Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is going on with Alliant powders?

The powder and other component related manufactures would be foolish to invest in high cost infrastructure to meet current demand with no way of knowing when the market will become saturated.

If an entire batch of production is going out the door and getting sold rapidly and at an advantageous price.... what is the problem again? There is some risk of people finding an alternative powder but with the mass of reloading information for say 2400 they can be pretty sure people looking for load information for a caliber are going to get steered toward one of the "dependable" powders that many have written about. Too many already have pet loads for Red Dot, or Unique, or BE or.... so even if a few switch brands all those pet loads are already published ready to pull in some reloader who goes looking for a new load.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    Yeah I think you are right. I have noticed the return of primers. Not long ago you could not find them anywhere.
    Watch your back.
    Shoot Straight.
    Conserve ammo.
    Never cut a deal with a Dragon. From the Shadowrun tabletop Role Playing Game.

Boolit Mold
    Just out of curiosity, how long has Winchester 452-AA been off the market? When I shot IPSC, 5.2 grains was the sweet spot for a 200 grain semi-wadcutter. I still have about a 1/5 of a 3 pound can left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    OK
    The search is on for 2400
    Both bass pro shops near me and the one in dallas had it. Of course the price tag was 34.99 per lb....
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    Gun show in PA two weeks ago was fully stocked at all vendors.

Our LGS had it for $156 / 8 lbs. LGS told me back in Oct of 2016, Alliant would pay shipping on orders of 2,000 lbs or more, LSG had orders in for more than 2k, however Alliant would call and say they could not ship 2k but could ship 1k and ask if they still wanted the 1k. Therefore prices went up to cover the shipping costs. Powder went up maybe $3 / lb or so as compared to a few years ago. I think they said they went from Sept 2011 to Mid 2013 without any significant Alliant shipments. During that time very small shipments came in just a few pounds at a time.

Boolit Buddy
    Try Wideners, they don't have 2400 but they have 35 items by Alliant in stock today. I found PV has raised their prices and Widener has lowered theirs.

Boolit Bub
    The NRA posted on their Facebook page that in 2016, there were almost 28,000,000 background checks conducted. If each check resulted in a sale, and each person only bought 1 50 round pack of ammo that equates to 1,400,000,000 rounds of ammo. That's not counting the numbers of firearms we already had prior to that. That doesn't even account for how many people cast their own. I'll bet if there was an anonymous census type questionnaire of how many rounds people bought or made in a year that it would be quite astounding.

Since 2008 there been alot new gun owners and reloaders for how things been. That did not help.The way it looks more is getting into it now.because for how the past 8 years been and all that been going on.I see that more stuff is showen up now. But not fully like it use to be.Time will tell. Also alot of new ones dose not know what the price of it use to be before all this. So most are willing to pay what is out there instead of looking around for it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Went to the gun show in Cedar Rapids Friday night. Bobs reloading had a full selection of Alliant powders both 1 & 8 pounders. I got 2-1s of Blue Dot. It was 19.05 per #. He was stocked pretty well on all powders, better than I have seen in the last 3 or 4 years.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Gee, Marlin--a replacement for 2400? May it never be!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet06 View Post
    I hope if you find a replacement for 2400 you will be kind enough to share the information.
    Absolutely.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Caster1977 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how long has Winchester 452-AA been off the market? When I shot IPSC, 5.2 grains was the sweet spot for a 200 grain semi-wadcutter. I still have about a 1/5 of a 3 pound can left.

I would guess around the late 80's early 90's replaced by WST

Whenever I'm in a store that sells gun powder, I always look for some of Alliant's powder (bullseye, Unique or Power Pistol). I almost never see any, if I do, I'll buy some. I've stocked up, but it took a long time to get there.

Boolit Mold
    SMLEKID, I'm sure glad I stored the 452AA and the others in a sealed 20mm ammo can all this time! It still goes bang and I'm not seeing any difference in performance, thank goodness!

Load data was in the 1991 guide. I don't have the mid or late 90s guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Caster1977 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how long has Winchester 452-AA been off the market? W

I just found Unique at Scheels Sporting Goods. Salesman apologized to me when he said it was $21.99 and not the $20 he thought off the top of head when he went to the back room to get it.

I had to look to make sure it was a full pound package and thought it would have been more $$$ considering current prices and I haven't seen it for a loooong time.

i think now I should have gotten two if it was a possible mismarked price!

Just ordered another 8 lb jug of Red Dot at 154$ plus shipping and hazmat.

With shipping and hazmat its right at 25$ a pound.
    Pretty reasonable IMO.

Boolit Buddy
    LGS has pounds of Unique in stock.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I live in southcentral Pennsylvania.

My son had a couple of guns at a local gunshop for some modifications/repairs that he picked up Saturday.
    While we were out, we stopped at a couple other shops... just window shopping.

Powder supplies were very good at several shops...Unique, 2400, etc. in good supply...prices were in the $20.99-21.99 range for 1lb containers. 8lb canisters averaged around $125. I did not see any 8lb canisters of 2400, however. Some shops were somewhat higher per pound...those shops have been higher in price since the recent shortages began several years ago. At least two of the shops were asking as much as $34.99 for a pound of 2400 or Unique, as well as several other powders.
    Primers remain in good supply at almost every shop...again some of the shops that raised their prices during the recent shortages have not lowered them to pre-panic levels, but most have.

I didn't buy any...pretty well stocked up myself.

Boolit Master

In southwestern Michigan try On Target on M43 west of Kalamazoo. They had plenty in August when I was there and I got two pounds of Bullseye. There is also Schantz Supply on M89 on the west side of Otsego. They were running a deal on 8 lb jugs for a killer price but you had to buy $100 in other supplies, I did not see this as a major problem because their primers were priced reasonably and would be easy to get $100 worth of them and not think you were being took.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE