Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you do onion rings

Banned

how do you do onion rings

ive tried my own batter and tried the store bought stuff but have never been impressed. What am I'm overlooking??

Vendor Sponsor

The buttermilk marinade maybe? GF uses 2C whole milk buttermilk, 1tbsp Tony Cachere's Creole Seasoning. For the dry mix she uses 1C all purpose flour with 1/2tsp Garlic Powder, 1tsp Smoked Paprika.

Dredge onion in buttermilk, roll in flour, drop into 2" or more of hot oil, 350 degrees, until done..

^^This is what she uses for chicken too and it ROCKS! Can marinade chicken in buttermilk for a few hours before frying, dang near nails the Colonel's Original Recipe!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I use Krusteaz pancake mix. I just mix it with enough water. A bit sweet but not much, browns up nice.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Moderator Emeritus

I too have had "interesting" results when doing o-rings. I think the problem is the most common one in most all cooking - being in too big a hurry? I keep remembering that old saying, "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" Now that I don't eat french fries, O-rings have become a small staple in my diet. Still has some flour, but not that much, and if I eat no more carbs, it helps keep me going longer and better. Spicing the batter/flour really makes them great.

Boolit Grand Master

I have done them rolling them in egg whites and Panko bread crumbs. or a simple beer batter.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I use Krusteaz pancake mix. I just mix it with enough water. A bit sweet but not much, browns up nice.
    A good inexpensive base.
    Salt an pepper and you're good to go. An old neighbor bought a small restaurant deep fryer at an auction for nest to nothing. Krusteaz was his batter.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

Tempura batter similar to this one. http://www.food.com/recipe/tempura-batter-108851
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

Dip in milk then into seasoned flour for a really crispy coating but it doesn't always stick. Instead fo rings I make onion nuggets, slice so you have 1/2 x 1/2 inch pieces of onion that are bite size nuggets of tasty! Gives them a scoop shape that makes them good for dipping into ranch or salsa or whatever floats your boat! Sometimes I do a simple beer batter, soak onions in milk for 30 minutes then dip in beer batter of choice. I ALWAYS add some onion powder to the beer batter to boost the onion flavor.

Boolit Grand Master

Never made them but you guys are a bad influence. I wilk give them a try this weekend.

Perma-Banned

Krusteaz...hard to beat.

If y'all want some good onion rings, come see me the last weekend in April. I live in Vidalia Ga...home of the Vidalia Sweet Onion (if you have ever heard of them) and that is the weekend of our Onion Festival...good onion rings are everywhere.

Onion rings? I just go to Sonic.

Boolit Grand Master

Moss or House Audrey Seasoning mix. Either the Mildly Hot, Seafood or even Chicken. I use either water or club soda/beer to make the batter. Wet the rings with water, dredge in dry mix then pull through the wet mix until coated and deep fry
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Dip in milk then into seasoned flour for a really crispy coating but it doesn't always stick. Instead fo rings I make onion nuggets, slice so you have 1/2 x 1/2 inch pieces of onion that are bite size nuggets of tasty! Gives them a scoop shape that makes them good for dipping into ranch or salsa or whatever floats your boat! Sometimes I do a simple beer batter, soak onions in milk for 30 minutes then dip in beer batter of choice. I ALWAYS add some onion powder to the beer batter to boost the onion flavor.
    Mary, to get the flour to stick follow my directions in the post above this one. Dredge in dry first then into a batter. Thinner coating use water, puffier batter use carbonated water or beer.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

There are several beer battered recipes out there. First important point is to marinate in beer and vinegar. This makes the rings "snappy",
    You don't pull out the whole ring from the batter on the first bite.

Second point is the cornstarch to dry the ring to take the batter.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Never made them but you guys are a bad influence. I wilk give them a try this weekend.
    To quote Slick Willy Clintons Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders, "Hey, we're probably all gonna di of something"
    may as well be deep fried onion rings.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Onion rings? I just go to Sonic.
    Or the bowling alley. Their's are great!! A lot easier. The neighbors deepfryer made awesome onion rings.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

This is for a dry coat not battered onion ring, different animal!

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Mary, to get the flour to stick follow my directions in the post above this one. Dredge in dry first then into a batter. Thinner coating use water, puffier batter use carbonated water or beer.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a counter top deep fryer, gets used about once a week for a treat for supper and the occasional snack.

Back when I owned a Sonic Drive in, we'd run the OR's in ice water for 1/2 hr, then toss them in flour for a good coating.
    Then we'd let the ORs dry, later we'd dip the ORs in our regular, melted soft serve, then run them in the bread crumbs and let them dry.
    The bread crumbs were from Keeblers. It's the only thing I would eat at the Sonic. This is the standard way they do them, yes, does take time if you want GOOD Rings.

Boolit Grand Master

Cut side to side rather than up and down???