Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee collet neck sizer question

Lee collet neck sizer question

Can you size just a part of the neck with the lee collet die like you can with a regular neck sizer or is it all or nothing.I was thinking of getting one for my 30-06 but like to just size enough of the neck that contacts the boolit bands.

Thanks,Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I don't think you can via a simple adjustment of the die in the press. It would most likely involve shortening the length of the collet portion of the die that contacts the neck and that wouldn't be reversible. May want to pick up an extra collet from Lee to experiment with.

-ktw

Boolit Master

From the factory, the die will size the neck almost all the way to the shoulder.
    You could make up a washer to lay on top of the shell holder to back the die off some.

Jack

lee neck sizer die

I have one for 308 and I've been using it to size 30-30 when shooting cast boolits. Seems it just sizes the top of the neck of 30-30 so i don't see why it wouldn't do the same on 30-06 by backing off it on the press. But I think the real answer to the question is yea it's all or nothing where it does size the case. Hope I exlpained that right.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master
    The ram on the press actually pushes the collet up into the die, forcing it into a taper that closes the collet and thus sizing the neck.

A washer won't make a bit of difference However you can change how much the neck gets sized by changing the decapping rod!

I found this out with collet dies for my 7.62 X39! It came with two decapping rods one 311 and the other 308. Two change boolit diameter ( .312 to .308) I just switch the rods!

I'd "mike" my boolits and call lee for the correct decapping rod that you think will work and your set!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by heavyMetal View Post
    The ram on the press actually pushes the collet up into the die, forcing it into a taper that closes the collet and thus sizing the neck.

A washer won't make a bit of difference ....

It is the top face of the shellholder that contacts the collet.
    A heavy washer placed on top of the shellholder, around the case, will close the collet with the case partially retracted, (The die will have to be set up with the washer in place.)

Jack

Boolit Master
    I find that I can vary the pressure/crimp of my Lee Collet Die by screwing the die in or out, providing from near non-existent pressure to heavier. It seems to work well, but so far, I have only tried very a very minimal crimp.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Sniper- I think you are confusing the Lee collet neck sizer die with the Lee collet crimp die. An easy mistake!

Thanks all, Sounds like I'll just get a standard neck sizer as it will do what I'm trying to do with out additional work.

Tim

Boolit Master

Tim,
    If you are going to back it out halfway to partial neck size, just do it with your regular full length sizer die. Unless your chamber is quite large, the body and shoulder sections of the die shouldn't touch once you have backed the die out 3/32" or so.

Jack

Boolit Master
    I still think the collet die is the way to go.

jhrosier is correct a washer will activate the collet action of the die but most "over the counter" washers are only .080 to .095 thick and I think you may want a bit more of the neck sized than that, or not. A thicker "spacer" could be made to experiment with.

The cool part of the Lee collet die is it sizes to a mandrel. When you place an order for the die, yes you'll have to buy this one direct from Lee, because they can make a mandrel specific to the boolit diameter your using. Just tell them the diameter you want when you order. Then slight adjustment of the die itself will "fine tune" the neck tightness.

This, and the fact that the collet die reduces case "streching" a bunch, are IMHO worth the effort of getting the Lee collet die the first time!

Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post
    Tim,
    If you are going to back it out halfway to partial neck size, just do it with your regular full length sizer die. Unless your chamber is quite large, the body and shoulder sections of the die shouldn't touch once you have backed the die out 3/32" or so.

Jack
    Been doing that for years now and works well on most ,But with this 30-06 it still slightly sizes the lower portion of the case. Again thanks,Tim

Quote Originally Posted by heavyMetal View Post

A washer won't make a bit of difference.
    JHRosier is correct. A washer can do this job! Here is the article that explains the process.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...swap/index.asp

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldphile View Post
    JHRosier is correct. A washer can do this job!
    Here is the article that explains the process.
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...swap/index.asp
    Uh.... why not put a washer under the -die once-? :)
    (not sure what the situation is with this particular die ok?)

Anyway, I do that with my old Pacific C press. :)
    (bought an after market "shell holder" ram for it in the 80's)

The Pacific's stroke is shorter than my old RCBS Rock Chucker.
    I've adjusted all the dies to fit the RC and they also fit the Pacific...
    ...if... a big ol' 7/8" washer is placed under the die. :)

Also have a washer to do the same thing that-goes-with the Lee Hand-Press.
    It is a drilled-out 3/4" washer because it was the thickness needed.
    (and I had it on hand ;)

Alvin in AZ