RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too many presses! Some thoughts needed

Boolit Grand Master
    I would feel deprived if I only had three presses.

I like what Johnny did and there are commercial set ups that do the same thing.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    I have two Redding T7 presses that I use primarily but I also have a couple of other presses that I use for odds and ends. It all depends on what kind of volume you are doing but if it were me, I would look into some type of fabricated plate mounting system to swap them quickly. There are some very nice setups if you look around that folks have put together.

I agree though, a bigger bench!

Boolit Master
    I am hoping that some day all of the press manufacturers standardize on one mounting bolt pattern so we can swap all of our presses out with the same 2, 3 or 4 bolts. But of course that doesn't help with the collection of antique presses so many of us have. There was a hint to this pattern in single stage and progressive shotshell presses I have both from the 1960's that Pacific made. And I use both of them since they are so easy to swap. But none of my brass cartridge reloading presses will swap on the same bolt holes. So I tend to leave two of them mounted on the bench. Unfortunately too close together without bumping into them when I am using the next one over. 10" apart is too close. I like that slide in plate one of our members displayed earlier. Very well made and gives me some ideas. but I would have to completely rebuild my reloading bench to make that happen.

Boolit Master
    I put 5 shot shell loaders in a upstairs closest , when my wife mentioned I have to much reloading stuff I mentioned all her clothes in the extra bedroom closet . So now it's ok . I say keep them all if possible

I mount all of my presses and lube/sizers on a 1" oak plate and have a spot drilled on my bench top to bolt down the oak plate. Quick to change and didn't cost me much. Unused presses are on a shelf with a c clamp to hold them down. YMMV
    NRA Benefactor Member

What heresy is this, we need to burn anothernewb at the steak for mentioning the mere possibility of having to many presses. Sheish they make more wood build bigger benches! What if my wife reads this nonsense!

Let's see I'll admit to owning
    Versamec 700 in 12 ga
    Mec 600 jr in 20 gause
    Mec 600 jr in 28 gauge
    Lee Pro 1000
    Lee Breech Lock Challenger
    Lee Reloader

Don't look at the boxes in the garage as there may be another...
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

You can sell anyone you want, if your like me, it might be a few days before you need it and wish you hadn't.

I too had a limited amount of room after out last move so I built a bench to fit what I had and drilled and tapped the top. So I have what I can already mounted and others below. When I need a press that's not already mounted it's 2, 3 or 4 bolts out with a cordless impact and back in to change from one to another.

Boolit Master
    my only suggestion is probably a little inconvienient but you could send it to me ( I got lots of room on the bench) and drop by to use the spare have a coffee swap, fishin tales, load a few rounds have a road trip to boot and it wouldn't be a bad thing. Just an idea

Boolit Buddy
    I'm press deprived. I only have 2. I'm pathetic.

There is time...
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Buddy
    I have 4. LCT,LCC single,Lee precision reloader, and a loadmaster. I just retired the loadmaster because I just don't need the volume anymore so into the foot locker it goes. The little, beat to hell and back precision reloader single was my very first single stage press. Can't bring myself to get rid of it so.... its in the foot locker with the loadmaster. I haven't really been using the LCC single even after putting the LNL bushing conversion on it. Tried to sell it once with 20 bushings and no one bit so I think it might go into the foot locker as well. Which leaves me with the LCT. You can pry that press from my cold dead hands. I love that thing. I might even consider moving all my rifle stuff to it and retire the LCC single. I sold 1 lee turret press YEARS ago and have regretted it ever since. I guess that is why I can't bring myself to get rid of any of my old presses even though I don't use them anymore. There is always that possibility that one day I MIGHT bolt it down to the bench and use it for something.
    Quickshot

Earlier this year I downsized when as a result of retirement and the necessary belt tightening I sold my place and move into a more appropriate and economical sized home. As a result I had to downsize from 5 benches and 5 bench mounted presses to 3 benches and just kept the CO-AX and the 550. (One of the benches was just for gun cleaning,maintenance and smithing/building projects. It was a difficult decision as each press had it merit and the project bench could not be sacrificed as I was and still am putting together an 1803 Harpers Ferry flintlock Pecatoncia River kit. The reason behind the presses I kept was easy for me and they are the best presses I'd ever use in 50 years of reloading. The loss of one of the other SS press was off set by getting the singlestage adapter for the 550. That was necessary because push thru sizers are limited by the CO-AX design. Do I miss the now gone presses? Yep but I have a workable habitat and now forces me to keep it clean and organized.

After all the decisions to downsize I somehow I just last week found space for a MEC Sizemaster.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Getting rid of the press isn't the answer and storing a press is only part of the answer . Get enough empty cases so you can have a three or four year supply of ammo for what you shoot . I've found it much easier to store ammo cans in small areas and have presses not being used clamped to a shelf somewhere .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    keep them all an get a bigger bench.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Agreed.

I started with a single Lee C press, added a hand press for range trips. added a rcbs rock chucker for rifle / tall / hard to size cases, added another lee C press as a dedicated decap station, added a lee 4 hole turret to speed up pistol reloading, added another lee C press for dedicated cast boolit sizing, added an old lyman turret because it came with a rifle I bought at a show.

Keep adding more bench space. All the desks in my reload room have a press on them almost.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have a bench space problem Pat Marlin's RockDock might be of help, he's a member.
    Or my old school solution is some big "C" clamps...I mount the press , use it and remove it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    You could get a free standing platform for the SDB