RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wasted Powder, 3F vs 2F

Boolit Master
    I use CCI #11 mag caps on my 45. But being a small bore rifle anything bigger than a #11 in primer would probably give me hammer jump. But the 54 & 58 such a nipple backfiring is less likely do to the different breech pressures I'm speculating?
    BTW Minn doesn't have such tight B/P hunting restrictions Idaho has in place Five Four Bore. Only restriction that bothers many here. No scope use for Big Game Animals by those under the age of 65. Older geezers get to use em which is OK with me. Those who have been buying hunting licenses for 50 years straight deserve such breaks occasionally.

Never hurts to experiment a little. Musket caps & nipple. Its only a 15 dollar investment BUT ~~~may garner a smile "Right from the get go."

Boolit Buddy
    I don't really buy the fire over snow or a sheet test. There is a lot of waste left behind from burned black powder. I think half of the volume of a load is burned waste after firing as burned charcoal, salt peter, and sulphur. You're always going to have black particles of burned waste blown out the barrel, therefor no matter what load you use you'll have specks on snow or a sheet. I could be wrong but I've read this somewhere.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    I don't really buy the fire over snow or a sheet test. There is a lot of waste left behind from burned black powder. I think half of the volume of a load is burned waste after firing as burned charcoal, salt peter, and sulphur. You're always going to have black particles of burned waste blown out the barrel, therefor no matter what load you use you'll have specks on snow or a sheet. I could be wrong but I've read this somewhere.
    I recently shot 80 Grains of Swiss 2F out of my TC Scout Pistol, i believe they call it a 10" bbl? We could NOT find a flake or speck on the ground anywhere? I was shooting over a solid white blanket of snow, This day i shot a Sabot jacket with a 180 grain hornady XTP pistol bullet, i found the jacket, but ZERO unburned powder. After my Dad shot, it looked like you walked in a straight line for 20-30 yards sprinkling a pepper shaker, I definitely believe there is something to it! Swiss 2F is HOT powder, everyone i have talked to about it claims it to be equivalent to Goex 3F or really close to it

Boolit Master
    I'd be willing to bet it is hotter still. Most other powders are quite weak in comparison.

Boolit Master
    How well does your dad's 54 group with the 100 gr. load?

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    How well does your dad's 54 group with the 100 gr. load?
    It shoots REALLY good! My Dad is a REALLY good open sight shooter! So it doesnt matter that its not burning all the powder, this is more of a curiosity thing to me

Boolit Master
    i am curious too. you saw the group i shot with 90 gr. now i want to try going in both directions. i can see the logic of the black particles in the snow. we don't get much snow here, and i cant handle the cold real well. hands cramp up. every time i read one of your threads, i say dang it, i gotta try that.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    i am curious too. you saw the group i shot with 90 gr. now i want to try going in both directions. i can see the logic of the black particles in the snow. we don't get much snow here, and i cant handle the cold real well. hands cramp up. every time i read one of your threads, i say dang it, i gotta try that.
    The bullet he has shot the best is the Maxi Ball that you and i both have, the one with the rounded lube grooves. That bullet shoots AMAZING out of his rifle! From this Mold
    Attachment 188788
    Last edited by 54bore; 02-23-2017 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Added to

Perma-Banned
    The Sizing and Paper Patching of that Maxi Ball is an Experiment, MAN do they load nice after a trip through my .539 Sizing die!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    I'd be willing to bet it is hotter still. Most other powders are quite weak in comparison.
    I agree rodwha, For anyone that has not tried it all i can say is this Swiss stuff is very noticeably hotter powder! I showed Idahoron the granule size of this Swiss 2F when he was here on his whitetail hunt, i remember his words well 'that is some fine 2F!'

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    I recently shot 80 Grains of Swiss 2F out of my TC Scout Pistol, i believe they call it a 10" bbl? We could NOT find a flake or speck on the ground anywhere? I was shooting over a solid white blanket of snow, This day i shot a Sabot jacket with a 180 grain hornady XTP pistol bullet, i found the jacket, but ZERO unburned powder. After my Dad shot, it looked like you walked in a straight line for 20-30 yards sprinkling a pepper shaker, I definitely believe there is something to it! Swiss 2F is HOT powder, everyone i have talked to about it claims it to be equivalent to Goex 3F or really close to it
    There may very well be something to it. I've never tried it. It makes sense i guess. You take an inefficient propellant like black powder (by modern standards) and it stands to reason that as charges increase some of it wont be burned after a certain point.