MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Molds v Sharpshooter Buckshot molds

Banned

"At "hallway distances" none of the pattern enhancing advances in buckshot ammunition, at least since the introduction of the pin-fire breech loader of the mid-19th century, make any meaningful difference."

So true

Boolit Buddy
    Sharpshooter molds arent being made now and havent since the beging of the year. I ordered one about 2 weeks ago and got a refund a week later. He told me he cant update his website and might take it down. But didnt say he was going out of bissiness.

Boolit Master
    Bubba Rountree, who used the Sharpshooter molds a lot in his Youtube videos passed along this info a couple of months ago https://youtu.be/VJxwWTqlOr8.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Grand Master

That's a shame. I was just looking into casting buckshot, and decided on the Sharpshooter mold. I wanted to cast #2 and #F buck. I guess I'll either have to go to 00 or buy shot at $40 for 8 pounds

Boolit Master
    Don't cut the sprue off. Twist it off. That way there will not be a little sharp 'tail'. I learned that 40+ years ago casting fishing lures.

I got a sharpshooter mold. I was having trouble cutting the sprue off, leaving that "tail" behind.

Wade Rush, the guy who does the Bubba Roundtree YouTube vids as posted earlier, is a good friend of mine.

I asked him what he suggests and he said to buy a pair of flush cutting dikes.

Found some a Walmart and they helped tremendously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the machinist making the sharpshooter molds found a different job so until the position is filled no more molds. I too had my eye on a couple of his molds so I'm hoping he will be able to find a machinist and start cranking more out. I guess I'll order a 6 cavity .31 round ball mold and use it to cast some #1 buck. I'm low volume shotgun use but like being able to turn my lead stash into ammo for everything I can load for.

As a side note anyone ever looked into those $85 shot drippers on ebay? Wonder how large of shot one can drip?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Sorry to hear Richard lost his machinist. I much prefer my Sharpshooter USA buckshot moulds to the LEE.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting."
    - Colonel Townsend Whelen

I have 3 of the Sharpshooter molds and would liked to have had one or 2 more.

Of them all the worst is the 00/#4 combo mold. That pig just does not like to work.
    If I use the hot plate to preheat I can eventually get usable buckshot out of it.

The #1 buck mold is of the opposite persuasion. That little girl lives to make shot.
    Hardly pre-warm it at all and by the 2nd pour it is making full balls.

I have been shooting my 3rd mold in my Hatsan Striker .22 air rifle all week.
    Cast 80 balls one afternoon, 5 minutes worth. Clipped and gave them a light coat of BLL. Once dried put them in a small dispenser and every afternoon I would go down and shoot 5 to break in the rifle. Groups are improving every week.

My last target was of 4 black birds in profile with a white center of mass bullseye.

Out of 20 shots 18 would have been one shot instant kills. 2 would have still done it but were out of brainbox/spinal cord.

To know that at need I can make an near endless supply of .22 round balls to feed my air rifle which means I can feed me. With a system that only requires a little muscle, no other powder, primer, nothing else required that I don't have in hand.

Well it is a good feeling. Sleep good at night.

I hope sharpshooter finds a good machinist. I miss his molds.

The Sharpshooter mold works well. I run it HOT, wear welding gloves, and drop the finished shot into a coffee can full of water. When I've emptied the pot, I clip the sprues off with a sharp pair of small flush cutters. Here is one that works well:

https://www.amazon.com/PLATO-170-SHE...dp/B000AS3BLM/

Put the finished balls in a tumbler (a vibrating unit works just fine) with some graphite. In an hour, they will be perfectly round and lubricated. The drop tube/wad seater on your shell loader can be used to seat groups of 3 #OO pellets if they won't stack by hand.

Arclight

I noticed that with the sharpshooter 00/#4 mold, not only does the mold have to be hot, but so does the lead. I run the lead hotter than normal. I usually get about 90% fillout.

I bought my flush cutters in the hobby section of Walmart for $4/pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a bunch of buckshot molds of all sizes for a group-buy years ago. The molds were filled from center stems with the cavities arranged as close as possible Did quite a bit of testing before starting on the final molds and the best results were had when running both lead and molds very hot. Using WW alloy I got better fill-out than with pure lead and the balls would snap from the inlet by a slight twist.

Cap'n Morgan

Nice looking mold Cap'n Morgan

I like my lee 00 mold, even ladle pouring i got complete fillout w/coww. I wish lee would make a 18 cavity mold in the .31. Stacking them by two's is no big deal really, its just bashing ammo anyway.

Banned

^^^Then get in line for this group buy
    Don't miss the boat
    MP molds (MiHec) 8 cav. aluminum .310 diam round ball / buck shot mold
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...buck-shot-mold

Just jumped in the Group buy. Hope he cuts them soon.