up on powder and primers but don't want to be overly heavy on one so is there a rule of thumb as to how much powder per primer, like say one pound of powder is good for one brick of primers.

I know the larger rifles will take more powder and the smaller pistols will take less so don't over confuse this. I know you could spend all day calculating loads and get it down to a science but all I want is generalizations. maybe split it into 2 categories, rifle and pistol.

really don't want to have to make a spread sheet and get super precise and different powders meter differently so a fellow could spend days and still be off-base if he changes up the powder.

just figured some of you diehard reloaders might have a general rule of thumb when you are stocking up for the long haul.

Boolit Master
    Nope, it truely depends on the powder to round application.

Boolit Buddy
    As you suspect there will be a huge spread depending in the load. Even with handguns, you can have a 38 special load below 3 grains to a 44 mag load over 20. But at an average pistol load of 5 grains, that will be 1400 rounds per pound of powder. With an average load in a rifle round like a 223, that will be about 250 rounds per pound of powder, and it would quickly fall to around 100 rounds with monster cases like the big magnums. So a very large range, depends a lot on what you load.

Boolit Buddy
    No rule of thumb I know of.
    Last edited by GrayTech; 08-03-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Particularly good advice on a forum regularly indexed by web crawlers. Of all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTech View Post
    No rule of thumb I know of. Guess you can't go wrong with the legal limit.

Banned
    write down:
    the calibers you want to load for
    choose an accurate powder (that give you the most loads per pound) and write down loads per pound for each powder
    or most efficient/versatile powder and write down loads per pound for each powder

figure how many rounds you want to possibly load for each caliber

then do the math

Boolit Master

guess you missed the not into heavy math with many variables part of my post

I get that you can do the math for a single caliber with a certain powder but what I was wondering was there a EASY way to make a swag correlation for stocking up

Super Moderator

Here's the EASY way right here, "buy it cheap and stack it deep". I got prepared for the distinct possibility of Hillery getting elected, so I'm good for quite a while. Eight pounders of my favorite powders, and cases and cases of primers. Can't ever have too much right?

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

If you're worried about stocking up then just pick the 2,3 or 4 calibers you shoot the most and figure it out for them. Not many plink with 458's 375's etc. so don't worry about them so much. So pick the few you intend to shoot a lot. I've been really narrowing down the powders I use to as few as possible which allows you to cover most anything you shoot. Two that come to mind are Unique and IMR 4895. With those two powders you can load a suitable load for a huge number of calibers. I don't think there is going to be a big run on components again despite the North Koreans.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Here's the EASY way right here, "buy it cheap and stack it deep". I got prepared for the distinct possibility of Hillery getting elected, so I'm good for quite a while. Eight pounders of my favorite powders, and cases and cases of primers. Can't ever have too much right?
    A Big Plus ONE!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    There is no EASY or SHORT CUTS in life. If you have certain calibers that you feel you MUST be able to load and shoot - then do some simple math and figure it out. A pound of powder contains 7,000 grains. Pick a powder that you use and is available and divide your average load in to the 7,000 grains. Take Bulls Eye for example. Use the average load of 3.5 grains (for most loads - you may load lighter but for simplicity sake, use the3.5 grains). 3.5 divided in to 7,000 grains is going to give you 2,000 loads (if you don't spill any). So for every pound of BE buy two bricks of primers.

If you don't want to take the time to figure it out - then I guess buy what you think - but chances are, you're going to run out of primers before you run out of powder OR, you're going to run out of power before you run out of primers . . . . but that's just figuring it out the "easy" way.

No offense intended - it's just that everybody's situation is different depending on what they have gunwise, caliber wise and what they're loads are . . . . but just remember that it takes more than primer and powder to make cartridges/shells - don't forget to lay in a good load of brass and lead too. And if everyone looks ahead and starts hoarding early, then maybe the shortage of supplies can be expedited? LOL

Boolit Master
    If math isn't your strong suit...

This is a nice chart, that you can print out on Darkcanyon.net

http://www.darkcanyon.net/loadsperpound.html

In this style of format.

Number Of Loads Per Pound Based On Powder Charge (in grains)

Charge - Loads/Lb

1.0 grains - 7000
    1.5 grains - 4666
    2.0 grains - 3500
    2.5 grains - 2800
    3.0 grains - 2300
    3.5 grains - 2000
    4.0 grains - 1750
    4.5 grains - 1555
    5.0 grains - 1400
    5.5 grains - 1272
    6.0 grains - 1166
    6.5 grains - 1076
    7.0 grains - 1000
    7.5 grains - 933
    8.0 grains - 875
    8.5 grains - 823
    9.0 grains - 777
    9.5 grains - 736

And so on.
    Assuming no spillage of course.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master
    Just buy a little here and there and slowly build a good supply. Buy it cheep and stack it deep.....there is a thing as too much....it includes a box truck if u have to move it all lol

Boolit Master

good rule of thumb is #1000 of powder, and 100,000 primers. that should keep ya going for a while. LOL

Boolit Grand Master

So North Korea is gonna be the catalyst for the next run on reloading items.......great.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    So North Korea is gonna be the catalyst for the next run on reloading items.......great.
    Due to the extreme number of artillery North Korea has on the DMZ and nukes if it does happen it will not be a protracted shooting war.

Boolit Master

someone could sneeze wrong and we will have another panic and ensuing run on guns, ammo, and reloading supplies.

Banned

I figure 200grs per bullet.
    50grs per rifle...jacketed.
    18grs per rifle... cast.
    the same 18grs..... revolver [a bit high but good for my guns] jacketed
    and then for the light stuff and Pistols 4.5 grs per is a good medium between 9mm and 45 acp/38 type rounds.

if you shoot shot guns then you know what those take.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    good rule of thumb is #1000 of powder, and 100,000 primers. that should keep ya going for a while. LOL
    well at least you understood what I was getting at

Boolit Master

I don't know if the whole korea thing will be a issue or a non-issue, just don't want to get cought like after sandy hook, and for once have a little money to invest in powder and primers, figure now is as good as time as ever to stock it deep as you guys like to say and I have ideal storage conditions so it will outlast me. I was good a long time ago on brass and lead.