WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data

Thread: Wz29 Mauser inaccurate

Wz29 Mauser inaccurate

I have several mausers in 8 mm and they all shoot the loverin 165gr 8mm bullet fine with 2400 powder. The exception is this wz29 that my uncle gave me that belonged to my late father. Anyway it's has good rifling but kind of rough and dark at the bottom of the grooves. It slugs out at .324 and I am shooting the same .326 bullets as my other rifles. At 100 yards this thing is shooting a 9" group. I think I have done all I can do, just kind of frustrating. My other 8x57 mausers can stack them up under 4" at 100 yards.

I have several as well, my 98/22 mauser wouldn't shoot anything well. I tried a lot of powder combos, then I tried 3031. That was the ticket. Not saying it will work in your rifle. 4198 is good in the 8mm to.

Forgot to mention the boolit. Noe 326471

How does it shoot with jacketed(as a baseline)?

Boolit Buddy
    Have a very close look at the muzzle.There can be many things going on there that will do that,unfortunately most of them can be only solved by counterboring and I don't think you would like to do that.

Super Moderator

...............Have you taken a look as to how the stock and the barreled action mate up? Lottsa stuff can happen if not correct, even with much more modern rifles.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

It took a little work to get my crusty bore K98 to shoot well.
    I had to re crown it.
    The biggest gain in consistent groups was making sure the stock fit well and the action screw tension. I'm at 35inlbs front and rear.
    I run the front screw down to about 20inlb look to see if the action settles in nice a straight or if it tilts. Then I start tightening the rear. When I tightened the rear the barrel would rise up.
    So I put a little bedding compound on the rear tang area. Gun went from min of berm to minute of black of a SR1.

And make sure the rear guard screw spacer is present.

Boolit Master
    i was also able to get some improvment going over mine....
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ussian-capture

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I had a Yugoslavian SKS that wouldn't shoot for sour apples.......looked more like shotgun patterns. I removed and stripped the action, then counterbored the muzzle. So accurate now it's scary, so that last "milli inch" of barrel is all important!