WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a "Bucks County" .40 rifle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    rfd, i am 99.99% sure we are related, A jack garner .36 would be LOVELY!!! LOL
    ......and I'll wager that you are getting ready to graduate from somewhere too!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    Funny I live in Bucks County Pa.
    Got my attention too, I'd never heard of them until I saw this thread.
    Beautiful rifle, rfd!
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A beautiful rifle RFD! I look forward to a shooting video! That's one I wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers!

Was that a TOW kit? I'm building g up my slush fund to build a bucks county kit with extra fancy stock.

Is that silver inlay as well?

Moderator Emeritus

That is truly one beautiful gun! Thanks for showing it to us. IMO, they've never made a rifle with more pleasing lines or more grace, than those old muzzleloaders. A little engraving on a few parts and it'd be a real work of true art. I like my wood finished a little darker, but if it was mine, I don't think I'd touch anything on it, except for the engraving, probably, and that would probably be a back-burner project that likely would never get done. I sat in the Smithsonian for a full half a day or more, just communing with the old ML's they had on display. As much as I wanted to see the aviation, aerospace, and prehistoric skeletons, I just couldn't leave those old original guns. They just "spoke" to me, and I marveled at how precise the workmanship was, despite the primitive tools many were made with. I'll always be in awe of those old 'smiths, and what they did, with so little to work with.

Banned

i've only had a few other "art" guns besides this .40 rifle. jack garner .36 and tip curtis .45 rifles.

jack garner (TVM) .36 southern rifle ...

i got the tip in-the-white and did the finish on it. should never have sold those two guns, but ya know how it goes sometimes?

Perma-Banned
    Those are some REALLY REALLY nice looking rifles rfd!!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	188523
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1483107_682687941771505_788241128_n.jpg  
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    What a beautiful piece of wood. That grain pattern is called quilt and is caused by wind stress to the tree over many, many years. Putting a finish on it is tough since the wood absorbes finishes at different rates and "fuzzes up". That type of maple is much sought after and an untouched unsawed log with no overgrown bark suitable for peeling will bring one dollar a pound for shipping to Europe (I sold one once like that). A "blond stock" of that grain pattern has a 3-dimensional shimmering shine.

Banned

oh well, this didn't last long. this was to be a surprise for the grandson, but it was me that got surprised to hear from his dad he's far more into half stock flinters. oh. hmm. ok, time for big game plan change ...

Boolit Buddy
    Oh well, look at it this way. Now you get to keep that other great looking rifle!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BPJONES View Post
    Oh well, look at it this way. Now you get to keep that other great looking rifle!
    oh well, it was an impulse buy that i thought he would like, and he probably would have graciously accepted it, but he's as good a grandson and son as they come, exceptional at school, and i want to get him what he wants. this rifle will get sold.

Boolit Buddy
    You know, if you are in no hurry to sell, maybe when the time comes give him his choice. He might surprise you once he sees the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    oh well, this didn't last long. this was to be a surprise for the grandson, but it was me that got surprised to hear from his dad he's far more into half stock flinters. oh. hmm. ok, time for big game plan change ...

FYI, that Bucks County rifle is beautiful! However, I'm in the same league as your grandson-give me a Hawken any day! So glad to see a grandparent that wants to give their grandchildren a gift the grandchild would like. Mine gave me what they wanted me to have. Good job on paying attention! Now go finish that rifle LOL!

Some nice rifles just posted here. I have two really nice ones to share when time allows to get them out and take the pics. One made by my dad and the other was made for my dad by Ron Ehlert. They were long time good friends and worked together until retiring and moved to Tn.
    http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.c...on-ehlert.html