RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a mill for christmas

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Sounds like machine shop tools are like leverguns; if you let a couple hang around pretty soon you look up and there's a whole bunch of them. Not going to start down that road. Oops, forgot about my drill press. Does an arbor press count? Surely not a bench grinder? How about a mitre saw? May be too late already, lol.
    I think I'm pretty safe actually. Not smart enough to run a mill or a lathe and too lazy to learn.

How true how true my brother is on his way Tuesday to pick up my new tool (toy) with his low boy. A M4L/140 meuser 40"x275" lathe I just bought 2 day ago the crane guy there will load it Thursday morning not cheap. Now I just got to get ahold of the roof guys to rip the roof off the shop and another crane at my end also not cheap.
    The wife said its getting out of hand I told her now I can do drive shafts hehehe. Don't ask y but the price was ok. You are going to love that mill and they will reproduce quickly.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Had to dig around for spare cash, but got enough together to buy a used metal mill.
    It a small table top Grizzly G8689. Came with a belt drive(replaced broken plastic gear drive) and some collets.
    Mounted it on a spare tool box.
    One last tool I'm wanting is a TIG welder.
    Maybe next year.
    Attachment 183131
    Web site picture.
    abunaitoo, have you used this yet? what do you think?

There was a older (as like 15 years old) Speedway Mill, just like this one the local swap, the guy suggested a price of $400, but was open to offers. I think I could use one of these, but won't spend $400...maybe I'll offer him a swap?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Haven't had any time to play with it yet.

Boolit Buddy
    What projects are on your agenda if you had a tig welder?

Boolit Man
    I ended up getting a Grizzly 8x40 vertical Mill with a 6" bridgeport vise (kind of oversized for this little mill but works), set of toeclamps and hold downs, and a full set of collets and an old South Bend 13x72 lathe with a bunch of cutter stock and quick change tool holders as well as the old style tool holders and a bunch of other stuff with it... $1100 for all of it... felt like I did okay. Cutting chips is a sickness... and it's very very true... there will never be a last tool until they throw dirt in your face.

Boolit Buddy

I am saving up for, and looking for, a metal lathe, a mill, and a wood lathe. My fiance knows I acquire and use tools, and has no problem with my wants. She says she wants a larger house anyways!
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Boolit Master

Sadly, the machine tool is the cheap part! All the accessories you will buy (just HAVE TO HAVE XYZ) is the expensive part and it NEVER ends!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    Sadly, the machine tool is the cheap part! All the accessories you will buy (just HAVE TO HAVE XYZ) is the expensive part and it NEVER ends!
    Truer words were never spoken.

I have a 17"/25" X 40" WEBB gap-bed engine lathe and a Bridgeport Series I 9" X 48" mill. The lathe is about a 1980 build, the mill is a 1985 model. Both are very low-hour machines. The amount of tooling I've accumulated is easily worth double what the machines are worth.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789