RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Which Furnace for Ladle Casting?

Boolit Buddy

Which Furnace for Ladle Casting?

I've been using a Lee 20 lb bottom pour pot for casting. I have PID and have bypassed the control so I don't rely on the pot's controller for temperature control. I have recently begun doing some ladle casting and find the mechanical linkages and all to be in my way when doing so. I got to looking at some of the non-bottom pour pots thinking they would be larger in diameter, but it looks like they may all be about the same. Since I'm casting roughly 500 grain bullets, I'm thinking I want to stick with a 20 lb pot, as I see some are 10 and even less. Are there any 20 lb pots out there that are larger in diameter than the Lee Magnum Melter? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money and precise temperature control is not an issue as I have a PID for that. Just looking for something that will get hot and have a large enough opening I don't make a mess all over the bench.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

A simple way is to simply buy a pot and propane hot plate camp stove. You can use any pot you desire on it then. I like a bigger pot when casting also. It makes controlling heat easier and with big bullets it lasts a lot longer, my current casting pots are on the larger side one is from BACO and holds 30Lbs the other is a cutoff propane tank and holds just over 100lbs. both pots set on the same burner depending on which one I want to use. Buffalo Arms company has some electric pots also. Another is to do a search for solder pots

Milrifle I think if it was me I would melt out the bottom pour, remove the offending hardware, plug the spout semi permanently and use it.

I don't cast a lot of big boolits so for me a little lee dipper pot works fine. Pretty sure it is only 5 lbs in the pot with a little room at the top.

If I needed bigger I'll fire up the cajun cooker and throw a big cast pan on it.

Propane camp stove would also work with a good cast pot. Just make sure somethings not going to give when it is loaded up with melted lead.

Boolit Buddy

I want to keep the bottom pour as I use it for most of the casting I do, but when it comes to these big Minnies, the ladle seems to give more consistent results.

Boolit Master

I wish I had kept the link.

There's a company that makes industrial furnaces. If you call they have a really nice furnace for ladle pouring.

Found it in my history. Waage.com Do a search here on the forum for more info.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 20 lb Lyman furnace and it should be adequate for your needs.

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have a 20 lb Lyman furnace and it should be adequate for your needs.

Don Verna
    I recently bought one of these also for ladle casting instead of using my bottom pour pot; it works very well too.
    Lyn
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Buddy

Thanks guys. What model is your Lyman? What I'm seeing is the Big Dipper which is only 10 lbs. Lyman's website appears to be down, but the 10 lb pot is all I see on the various vendors' websites.

Boolit Grand Master

Take the linkage out and plug the hole in the bottom with a screw. Done I have 3 this way bought used all under 10 bucks cause they leaked!

Boolit Master
    I bought a Lyman Big Dipper just for pure lead, ladle use, on my 535 gr bullets. Works great.

Boolit Master

I have been happy with the Lee Magnum Melter for 7+ years.

I use a 2 quart camp oven and a gas ring from the camping store. A 9 pound gas bottle lasts me for ages, and I'm sure it is a heck of a lot cheaper than electricity. It's been my preferred method for the last ten years, and I don't see any reason to change.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Waage 25# pot and 2 Saeco 20# pots . With a PID running the temp on the Waage I cast until the lead level drops to about half full and then add molten alloy from one of the Saecos and bring the level up to full. This way I can cast with the same alloy and keep the pot full and not wait for the lead to melt. This speeds up the casting session. Usually after casting that much lead I am ready for a break. You must have enough alloy mixed to fill all the pots before you begin.

Banned

Waage K4757
    25 pounds
    Mine cost around $200.00
    Well worth it.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Magnum Melter , it puts a smile on my face
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"