Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rossi 92 45colt

Boolit Grand Master
    My core point in this subject is that my RCBS tungsten-carbide sizing die GROSSLY undersized my 45 Colt brass--to .469" OD. I then use a .451" expander spud to accommodate .454" bullets, and the resulting loaded cases 1) looked like Coke bottles and 2) lasted about 5-6 firings before getting lengthwise fissures. Since I began using the steel RCBS sizer die, my brass is holding up a LOT better, and accuracy has improved--no more fliers. The tapered case produced by the sizer die works better. If the gunmakers are going to cut chambers with generous dimensioning--to include tapered chamber profiles--then we as ammo crafters need to hew to the poetry sent our way by the factories.

44 Magnum--a straight case in SAAMI cartridge and chamber specs--has similar complications when a RCBS T/C sizer gets used. Coke-bottle effect, again. No mas--I went to a steel sizer for this caliber as well, and no more Coke-bottling or over-working of brass.

Nicely enough--my 1979-made RCBS T/C 38/357 sizer die produces an on-spec .379" case diameter, and none of the Coke-bottling when bullets get seated.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    nope.
    just stuck some 452 boolits in it and shot it.
    Slug the bore and I bet you find your '92 needs .454 diameter bullets not .452.

ukrifleman

Boolit Buddy
    The chamber on my Rossi is oversize, the fired cases are bulged at the rear. I only size half the case for the Rossi, they will not fit the Rugers.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I use a universal decapping die and a gutted 45 ACP FCD for a sizer for my Colts and Raptor now because of the gross over sizing of all of the FL dies . With the internals out the FDC can be used for just a neck ,FL or a bulge buster . Anyway this is working out for me in the Rossi Colts and the Raptor .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    nope.
    just stuck some 452 boolits in it and shot it.

Do I detect a wee hint of sarcasm in our MODx2 voice?

Boolit Grand Master
    An add-on to the steel-die info for 45 Colt......that die produces a case mouth diameter of .477", and near the base the sized brass is .479". Expand with the .451" or .452" spud, seat a .454" bullet, and the assembly measures .480". SAAMI spec.

Fired brass that used slightly-warmed loadings (250 grain-class bullets at 1000 FPS) are .483" at the case mouth and a "fat" .486". Not earth-shattering "taper", but it's there in fired brass--and as folks have described above, there are a variety of methods to go about brass management in this caliber. My method has greatly extended usable case life and gave a small uptick in accuracy. I should add that I own no 45 Colt rifles and have zero hands-on firing experience with them.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Great thread since I'm on the front end of loading for 45 Colt in a Rossi. Here are the measurements I got for Starline brass.

New: Just above rim: 476 midline: 474 rim: 470
    Fired: Just above rim: 479 midline: 479 rim: 475
    Sized: Just above rim: 475 midline: 470 rim: 469 using Lee die

Please explain to me what a steel die does differently than a carbide die?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banner Sponsor

The Carbide die has a "Carbide" ring inserted into the die body almost at the base of the die. This is slightly smaller than the rest of the die. The case gets sized all the way through that ring so it is all the same size top to bottom. One note is that the carbide dies don't size all the way too the base. They stop just short of the base.
    A steel die has the profile of the case cut into it. You lube your case and run it all the way in and your brass turns out to the size and shape of the die. I'm sure the brass will spring back just slightly, but you get the point.

Boolit Master

I've been shooting the apx 250 gr SAECO 945 with a gas check or the SAECO plain based #458 both sized to .452 backed by 10grs of HERCO in my Rossi for about 10 years and I'm totally satisfied with the shot to shot accuracy. Never slugged the bore. The 45 Colt loads were originally loaded for my Blackhawk. After printing nice clusters with the Rossi I never bothered.

I also shot various handloads loads using lighter 185-230 gr home castings and even some GI hardball slugs. My Rossi and me simply prefer the heavier slugs.

Super Moderator

..............Okay to provide some graphics for this thread, I was forced to work overtime

These 3 cases are 'Winchester' headstamp, and were fired in my Rossi M92. It was the only unprocessed 45 Colt I had on hand. They hadn't been tumbled yet and all I did was to wipe them off with a paper towel. Each one was sized in a different die. One carbide unit and 2 steel size dies. One of 2016 make and the RCBS dated 1977. I trust you can see the vestigial 'shoulder' formed on the 2 cases used in the Redding & RCBS dies? The so called 'neck' formed with the Redding die is much shorter then that made by the RCBS die. Obviously the cases sized in the "Steel" dies is not worked as hard. I suppose that's why Redding came out with their dies using 2 separate carbide inserts in the same die?

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance