MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 327 Mag Snubbie

Boolit Master

327 Mag Snubbie

Are they worth it?
    Is the sixth round worth the extra cost?
    Will you get enough velocity out of the short barrel?
    Just use 32H&R Mag in it?

For some reason this little round is weighing heavy on my mind lately. Would like. Snub nose with a sixth round, but want it with some *** behind it too!

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    I have ruger sp101 3 in 327 and I love it.

Terry

Boolit Buddy
    If you want a heavy hitting relatively small gun then look at the Taurus Public Defender. 45 long colt or 410 shot shell. 2 1/2 inch barrel I think.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    If you want a heavy hitting relatively small gun then look at the Taurus Public Defender. 45 long colt or 410 shot shell. 2 1/2 inch barrel I think.

I would not call the Public Defender or Governor or Judge a small pistol. Nor do I have any use or desire to own such a thing.

I know guys that do and they love them! But I just don't see the need nor the draw. But someone is buying them cause they are always asked for at gun shops and never sitting around long.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TJF1 View Post
    I have ruger sp101 3 in 327 and I love it.

Terry
    That is what I'm looking at!

Boolit Buddy
    I just mentioned it because I did carry one IWB for awhile. Sold it to a friend who wanted one. Sold it because I wasn't practicing with it enough. To put 20 or more rounds through it became too much for my hands, wrist and forearm. Cool gun, big felt recoil!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    That is what I'm looking at!

That's not a snub nose. You want a LCR if you're looking for a small pocket revolver. I own the same SP101 and have nothing good to say about it. Had to be sent back to Ruger to be finished. Should have never made it past QC. And it has a horrendous trigger. If I actually sold guns I didn't like it would be the first one to go. But I keep everything I buy and I'm a fan of the 327 Fed. It's a range toy that gets limited use and nothing more.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I've used a Taurus 327B2 for about 5 years now. It is fine with 327, good muzzle blast but hell.....whadda ya 'spect from a 2". Seems to be a good gun. The hammer/trigger action is a lot better than my 2 SP-101's, but they are the newer 4.2" and are used for different purposes. I'd buy another 327B2 in a flash.......

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd buy a snubby 327 in a heat beat if I came across one at a reasonable price. Right one of my favorite guns is my Single Seven 7.5 incher and I have been shooting it often. I'd like a 2 or 3 inch SP101 if I could find one, but one of the S&W's would be even nicer.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't speak to the portion of the OP's question concerning a short barrel as my two 327 FM revolvers have a 4" and a 5 1/2" barrel. OTOH, I can safely state that ANY of the 327s can easily be loaded with any of the shorter 32 rounds, including 32 H&R, 32 S&W and S&W Long, and even the semi-rimmed 32 auto. If you reload, I'm sure you can find a proper round for your snubbie utilizing a fairly fast-burning powder and a medium light bullet. The 327 is an extremely versatile cartridge, and if it had come out in the '80s when revolvers were much more popular, it would have been an instant success and would still be growing quickly.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

327 Mag Snubbie

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    That's not a snub nose. You want a LCR if you're looking for a small pocket revolver. I own the same SP101 and have nothing good to say about it. Had to be sent back to Ruger to be finished. Should have never made it past QC. And it has a horrendous trigger. If I actually sold guns I didn't like it would be the first one to go. But I keep everything I buy and I'm a fan of the 327 Fed. It's a range toy that gets limited use and nothing more.
    I beg to differ. I would carry the SP101 in 327! 3 or 4 barrel.

If it's not liked, it goes down the road. Life is too short to live with negative people or clean bad guns.

Last edited by Lefty Red; 02-15-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Boolit Man
    I just had a 4.2" SP 101 in 327 follow me home today. Lee 90 gr swc, and dies arrived also. I wanted it for a small game gun with 32 mag, being the primary round, although I did pick up 100 starline 327 to play with. Can't wait to get something put together and get it out.

Boolit Master

If you are carrying the gun the sixth round is worth it when the methhead you hit 5 times still standing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    If you are carrying the gun the sixth round is worth it when the methhead you hit 5 times still standing.
    So true!

One or two rounds difference when talking about a 15 or 17 capacity weapon is nothing to really worry about. But when it's 5 or 7 rounds, then it matters a whole lot!

Lefty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HBAR2989 View Post
    I just had a 4.2" SP 101 in 327 follow me home today. Lee 90 gr swc, and dies arrived also. I wanted it for a small game gun with 32 mag, being the primary round, although I did pick up 100 starline 327 to play with. Can't wait to get something put together and get it out.
    Favorite shop has one like that and it's a dandy! Really wish it had the half lug Barrel like the 22lr version.

Boolit Master

I have every .327 Fed mag Ruger has made and love all of them. The LCR is ideal as a carry piece and my SP101 has a fantastic trigger and shoots like a laser beam. You could choose something much worse but I expect these will scratch your itch quite well.

Boolit Master
    I carried an SP101 in .357Mag for several years. I figured if 5 rounds didn't do the job one more wouldn't make that much difference. I did carry a speed strip or two in my pocket

Purchased new in 2008. Nice and smooth trigger. Not bad single action either. Shooting .38 spl with it was fun. Even 125gn .357 loads weren't bad. I could shoot a box full even with the stock grips.

I carried it in a pancake holster or in the front pocket of my motorcycle pants. The pancake holster was much more concealing than I thought it would be. Just a shirt over it worked as long as I was careful to not make it print.

Boolit Master

I still do not understand your definition of a snubby. Everything you have mentioned thus far does not fall into that category. The LCR is the only one that fits. I hope you find what your looking for.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I still do not understand your definition of a snubby. Everything you have mentioned thus far does not fall into that category. The LCR is the only one that fits. I hope you find what your looking for.
    I think you are the one with a too strict definition of a snubbie. But hey, no harm and no foul. Be safe!

Boolit Master
    I own 7, 327 revolvers and have a Henry lever on order, so you could say I like the 327! I carry a SP101 like you are looking at EVERY day and would bet my life on it! The only complaint I've ever had about mine is it impacts high and there is not a replacement blade to fix it. Most are not aware that the 327 Federal in factory form uses small rifle primers and takes a heavier spring to reliably ignite them. So 327 Federal guns generally have heavier pulls than 38s.